Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered my 2012 SRT8 in Oct of 2011, got in delivered Dec 15, 2011.

Been running QB and ACES for 127k miles. Swapped from OEM fluids at 500 miles on the odometer. Own a 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 6.4L. Car has ran like a champ for a very long long time. Was doing oil changes every 6K, 8k, 10k, and lastly every 15k after blackstone labs said I could extend it out each time. After 125K I started hearing a tick that got louder over time. Couldnt stop driving it for 2K miles as it was the only car I had and I couldn’t afford the repair cost yet. Shut the car down and parked it till I could send her off to be worked on. Car sat for just over 6 months before I sent it to Arrington Performance in MI. It’s still in their shop at this very moment. They already built the new 426 long block but after they pulled the engine I asked them to send me some internal pictures as soon as they opened her up. Charles from Arrington sent me the following pictures minus the ones of the QB/Aces containers. Arrington did not say anything bad about the pics, but they did say they have never seen one as black as this with this low of mileage and wanted to know what I was running. I told them QB and they continued to say it looks like the oil worked good, but again stated it was odd to see the metal this black.

Here is what it looks like. Never had anything else added to the car. Always QB, QB filter, and aces fuel treatment.

Car has always been Naturally Aspirated, no nitrous and fuel consistently 91 oct, with a diablo tune. Car also has had a catchcan since mile 500 too. Oil has always been dark/black at every oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One of the last results I had them take after doing a 15k interval and sticking to just 15k. It’s old and the Nickel they are asking about was possibly coming from the block itself, or 2 plated 90* elbows on a catchcan... no clue. Never figured that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk View attachment 291122

·
Vendor
10,315 Posts
Jonathan,

It looks like excessive fuel in the oil that turns to carbon making the internals black like that. Could have been a few bleeding injectors to make it look so black.

Typically we see engines look more like this:

260,000 mile 5.7L Hemi with ACES IV and QuantumBlue - 20 oil changes 4.jpg
260,000 mile 5.7L Hemi with ACES IV and QuantumBlue - 20 oil changes 3.jpg

When we took the 3.8L a part, this is what it looked like:

20170802_160513.jpg
20170802_160556.jpg
20170802_160836.jpg

The 3.6 L Pentastar looked like this at 116,600 miles:

20180919_111715.jpg

Good thing we had diesel quality detergency in the oils to keep it from slugging up.

Double check your tuner and what fuel trim you are using.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Forum Vendor for over 10 years!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve reached out via email to Charles Crandall and Matt King at Arrington Performance stating what we’ve gone over on the phone and what you posted here. Awaiting their reply. Also gave them your info if they’ed like to contact you directly. Thanks again for getting back to me so promptly. Originally I tried sending the original post in a message but the forum kept saying it was spam so I was forced to post it here.

Anyways... whatever info I get back I will post here to keep everyone informed.

The cam they will be installing is non VVT according to their site. (ST-3A https://www.shophemi.com/p-2140-arrington-st-3a-camshafts.aspx)

Compression will be 10.3 to 1

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ordered my 2012 SRT8 in Oct of 2011, got in delivered Dec 15, 2011.

Been running QB and ACES for 127k miles. Swapped from OEM fluids at 500 miles on the odometer. Own a 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 6.4L. Car has ran like a champ for a very long long time. Was doing oil changes every 6K, 8k, 10k, and lastly every 15k after blackstone labs said I could extend it out each time. After 125K I started hearing a tick that got louder over time. Couldnt stop driving it for 2K miles as it was the only car I had and I couldn’t afford the repair cost yet. Shut the car down and parked it till I could send her off to be worked on. Car sat for just over 6 months before I sent it to Arrington Performance in MI. It’s still in their shop at this very moment. They already built the new 426 long block but after they pulled the engine I asked them to send me some internal pictures as soon as they opened her up. Charles from Arrington sent me the following pictures minus the ones of the QB/Aces containers. Arrington did not say anything bad about the pics, but they did say they have never seen one as black as this with this low of mileage and wanted to know what I was running. I told them QB and they continued to say it looks like the oil worked good, but again stated it was odd to see the metal this black.

Here is what it looks like. Never had anything else added to the car. Always QB, QB filter, and aces fuel treatment.

Car has always been Naturally Aspirated, no nitrous and fuel consistently 91 oct, with a diablo tune. Car also has had a catchcan since mile 500 too. Oil has always been dark/black at every oil change.

Wait, ticking? With QB oil from start? All this time we've been told it would never happen. Guess that perfect score just went kaput!
Also, Blackstone would have called out any excessive fuel in the oil. So I doubt you had that happening.

You should have them install the Pursuit Oil Cooler on there while it's out and help control those oil temps when having fun.

Also, here is my heads and front of engine with 125K with police use, and Mobil 1. Def looks waaaaaay cleaner.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts