Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! Just purchased a new to me 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack in jazz blue with 21k miles on it. This is my first performance car, as I've always had to have a highly fuel efficient car for long commutes to work. I've moved much closer to work now, so finally decided to treat myself at 41 with a fast car for once.

I bought the car from Carmax, so my question is: should I do anything with the car right now? I'm very DIY and have always worked on my own cars, but never had a high performance car like this before. Curious if I should do a preemptive oil change and/or drain/refill the rear diff or wait for the next oil change time. Anything else I should do or check out right now maintenance wise? Any mandatory mods that I should be doing right now? I've researched a bit here and it seems like the oil catch can should be high on my list. Just making sure I cover all my bases, so this car lasts me as long as I want to have it.

Thank you all for your time and advice!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you have any photos of it? It's very well possible the previous owner(s) may have modded it. However the mods are endless with these cars from oil catch can as you mentioned, exhaust, cosmetics, lighting, etc. I honestly would do an oil + filter change for peace of mind. As far as maintenance at 21k miles, just inspect brake pads/rotors and make sure its getting even tire wear. Be sure to download the owners manual which is free with a simple google search and follow manufacturers maintenance service schedule.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
How does the oil look? Me, personally, I always change the oil and filter on a used car purchace unless you have documented proof it was changed (not the word of the salesman) and the oil is clean along with the filter case looking new.
No harm in checking all your fluid levels, but transmission and power steering are not easy to check.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Id go over everything, but at 21k miles the motor is barely even broken in. Sure, do an oil change, but everything else should be good to go.

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dealers normally do an oil change before they put it on the lot unless you get it from a raggedy used car lot. I seriously doubt they do transmission and/or differential fluid changes to keep profits high. You’re car has low miles and it’s probably not due for schedule anyways. Check the intake air filter, cabin filter, wipers, and run the vin for any recalls. Have fun with it and don’t be like those idiot scatpack owners that do random burnouts and leave their car in a low gear so their exhaust gets heard.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Dealers normally do an oil change before they put it on the lot unless you get it from a raggedy used car lot. I seriously doubt they do transmission and/or differential fluid changes to keep profits high. You’re car has low miles and it’s probably not due for schedule anyways. Check the intake air filter, cabin filter, wipers, and run the vin for any recalls. Have fun with it and don’t be like those idiot scatpack owners that do random burnouts and leave their car in a low gear so their exhaust gets heard.
While that may be mostly true, I suspect they don't use the unicorn synthetic oil that MOPAR recommends or even any of the more common synthetic oils of the appropriate weight.

I agree that the first order of business would be to change the oil and filter. Some folks follow the MOPAR recommendations. Personally, I use Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic oil with a Fram XG2 filter (both available at Walmart). Don't use the Fram orange can or Toughguard versions of the filter. The XG2 is the one you want with synthetic media and better construction and is one of the best filters you can buy. With that recipe, it costs you about $50 to do your own oil change.

A bit dated, but a great source of info on oil filter quality:

Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

Best,

·
Registered
296 Posts
While that may be mostly true, I suspect they don't use the unicorn synthetic oil that MOPAR recommends or even any of the more common synthetic oils of the appropriate weight.

I agree that the first order of business would be to change the oil and filter. Some folks follow the MOPAR recommendations. Personally, I use Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic oil with a Fram XG2 filter (both available at Walmart). Don't use the Fram orange can or Toughguard versions of the filter. The XG2 is the one you want with synthetic media and better construction and is one of the best filters you can buy. With that recipe, it costs you about $50 to do your own oil change.

A bit dated, but a great source of info on oil filter quality:

Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

Best,
Rotella? That’s a Diesel engine oil. And fram? I rather use purolator.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Rotella? That’s a Diesel engine oil. And fram? I rather use purolator.
It used to be both diesel and gas. They've dropped the gas API rating from the packaging recently. I still continue to use it.

Edit: Heh, the jugs I have are old enough that they have the API SM rating on them. :)

The old data sheet is still on Shell's website:

https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/f43921f8-8e28-49d7-9022-09d19fffe655.pdf

Meets the requirements of API SN

You can certainly use whatever filter you'd like. The data I provided shows that the Fram filter I called out does a better job. At least it did, when those tests were run. This is the money shot:

Oil Filter Comparison Image - GM Truck Central

Darker post-filter paper means that more poo found its way through the oil filter.

Best,

·
Registered
2020 Charger Scat Pack
61 Posts
Hey All! Just purchased a new to me 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack in jazz blue with 21k miles on it. This is my first performance car, as I've always had to have a highly fuel efficient car for long commutes to work. I've moved much closer to work now, so finally decided to treat myself at 41 with a fast car for once.

I bought the car from Carmax, so my question is: should I do anything with the car right now? I'm very DIY and have always worked on my own cars, but never had a high performance car like this before. Curious if I should do a preemptive oil change and/or drain/refill the rear diff or wait for the next oil change time. Anything else I should do or check out right now maintenance wise? Any mandatory mods that I should be doing right now? I've researched a bit here and it seems like the oil catch can should be high on my list. Just making sure I cover all my bases, so this car lasts me as long as I want to have it.

All of this information is good advice. Yes, I would do a basic inspection and service. Especially the brakes and tires. That low of miles should still have plenty of brake pads and tire left on those Eagles. If there are different tires on it, then it may have been a burnout queen. Or, an owner that does not like water skis. Maybe a quick flip through the data stored in the performance pages and data center, assuming that all was not reset. That ought to give you an idea of the life it has lived. If those have been reset, I would be a bit suspect. Still not a deal breaker. A catch can is a must, even a cheap one is better than nothing. Quite honestly, I don't know why they are not factory yet. They keep the intake so much cleaner. Then again, that would be service department job security. I had a 2017 Daytona R/T in that color with a mid muffler delete. I do not recommend the delete on these 392s. Your neighbors will definitely hate you. I am looking to do cutouts on mine, in the near future. Probably a QTP Agressor system or a No Weeds. As far as oil and filters go, I do recommend a good quality filter rated for synthetic oil. I too use the Fram XG2. I chose to use Castrol Edge 0W40 synthetic. Mobile makes a good and affordable synthetic in that weight, as well. Being you are past your 3 year factory warranty, you could run whatever you want. Just because Pennzoil has SRT on their bottles, and charges a lot more, doesn't mean you have to use that. You do what you want based on your driving habits, weather conditions, and preference. Lastly, these cars are thirsty and require 91 octane or better to run right. Gasbuddy is my best friend. Post some pics of the beast when you can.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
All of this information is good advice. Yes, I would do a basic inspection and service. Especially the brakes and tires. That low of miles should still have plenty of brake pads and tire left on those Eagles. If there are different tires on it, then it may have been a burnout queen. Or, an owner that does not like water skis. Maybe a quick flip through the data stored in the performance pages and data center, assuming that all was not reset. That ought to give you an idea of the life it has lived. If those have been reset, I would be a bit suspect. Still not a deal breaker. A catch can is a must, even a cheap one is better than nothing. Quite honestly, I don't know why they are not factory yet. They keep the intake so much cleaner. Then again, that would be service department job security. I had a 2017 Daytona R/T in that color with a mid muffler delete. I do not recommend the delete on these 392s. Your neighbors will definitely hate you. I am looking to do cutouts on mine, in the near future. Probably a QTP Agressor system or a No Weeds. As far as oil and filters go, I do recommend a good quality filter rated for synthetic oil. I too use the Fram XG2. I chose to use Castrol Edge 0W40 synthetic. Mobile makes a good and affordable synthetic in that weight, as well. Being you are past your 3 year factory warranty, you could run whatever you want. Just because Pennzoil has SRT on their bottles, and charges a lot more, doesn't mean you have to use that. You do what you want based on your driving habits, weather conditions, and preference. Lastly, these cars are thirsty and require 91 octane or better to run right. Gasbuddy is my best friend. Post some pics of the beast when you can.
Mine came with Pirelli tires on the Hellcat rims (Dynamics package) and those were pretty much shot at 22k miles just from normal highway daily commuting.

Best,

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
2020 Charger Scat Pack
61 Posts
Mine came with Pirelli tires on the Hellcat rims (Dynamics package) and those were pretty much shot at 22k miles just from normal highway daily commuting.

Best,
I wore my Eagles out (that were on the 2017 R/T Daytona) at less than 30k. Same with the daily highway commute. I rarely roasted the tires. They performed as water skis should on water. I put a set of BFGoodrich Pro Comp 2's on it. 100% improvement in all aspects. I will go with the same on my Scat when the time comes. I am going to go with the 275 wide tires though. A little extra rim protection and meat on the ground.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Reactions: Karl_1052

·
Registered
26 Posts

how much did you pay... i was looking at Scat pack in Northern VA and they are just as expensive as a new one

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Used it in my 2008 ZX6R for 8 years too.
Also used in the 5.0 coyote engine in my Mustang GT, the V8 in my Audi A8L, the twin turbo V6 in my Audi A6, the highly modified 1.8T in my Audi A4, and also in my mother's Saturn 1.9L (former) oil burner. Great stuff. I love the extra detergency.

Edit: Come to think of it....I think it was also my go-to fill for the 2006 Charger R/T too.

Best,

Reactions: Karl_1052

·
Registered
5,423 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all of the great info and feedback. I certainly appreciate and respect this car greatly, especially at 41, so you won't find me doing jackass like things with this car. I didn't snapshot the Carmax online ad, so I forgot what options it came with, but I know it has the Beats option for sure, Nav, leather heated and cooled seats, Brembos, all the driver assist tech and 20" rims with Eagle tires. Has a front strut tower brace too. Not sure if that is factory or added on afterwards. List price was $40k at Carmax. I'm sure I could have found a better deal elsewhere, but I had my car to trade in, which they gave me the best price over everyone else and this is exactly what I was looking for color, options, miles, etc, and it was only 20 mins away from me too, so it was too convenient to pass up. Not to mention the buying process was super easy and quick, as was the trade in process.

My next order of business will be looking into an oil catch can for sure. I'll also do an oil and filter change now and do a meticulous inspection of the rest of the car. Oil seems to be a hot topic, as it usually is with cars. Most say to use the Penzoil Ultra, some say Mobil 1, which is what I've used in my previous cars and then you have some off shoots here and there for other brands. I'll need to research it more on here before I make my decision, but leaning Penzoil Ultra right now.

Oddly enough, I test drove a 2016 Scat Pack with the mid mufflers deleted and holy balls was it loud! Certainly not a fan of that myself. Love the sound of it right now! Definitely will be only using 91. Good thing Costco is right down the road. What a premium gas user savior they are!

Here are some pics for everyone...

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Charger Scat Pack
61 Posts
PURDY! I had the same CAI on my Daytona with the same damn annoying wrinkle in it. LOL I love the bees on the strut tower brace caps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts