Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New here, and I've appreciated the ability to search these forums to get information. I've read up plenty on the delay on the Protection group.

I am soooo close to pulling the trigger on a Charger (I think I've even gotten past the fact that I can not get a manual tranny), but my wife is really pushing for the side airbags to protect our current and future children. I requirement is that it be in Go Mango!.

So those of you with an ear close to the grapevine, can you tell me - is there any news at all on the Protection Group being installed on these cars? If so, will it be in time to allow me to still be able to order a Daytona Go Mango with the Protection Package.

Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey Tommy, can't help you on the protection package, but welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and info here :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Glad to be here!

·
Registered
630 Posts
R/TommyB said:
...I am soooo close to pulling the trigger on a Charger (I think I've even gotten past the fact that I can not get a manual tranny), but my wife is really pushing for the side airbags to protect our current and future children. I requirement is that it be in Go Mango!.

So those of you with an ear close to the grapevine, can you tell me - is there any news at all on the Protection Group being installed on these cars? If so, will it be in time to allow me to still be able to order a Daytona Go Mango with the Protection Package.
R/TommyB, I placed my first order back in June (Daytona, GoMango, Protection Pkg) and it was cancelled later that month. Placed 2nd order (same thing) 1st of July. Finally got my car sans PPkg on 09/16.

I can understand your wife's desire to protect the kiddies, but the Charger even without the curtain airbags has a 5-star crash test rating and seems to be built pretty tough. I think that those of us who went through the months of waiting and then not getting it would probably agree with me when I say I doubt you'll see any Chargers with the PPkg in the 06 model year. If they finally do get them into production this model year, it probably won't be until late in the production cycle and by that time the GoMango Daytonas will be sold out.

If I recall correctly, someone got their Daytona and it was numbered in the 2400's. That means there are less than 1600 to be built and by now that number is going to be even less because they are going fast. If you want the Go Mango Daytona, you are going to have to act soon and I would bet that none on any lot today has the PPkg. Which means you will have to custom order one to put the PPkg on it and run into the same issues we had with the "maybe next month... maybe NEXT month" and end up not getting it.

Save yourself some agravation, if you want the car go get it. If you are a decent driver and maintain good situational awareness, and stay out of situations that lead to accidents, that'll compensate for any missing air bags.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CO-Charger,

Thanks for input. Fortunately, down here in the Phoenix AZ area, we've got ~13 dodge dealerships, so we've got plenty of Daytona's for me to choose from. But yes, all the ones I've seen are also in the mid 2000's.

I agree with you - I seriously doubt the protection package will be out in time for the Go Mango. My wife is insisting I order the car in Go Mango with the PP. My concern is, of course, what if they end the production run of Go Mango before installing the PP. My wife's response is that I've signed a contract, they have to abide by it, so I'd just eventually end up with a Go Mango without the PP. My response - when's the last time anybody in the car businees looked out for me? I'll just end up getting a phone call some day telling "Yeah, they just finished the Go Mango production run and sorry buddy - your's isn't in it."

Going out for another test drive and negotiations tomorrow...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Welcome!! I was also concerned because I have kids, as well. As stated before I read that it had a 5 star side impact rating before I bought it, so I was happy with that. Remember, these cars way 4150 LBS so its not like being in a small compact. Good luck!!

Rod

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go ManGo! said:
Welcome!! I was also concerned because I have kids, as well. As stated before I read that it had a 5 star side impact rating before I bought it, so I was happy with that. Remember, these cars way 4150 LBS so its not like being in a small compact. Good luck!!

Rod
Yeah, my wife has already told me that she would be much happier with my kids in Charger without side impact bags than in a TT with side impact bags.
Me? I don't plan on getting in any accidents, period, so the side bags don't mater much to me (other than the ridiculous fact that you have to pay extra for them).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts