Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I havent had a chance to troubleshoot my issue yet, but here is my problem. I have the following system: Alpine 9883 receiver. I have four 6x9s on a RF P.400 amp and I also have 2 10" JLs powered by a Alpine M-350 in the trunk. Ive NEVER had any issues out of my system.

I was headed to work this morning and turned my music on to about 20 and my 6x9s started cutting in and out. Only when the volume is kind of high. When its real low I have no issues. My deck goes to 35 I normally keep it on 18-24 and Ive never had any issues.

When my 6x9s cut out my subs are still Boomin' but I have no audio just bass. Any idea of what may be causing this?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hmmmm. You have a seperate amp for your subs and speaks? maybe thats a dumb question. COuld yoru speakers be blown? or maybe the amp is goign into like saftey mode so you dont blow it?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm. You have a seperate amp for your subs and speaks? maybe thats a dumb question. COuld yoru speakers be blown? or maybe the amp is goign into like saftey mode so you dont blow it?
Yea I got the Rockford Fostgate amp from a member here on the forums. And Ive had my Alpine amp for my subs for years. Im going to check once I get off today. I dont think my speakers are blown. I havent smelled anything.:confused:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Im just throwing out ideas, i am in no way an expert

·
Registered
218 Posts
i would check all the connections first. one may have came loose. Also check if your speaker amp is going into protection mode. Your input sensitivity might be too high and needs to me lower down so your amp will stop clipping (going on and off). hope that helps:rocker:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would check all the connections first. one may have came loose. Also check if your speaker amp is going into protection mode. Your input sensitivity might be too high and needs to me lower down so your amp will stop clipping (going on and off). hope that helps:rocker:
Thanks. Im gonna look crazy in the parking lot ripping my backseat out again. Since I dont have the 60/40 split haha.IM def gonna check those connections.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a Eclipse 6620 and mine does the kinda of the same thing...but my head unit turns off and subs...but it only happens if my amps are working to hard...i think its a safety thing

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had something like this happen to me with a Pioneer deck. Turned out I had a short in one of door speakers, that would come and go. It would only happen if the stereo was turned up real loud.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I pulled down my back seat to check on the amp... And whaddayaknow every time my speakers cut out my protection light on the amp lights up then goes off and plays the music again. Now this only happens when the volume is turned up to around 20+. Im not for sure what the problem is now. Im confused.:confused:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm sure you have checked your ground, but Make sure you have a solid ground wire and that you don't have any paint were your grounding nor ground on that fake bondo stuff they put in the trunk sometimes.

Also make sure you do not have an loose or exposed power and speaker wire that could possible touch when you turn up the volume.

If this doesn't work check the speaker wires coming out the HU.

Let me know how it works out and good luck.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
OK your problem is one of these
#1 loose or bad ground at the amp or point of ground
#2 one of the speakers are going bad- u have to check them with a ohm meter
#3 a speaker wire some were is pinched or slightly touching metal or one of the speakers are to close to metal and the terminals are touching the door or rear deck slightly
#4 the amp may have a bad over heat protection temp sensor [which is commen to happen when amps get older] and this kicks it into protection mode to soon.
A TRAINED repair tech will have to check that for you.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure you have checked your ground, but Make sure you have a solid ground wire and that you don't have any paint were your grounding nor ground on that fake bondo stuff they put in the trunk sometimes.

Also make sure you do not have an loose or exposed power and speaker wire that could possible touch when you turn up the volume.

If this doesn't work check the speaker wires coming out the HU.

Let me know how it works out and good luck.
Im taking it back in IcedOutt. I dont have time to troubleshoot like that.

OK you problem is one of these
#1 loose or bad ground at the amp or point of ground
#2 one of the speakers are going bad- u have to check them with a ohm meter
#3 a speaker wire some were is pinched or slightly touching metal or one of the speakers are to close to metal and the terminals are touching the door or rear deck slightly
#4 the amp may have a bad over heat protection temp sensor [which is commen to happen when amps get older] and this kicks it into protection mode to soon.
A TRAINED repair tech will have to check that for you.
Looks like my ride will be back to the guy that did the install at best buy... :bigthumb: Thanks guys. I dont have time right now to troubleshoot all of the diff variables. I checked all the wires and stuff yestrday and i was like screw this. lol

Here are the speakers that I have...

He told me when it was hooked up that the amp I had was more than enough to power these speakers. So I may have busted one...

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
He told me when it was hooked up that the amp I had was more than enough to power these speakers. So I may have busted one...
I could be wrong but i don't think it works like that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts