Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from the experts. What do you guys think about Quaker State Synthetic oil? The reason I ask is my R/T is getting ready for its first oil change and O'reillys has it for $5.69 with a $5.69 mail in rebate - basically free (limit 6 quarts).

Any opinions, thoughts? I know I'm going to go synthetic but I haven't really heard anything about Quaker State.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
a. you need 7 qts remember.

b. search the forum. I personally wouldnt cook grill cheese with quaker. I'd pick royal purple, however my opinion aside most people on here run either mobil 1 or royal purple.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I need some advice from the experts. What do you guys think about Quaker State Synthetic oil? The reason I ask is my R/T is getting ready for its first oil change and O'reillys has it for $5.69 with a $5.69 mail in rebate - basically free (limit 6 quarts).

Any opinions, thoughts? I know I'm going to go synthetic but I haven't really heard anything about Quaker State.

Thanks!
It is free for a reason. The day I use any Quaker State or Penzoil product is the day I burn all my tools and run my cars in a demolition derby. Quaker State is crap and from personal experience locked up a 302 Chevrolet engine with less than 60 thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
quaker is the one with the commercials of like flaming horses running down the highway right? "Q power"... or is it the one w/ the sludge dropping out of the sky onto some1?

neways... if it's synthetic i'd say buy it. i dont think theres much of a difference, just get a nice filter and change it on time and theres not much more u can do

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've been running Quaker Synthethic in ALL my company vehicles for years ( and that 6-vehicles).

Good oil, good protection w/out the freaky insane cost of Mobile 1.

Unless you are doing high performance stuff AND driving....royal purple/mobile1 is way over priced for what you get/need.

For daily, average joe driving, Excellant bang for the buck!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i am not a fan of any Pennozoil products (which who owns Quaker State now). there is just something about the smell that i dont like, plus i heard to many horror stories about it in the past.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I was running Quaker Synthethic until this week and now I switched brands. I went to the auto parts store and they didn't have any Quaker 5w20 and they said they don't sell it any more. I went to another auto parts store and they told me the same thing.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That's all i use is Penzoil products...never one problem, ever. i have a 1986 buick electra that has never burned oil a day in its life, and a 1995 ford thunderbird 4.6 that burned oil when i bought it..i put Q 20w-50 in it and never saw another puff again.

And I work for Jiffy Lube...about 65 cars everyday, never one problem either...as long as you use what is recommended for the car, and use the correct amount, there will be no problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amusing that so many have strong feelings about -- Oil. Is it not true that they all have to meet mandated specifications? Then its pretty much marketing unless you have some independent test that clearly demonstrates the superiority of one brand over another in a meaningful way. I'm guessing variability in engine build quality/ tolerance stack up affects engine life more than the brand of oil used, assuming oil changes according to schedule.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Amusing that so many have strong feelings about -- Oil. Is it not true that they all have to meet mandated specifications? Then its pretty much marketing unless you have some independent test that clearly demonstrates the superiority of one brand over another in a meaningful way. I'm guessing variability in engine build quality/ tolerance stack up affects engine life more than the brand of oil used, assuming oil changes according to schedule.
x2

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I prefer Mobil 1 but for ONE oil change that is free, a top rated (SJ now?) synthetic will fine, I'm sure. There is a lot to be said for saving $50 or so and still using a synthetic.

Jiffy Lube couldn't stay in business if the oil was that bad. I used Penzoil almost exclusively for over 100k HARD miles in my high-revving '91 Taurus SHO. Never a problem (with the engine,that is).

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I just made this up:

Engine oil choices are like condom choices. They all do the same thing, some better than others and we all have a personal preference. You could probably find a horror story with every brand....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just made this up:

Engine oil choices are like condom choices. They all do the same thing, some better than others and we all have a personal preference. You could probably find a horror story with every brand....
Thanks for all the great info. I think I will go with the Mobil 1 oil as it seems to be the favored. The thought of getting a $6.00 synthetic was just so tempting. With several relatives living close by, I could have gotten a few of them free.

As for the condom, remember, putting a small sized condom on a "hemi" sized member leaves you with no protection at all!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I guess no ones heard of the parafin stories about Pennzoil before clogging oil gallies over time. i will stick to Mobil 1 or Valvoline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.