Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been on the fence about buying an R/T for a few weeks. I know this isn't the car to buy if mpg's are too much of a concern. The ride, power and comfort make up for it; but, with the amount of miles I drive, I'd like to know what to expect. Your experience may be able to help with for the kind of driving I'll be doing. Most of my miles are from driving weekly from Ft. Worth to Midland/Odessa for my business; ~650 round-trip and ~60 mi "city" driving while there. I drive 75-80 mph with cruise, mostly flat open highway. According to some posts I might expect 22-25mpg (seen as high as 29 posted) for the hwy portion. Is this about right? I'm hoping to get 25-28......wishful thinking?

·
Registered
263 Posts
That sounds about right. It's the MDS that is the winner on the R/T's in your case. Kicks that sucker down to using only 4 cylinders part of the time.

DO IT! ;)

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
I usually get between 23-25 driving 425 miles to/from Salt Lake City from Vegas. If you creep over 73 I think the MDS turns off. Not sure. My drive is full of hills mountain passes though.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I usually only get 19-21 on highway trips, but I'm a heavy foot. You can do better if you do 75-80, and keep your transitions easy.

MDS can engage anytime the throttle is at 20% or less, and you're steady cruising (not quite that simple, but...). There's no speed-related limit. I've gotten in to engage at 110mph, and was able to sustain it at 103. For a stock R/T on a flat road, though, the practical limit is probably somewhere around 85-90...

I'd guess if you drive easy, you might be able to average 25, but I'd be really surprised at 28... you'll do it in style and comfort, though!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
928 Posts
well I reset my gauge before a 2.5 hr trip, 26.6mpg while crusing at 85mph and running up to 110 a few times. after the more in town driving and windey roads, then another 2.5 hours back home, i ended up at just shy of 25mpg.

If you use your cruise controll you will get GREAT milage. and you will never have to wonder, can I pass that guy whos pissing me off?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I reset my gauge before a 2.5 hr trip, 26.6mpg while crusing at 85mph and running up to 110 a few times. after the more in town driving and windey roads, then another 2.5 hours back home, i ended up at just shy of 25mpg.
That's as good as my girlfriends V6 Camry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and before you even consider it, my 3.5L V6 gets about 22MPG... so go with the hemi.
I wouldn't consider a Charger unless it I got the Hemi. The R/T doesn't seem much thirstier than a V6 Altima, Camry, etc. That's a decent argument for getting one. I just posted to verify because some consumer reviews show a real world 14 mpg overall (possibly due to flogging it for tests) and others 20 mpg overall (Road and Tracks Magnum). 20 mpg overall is 1-2 mpg within said Japanese cars.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just finished a 1000 mile trip @ 80 MPH and got 18-21 mpg depending on the wind. I have never gotten better than this. This is all calulated manually not with the EVIC.

I do not trust the EVIC and I think those making claims into the mid 20's are probably using the EVIC and it is not accurate in the long run.

I even tried driving 65 for 500 miles once and only got 21.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I wouldn't consider a Charger unless it I got the Hemi. The R/T doesn't seem much thirstier than a V6 Altima, Camry, etc. That's a decent argument for getting one. I just posted to verify because some consumer reviews show a real world 14 mpg overall (possibly due to flogging it for tests) and others 20 mpg overall (Road and Tracks Magnum). 20 mpg overall is 1-2 mpg within said Japanese cars.
I flog mine all the time and get 17-18 mpg when I drive it on the interstate and such I have been known to get 23-25 mpg. The highway is where MDS works the BEST....

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just finished a 1000 mile trip @ 80 MPH and got 18-21 mpg depending on the wind. I have never gotten better than this. This is all calulated manually not with the EVIC.

I do not trust the EVIC and I think those making claims into the mid 20's are probably using the EVIC and it is not accurate in the long run.

I even tried driving 65 for 500 miles once and only got 21.
I believe the EVIC and the estimated distance to empty is pretty accurate. It costs anywhere between 40-50 dollars to fill the 19 gallon gas tank up with 89 octane. My prelude with its H22 has to run premium fuel so then again it is within 10 bucks of the Charger (35-45 bucks to fill up the Prelude and it gets 28 mpg). I get around a 300-330 mile range with the Charger at 17-23 mpg and the same 300-330 mile range with the Prelude. So which costs me more to run?

It is exactly almost the same and my Prelude does not have 340 horsepower and is not a Hemi. It produces 200 horsepower at 7400 rpm and is front wheel drive but the gas costs for me are almost identical. If you have a choice between a Charger or almost any import then the Dodge product wins hands down......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had same Prelude engine (01 Prelude) and got 20-28, so an avg of about 24. The Prelude could drop to 17 city at times. If an R/T gets about 16 city and 23 hwy, an avg. of 19mpg.
Assuming 15k mi/yr
Prelude- 15000/24= 625 gals/yr x 3.10 for premium= $1937.50
R/T- 15000/19= 789 gals/yr x 3.00 for mid= $2367
I think the R/T provided $430/yr in smiles, comfort, and safety.

I just posted to be sure my searching pulled up accurate numbers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am on week 2 of owning a Charger R/T and I am getting in the low 20s using Cruise Control.

I think mid 20s will be doable for long drives once the engine is broken in. The trick is not just getting to cruising speed its HOW you get there. Romping on the gas and flying to 70 to hit the cruise is not the best way to do it. Gradually getting up there and setting it will help a lot. Just hard to do when you have all that power.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't think mid- 20's on the highway for an R/T should be considered unreasonable or unattainable. I average 20 to 22 (calculated and EVIC - very little difference between the two in my experience) on the highway in my SRT with no MDS, and I am imagining that the R/T would do better than that, no?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the other options I was considering were the Camry V6, Altima V6, and maybe a 328i. I was going to let overall driving fun, mpg, and depreciation (practical guy huh?!) break the tie. The new 3.5 Camry will give an R/T a run for its money, but is, well...a Camry. I'm pretty set on the R/T now. The mpg numbers I gotten so far are acceptable and very close to the other cars on my list. The R/T has the others beat hands down for fun, even the 328i.

Any other mpg input would be appreciated for myself and others that may be in the same boat as me in the future.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I drove my R/T from Ohio to Colorado, all around Colorado for a week, and then back to Ohio...more than 2000 miles easily. I checked the average MPG when I got home and it was 25.0! The car was completely stock during this trip.

In town, though, I typically get around 17.5, even though the majority of my daily commute is highway driving (the loop around the city). This is with an aftermarket exhaust and cold air intake, two things that supposedly help with gas mileage (but clearly don't, in my case).

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
My mid 20's claim for long haul trips is both evic, and the fact that I can drive the 425 miles on a single tank of gas. Granted, I am darn near empty when I pull in my driveway, but I make it. Now on a 19 gallon tank thats only 22 mpg and change. I get the low fuel light on within a mile or so of home, so I have at least a gallon or 2 left, so its closer to 17.5 gallons for 425 miles. I'll take it. If you cant get better than 22mpg freeway, you have a problem.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts