Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been getting alot of requests for the ProTorque converters so it was time for me to check into them and pick up the line. ProTorque has been building quality converters since 1983 and has many happy customers driving a wide variety of vehicles.

A higher stall converter is one of the best bolt-on performance mods that you can do to a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission so I've been thinking about putting one in my own 300C SRT8 for awhile. Didn't do it because I kept saying "I'm not going to do much to this car". You know how that goes! Went from stock to a K+N Induction and Kooks long tubes, then added INDY Cylinder heads and intake manifold with a B&G tune, then a Patriot cam a few weeks ago and now... a ProTorque 2800 converter. Yup, couldn't hold out! It went in yesterday afternoon and the car is even more of an animal now! I can tell that the converter is different during normal driving. It doesn't feel to loose but I notice that the RPMs are just a little higher as I pull away from a stop. Not bad at all! Actually, I stopped noticing that after a few hours of driving. The thing that is noticeable all time is the way the car feels when getting into the throttle. Much, much more responsive! It's good to make sure the car is pointing straight if the traction control is off and the throttle goes to the floor. If not, the back hangs out while the tires are screaming. Hammer the throttle in a straight line and hold on! It really comes to life! The car feels at least 500lbs lighter. This is one of those "small mods" that make a big difference!

We list this for $597.99 and there $250. core authorzation. We don't charge you for that, just take an authorization for the amount and then cancel when you return your stock converter. For local customers that would like to have a ProTorque converter installed here, a turn key package.

That includes -

2800 stall converter
Shipping to us
Labor for the install
Transmission fluid
Shipping your stock converter to ProTorque
MA sales tax

Package total is $808.64.

A very good bang for the buck mod!

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC
ORDER LINE - 1-877-4-TBYRNE (1-877-482-9763)
E-MAIL - [email protected]

CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR OUR EVERYDAY LOW PRICE POLICY!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Can you explain the whole process? I'm kinda dumb when it comes to pulling parts off the car and mailing them off.
We pull our converter and then mail it to you for what? Do you guys take out the factory guts and put protorque back in? Please explain.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Can you explain the whole process? I'm kinda dumb when it comes to pulling parts off the car and mailing them off.
We pull our converter and then mail it to you for what? Do you guys take out the factory guts and put protorque back in? Please explain.
If you're having it installed locally, Tbyrne will ship the ProTorque converter to you. You take it to a shop and have them swap it out. You mail the stock unit back to Tbyrne and he credits your deposit. It is done this way so you don't have down time with the car.

The turnkey he mentioned is all done at his shop, if you live near him. That price includes installation by him and shipping to ProTorque.

I used to swap out converters regularly with my Camaro when I was racing it, and I would caution do it yourselfers to only tackle this if you know transmissions well.

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting that info! The converter core would actually be shipped to ProTorque to save extra shipping. The install isn't to bad for a person that has some mechanical ability and can safely et the car high enough into the air to do the swap. The tranny has to be lowered down (it's not light so be careful), once down, the stock converter is taken out (just slides right off the shaft), put at least 1 quart of fluid into the new converter, slide it onto the transmission shaft and then reinstall the converter. It's best to have a shop do this if you don't feel confident with the job.

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ProTorque has a strict pricing policy. I asked about a special but they said "not right now".

·
Banned
206 Posts
How does 402 Motoring do it? Last month they had a special on it... $570 and then another $50 off with the coupon code "CONVERTER."

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They had permission to do that then. I ran a promotion by ProTorque and they said to wait until next month. We do have a price match policy if someone has it for less :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
any word on the group buy?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey bud

Hey Tbyrne,

Is this a garage doable mod? Do you have to bring the trans all the way down or can you shove it rearward far enough to make the swap?

I would be interested in a group buy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
They had permission to do that then. I ran a promotion by ProTorque and they said to wait until next month. We do have a price match policy if someone has it for less :)
So are you matching it at 520?

How would an intake, Corsa and the convertor liven up the car? I did a lot of work on the vette but I don't want to do as much to the Charger.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The tranny cant go back far enough to slip in the converter. You will have to drop it down a little maybe on the ground then put it back up. You can do on the ground but get the front up high on those jack stands

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a ProTorque converter. By far the best mod for the money. Just remember to install a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a ProTorque converter. By far the best mod for the money. Just remember to install a tranny cooler.
Which tranny cooler are you using? The one that comes on the police edition or something else. How hard was the install?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Which tranny cooler are you using? The one that comes on the police edition or something else. How hard was the install?
A B & M supercooler rated at 14400 BTU. I had Carolina Auto Masters install it at the same time that my torque converter was installed on my '05 GTO.

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As mentioned, you need to be able to lower the transmission enough to slide the out and install the new one. Just be careful and make sure the vehicle is safely high enough in the air if your doing this at home.

We'll have a promotion for these converters next month :)

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC
ORDER LINE - 1-877-4-TBYRNE (1-877-482-9763)
E-MAIL - [email protected]

CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR OUR EVERYDAY LOW PRICE POLICY!

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Waiting to hear from the owner of ProTorque before I can answer that one.

And intake and exhaust would help the car breath better and provide more power. The Coverter would make the car much more responsive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
like some people said above...

would you need a tranny cooler? could you comment on this...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts