Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thread updated with pics in post #26! Thanks for looking! :rocker:

Do you think I will be happy with my purchase?

The old:

GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Performance Category: Max. Performance Summer (Actually an SUV tire--had SUV 4X4 stamped on the sidewall)

Specs:
255/55ZR18
Load Index 109 = 2271lbs (1030kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph) 109Y XL 2006 Production
Treadwear: 280
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Max inflation pressure: 50 psi
Tread Depth: 10/32"
Tire Weight: 31 lbs.
Rim Width Range: 7-9"
Section Width: 10.4"
Tread Width: 8.2"

My review... Excellent traction in the rain, standing water included. High resistance to hydroplaning. Dry grip is also excellent, able to corner faster and accelerate out of turn earlier.

I ran with these for approximately 22,000 miles. I was not easy on them...and they weren't meant to be babied either! Overall rating: 9.915 :)biggrinjester:)

The New:

Yokohama ADVAN ST

Performance Category: Street/Sport Truck Summer

Specs:
255/55R18
Load Index 109 = 2271lbs (1030kg) per tire
Speed Rating “W” = 168mph (270kph) 109W RF
Treadwear: 320
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Max inflation pressure: 50 psi
Tread Depth: 10/32"
Tire Weight: 35 lbs.
Rin Width Range: 7-9"
Section width: 10.6"
Tread width: 8.7"

I decided to go with these because I didn't feel like spending $1600 on another set of GS-D3s (they're $400 per, in Canada), and because they got some pretty good reviews on several online tire sites...much like the GS-D3 when I decided on those. Both tires also got some negative reviews, but I feel that those point out some shortcomings in either tire...a lot of people complained about treadwear. Damn, those people should buy All-season "highway" tires! My wants: Excellent dry and wet weather performance, handling, decent treadwear (20,000-25,000 miles). I'm not concerned about noise nor am I concerned about "ride comfort"! Yeah, my GYs were kinda harsh over road irregularities but that's the price I was willing to pay to have what I really wanted. :bigthumb:

So, what do you think...will I be happy when I get those puppies mounted tomorrow?

Any and all comments are more than welcome!:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
did you burn the others to the rim:rocker::rocker::rocker: I want video:cowsmile:

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's a slightly heavier tire, so it might absorb a tiny bit more road harshness....and otherwise it looks identical to the GS-D3.

I had the GS on my 325xi and they were fantastic tires, however they did wear rather quickly....but that is a small price to pay....as Grinner says, "cars are for having fun in"!

How much are the Yokos?

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you burn the others to the rim:rocker::rocker::rocker: I want video:cowsmile:
Soory man...no vids...not going to risk damaging my car à la Junior!!! Junior's vid was awesome, BTW!!! :rocker:

Pat, my GS-D3s have barely any tread remaining...it's about damn time I change them!!!

It's a slightly heavier tire, so it might absorb a tiny bit more road harshness....and otherwise it looks identical to the GS-D3.

I had the GS on my 325xi and they were fantastic tires, however they did wear rather quickly....but that is a small price to pay....as Grinner says, "cars are for having fun in"!

How much are the Yokos?
4 lbs heavier...but still reinforced. I'm sure it'll still be a bit harsh (for my passengers...I like it that way!!!).

I'm guessing that wet weather performance will not be as stellar as the GS-D3 but that it will still be greater than many other tires on the market.

They were $265 each, that includes balancing, and mounting fees as well as tire disposal fees. No taxes there bud...I'm Native remember?!? ;)

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Soory man...no vids...not going to risk damaging my car à la Junior!!! Junior's vid was awesome, BTW!!! :rocker:

Pat, my GS-D3s have barely any tread remaining...it's about damn time I change them!!!

4 lbs heavier...but still reinforced. I'm sure it'll still be a bit harsh (for my passengers...I like it that way!!!).

I'm guessing that wet weather performance will not be as stellar as the GS-D3 but that it will still be greater than many other tires on the market.

They were $265 each, that includes balancing, and mounting fees as well as tire disposal fees. No taxes there bud...I'm Native remember?!? ;)
no problem... congrats on the new tread:cowsmile:

·
Registered
375 Posts

That's a good deal...thanks!

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no problem... congrats on the new tread:cowsmile:
Thanks, and sorry to disappoint!!! :cowsmile:

That's a good deal...thanks!
Yeah, but considering I could have bought 20" tires for my MSRTs for about that price... It actually hurt to buy tires for my 18" rims when my 20s are sitting in the basement waiting to be sold!!!

Yeah, it was not a bad price...I'm happy about it!

Now, I have to do something to my 18s...to change them up from stock. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Congrats Mr. nanner...:smile: How do they feel?

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats Mr. nanner...:smile: How do they feel?
Thanks man...oh, and (I'm imagining) that they feel great! I'm having them installed tomorrow. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Curt!!! why didnt u just get the tires for the 20s!!!! oh no dude, this a big fail and dang 1000 for tires!!! yikes, i got my friend alex, some semi new RSAs for 150 on all four, man i wish u lived in cali so i could help u

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Curt!!! why didnt u just get the tires for the 20s!!!! oh no dude, this a big fail and dang 1000 for tires!!! yikes, i got my friend alex, some semi new RSAs for 150 on all four, man i wish u lived in cali so i could help u
Julio, I'm trying to recoup some of the tire money with the sale of my 20s...and selling off my Daytonas would not be the answer. Have you seen how cheap people are selling Daytonas with tires lately??? Almost giving them away. I know I failed....but I'm still waiting to hear from the gov't about the job. Maybe when I get a job (6 months today without), things won't look so bleak financially and I will just keep my MSRTs. I will not sell my wheels for dirt cheap either...just to get rid of them :no:!

Maybe I'll have them on next year!!!

Yeah, $1000 is about the going rate for some high performance summer tires around here. In 2007, I paid $1600 for my GS-D3s that I am now replacing. Crazy, but i was very satisfied with them! :rockon:

I actually could have had Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs installed on my MSRTs for $982. :notallthere:

I, too, wished I lived in Cali...for the weather, the bikinied women, and good times...oh, and to hang with you!!! :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nobody else wants to hazard a guess if I'll be happy with these or not? Alrighty then...

Prior experience with these is not required to give me your OPINION, given what I wrote above. C'mon, don't be shy...leave your thoughts!!! :bigthumb:

:beerchug:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've heard a lot good things about them, the downside though is that they're rather expensive. I was looking at them a while back, but that was before I found out about the vreds.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard a lot good things about them, the downside though is that they're rather expensive. I was looking at them a while back, but that was before I found out about the vreds.
I read some good things about them and some bad...much like the reviews about the GS-D3s. You either loved them or hated them.

First impression? Me likey...a lot!!! I ran them pretty hard today...and experienced a faint protest from the tires in a 30kph curve doing 70. :no: Go figure... :biggrinjester:

They have about the same transmission of road irregularities to the driver as the GS-D3s...I don't mind though. I'm one of those drivers that likes to feel the road, and know what's going on. :bigthumb:

From a standing start, there was a little wheelspin but not a whole lot...car launched nicely. If I had to compare to the GS-D3, I would say dry handling characteristics are about the same, perhaps a hair lower...but still very impressive.

The tires' resistance to want to follow a groove is quite high...I had no problem with running in or out of the groove...the tire was never undecided! Steer it and it will follow your lead...it will not take you where you don't want to go. My GS-D3couldn't really make up their mind where they wanted to be!!! :biggrinjester:

They are a bit pricey but the GS-D3 were $600 more than these (up here in Canada). While I was highly satisfied with the Goodyears, I wanted to try something different this time. I really think that I am going to like this tire over the long haul.

:clap:Yokohama ADVAN ST:clap:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Julio, I'm trying to recoup some of the tire money with the sale of my 20s...and selling off my Daytonas would not be the answer. Have you seen how cheap people are selling Daytonas with tires lately??? Almost giving them away. I know I failed....but I'm still waiting to hear from the gov't about the job. Maybe when I get a job (6 months today without), things won't look so bleak financially and I will just keep my MSRTs. I will not sell my wheels for dirt cheap either...just to get rid of them :no:!

Maybe I'll have them on next year!!!

Yeah, $1000 is about the going rate for some high performance summer tires around here. In 2007, I paid $1600 for my GS-D3s that I am now replacing. Crazy, but i was very satisfied with them! :rockon:

I actually could have had Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs installed on my MSRTs for $982. :notallthere:

I, too, wished I lived in Cali...for the weather, the bikinied women, and good times...oh, and to hang with you!!! :biggrinjester:
u'd be surprised Curt, ask Phil lol

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 35 Posts