Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the user's manual calls for 87 octane, but has anyone ever tried putting in 89 octane?

Any difference in performance or mileage? Or just waste of money?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I believe your V6 computer is calibrated for 87 octane..as your manual states...You can try a tank of 89 , see if you pick up better accell or MPG..

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The only thing for sure is your gasoline expenses will be more.

Seriously doubt you will experience increased range to offset the additional price increase. And any increase in performance would be observed with the gas pedal floored which shoots the potential fuel economy in the butt.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Using it will not hurt anything, but you won't see any performance gains unless your engine is knocking on the 87 octane fuel. Here in ABQ NM we have 86 and 91, and my cars run noticeably better with the 91. The 86 causes knock (pre-ignition) so the PCM retards the timing to stop the knock, making the car sluggish. I would use 89 if it were available. It won't hurt to try a tankful to see how it works for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
As your vehicle is not programmed to take advantage of a higher octane you won't notice any improvement, if anything, a slight decrease in power. The higher octane will essentially burn cooler which will result in lower power.

So yes, a waste of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts