Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the way back from the coast I stopped and filled up the tank and when leaving didnt see that the gas station had a curb so I hit it and it blew out my tire (hit the side wall and tore a chunk out:( ) so only had les schwab around they only had the 225/ 60r -18 Tourevo, so I bought it and had them put it on. Now my question is should I buy another to have matching thread in the back?? I called and asked and they said I did not need to but I thought if I didnt the new tire would wear, or something would not be right.......

Any thoughts would be great.. THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Although you would probably be ok for normal driving on the road with two different types of tyre on one axle, it's really not good practice. It's worse if the tyres vary a great deal WRT performance and treadwear etc.

The best way is to have exactly the same types of tyre on an axle - that means the ways the tyres handle (wet dry) their traction and the way they perform dynamically is (as near as dam it) the same.

Having different types of tyre on the fronts can cause steering pull. On the rears it isn't so much on an issue.

Sorry I can't be more definitve.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good.. It's on the rear, so may be ok........May just end up paying another 250 for a 2nd tire... These frekin tires are expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Good.. It's on the rear, so may be ok........May just end up paying another 250 for a 2nd tire... These frekin tires are expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well - unless you're racing it at the track, or drive hard in the wet, you'll probably be fine. In a perfect world, you'd have the same tyres, but we all know about that perfect world.... :nervous s

As long as they are both high performance tyres, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Errrr.....Yee haw.....? :nervous s

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Don't you mean "Yee Haw, Guvnuh"?
First it's tyres...now it's yee haw.... :smoke:

You lot drive me nuts! :grin:

(yeah - very funny, BTW! :lol: ).

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Although you would probably be ok for normal driving on the road with two different types of tyre on one axle, it's really not good practice. It's worse if the tyres vary a great deal WRT performance and treadwear etc.

The best way is to have exactly the same types of tyre on an axle - that means the ways the tyres handle (wet dry) their traction and the way they perform dynamically is (as near as dam it) the same.

Having different types of tyre on the fronts can cause steering pull. On the rears it isn't so much on an issue.

Sorry I can't be more definitve.
This would make me a bit nervous. The thing you've got to worry about is how that tire's traction varies from the others' when you're "at the edge." You don't want the car swapping ends on you in an unexpectedly fast tight turn. :( If you're a relatively sedate driver, Arfur's right, it probably doesn't make any difference.

Best,

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
This would make me a bit nervous. The thing you've got to worry about is how that tire's traction varies from the others' when you're "at the edge." You don't want the car swapping ends on you in an unexpectedly fast tight turn. :( If you're a relatively sedate driver, Arfur's right, it probably doesn't make any difference.

Best,
Yeah - it's one of those "it's not a good idea" answers, but it can be done and the potential risk depends upon the manner of driving.

Personally, I wouldn't - but it's an expensive thing to swap out for what could be very low risk.....

Not an easy question, this one..... :nervous s

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took it down yesterday to have another new tire put on, I drive hard when I can so I think, as you have indicated, it was best to pay out and be safe. Still sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I took it down yesterday to have another new tire put on, I drive hard when I can so I think, as you have indicated, it was best to pay out and be safe. Still sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hehehe - good for you.... Sorry about the 'suckiness'..... :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts