Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was a thread or some posts that showed how to install a Quaife differential on the SRT Chargers? I know the rearends are one of the first things to break on these cars, so I figured that this would be a wise upgrade to counter this problem. Since I don't know how this thing hooks up in there, figured I would ask.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I guess this has not been done by anyone yet? Maybe some of the vendors could post some instructions?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was wondering if there was a thread or some posts that showed how to install a Quaife differential on the SRT Chargers? I know the rearends are one of the first things to break on these cars, so I figured that this would be a wise upgrade to counter this problem. Since I don't know how this thing hooks up in there, figured I would ask.
I haven't done the upgrade but if you are doing it upgrade the half shafts! It isn't the rear end that goes it's the half shafts.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard that the rear end was more likely to go before the half shafts. Though, I would imagine that it's probably close to a 50/50 split to which you will break first. Was just curious about the Quaife because it has traction benefits over the stock rear end, whereas the upgraded half shafts are just beefier versions of the same thing. Hopefully people will continue to give whatever info they have on the subject, it will be appreciated :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A post from some of the vendors, or ANY for that matter, would be appreciated. You guys are trying to sell these things, so tell me what I need to know in order for me to be able to buy with confidence.

It doesn't look all that hard. Looks like you just rip out the old one, take the big gear off of it and put it on the Quaife unit and re-install. The thing that I can't seem to find is torque numbers or any instructions at all.

Looking forward to some input from the vendors.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Halfshafts break commonly............not the differential(that I've ever heard of). If you haven't done rearend work before I wouldn't even consider installing a quaife yourself as there are a few special tools you most likely do not posses. If you plan on highly modding the car and racing it you might as well save up the $5,000 and buy some 1000hp axles and the quaife at the same time and have it professionally installed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It doesn't look all that hard. Looks like you just rip out the old one, take the big gear off of it and put it on the Quaife unit and re-install. The thing that I can't seem to find is torque numbers or any instructions at all.

eeeehhhhh.....really, I'm not sure if it is that easy. I've done rear axles before and I needed a dial indicator, shims, etc. to do it right.

If this was that easy, then it would be my next mod. However, I think there may be more to it. You need that ring gear to mesh correctly with the pinion gear. If they don't then....BOOM! :knockout:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well....I was sort of being a bit crude about it tbh. I know that it needs to sit right and be shimmed, but it's something that anyone with enough patience to do it right can do. It's not like turning your 6.1L into a 7.0L, that sort of thing needs to be done by a shop.....the Quaife doesn't, or so I think at least.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Halfshafts break commonly............not the differential(that I've ever heard of). If you haven't done rearend work before I wouldn't even consider installing a quaife yourself as there are a few special tools you most likely do not posses. If you plan on highly modding the car and racing it you might as well save up the $5,000 and buy some 1000hp axles and the quaife at the same time and have it professionally installed.
agreed

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I thought about doing this on my R/T charger some where down the line of modding it. I have a dream look for my Nightstalker and a tommyz design paint job coming in the near future. I want a one of a kind chariot. I priced the cost of this change and it anywhere from 1800 to 2300 for parts not counting install if outside help is needed.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Problem is the stock open rear end is crap.

Try pulling out of a parking lot into traffic and you have two choices:

A. 1 wheel spinning and little forward movement

B. ESP on, no wheels spinning, and no forward movement

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
A post from some of the vendors, or ANY for that matter, would be appreciated. You guys are trying to sell these things, so tell me what I need to know in order for me to be able to buy with confidence.

Looking forward to some input from the vendors.

Installation should take you a couple of hours depending on your mechanical knowledge. Torque Specs can be given by us or any vendor I would imagine. Being an installation facility we have the specs on the computers the techs use. Here is a few photos on a FWD Talon to give you a little better (not much) understanding of the Quaife Install...

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/quaife.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts