Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've got a 2008 Charger SE V6 with P215 16R 17's, the stock Goodyear Integrity tires. The door jamb label states the recommended inflation to be 30 psi, however when I check the tire pressures the first time, they were all 32-34 psi, and upon lowering the pressure to 30, all the tires now look pretty soft. Any ideas/recommendations on what I should do? I'm hitting the Interstate later today for 200 miles, don't want any safety issues. Have you found 30 to be appropriate, or too low?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I run all my tires at 40.

My door label says 30 as well. That's freakin' absurd!!! Talk about poor gas mileage, squishy handling and excessive tire wear!!

Check the max tire pressure on the sidewall of your tire. As long as you don't exceed that pressure, there are NO safety issues. Your max tire pressure is probably 50+

And welcome to the forum!!

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
you may already know this but i'm going to mention it anyway... that's 30 psi "cold"... meaning the car hasn't driven in at least 3 hours or so... once you drive the psi will go up at least by 3psi ... so that's where you could be getting your higher psi readings from.

i would use what the door label recommends...

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
The inflation recommendation on the door jamb is a compromise between comfort, handling, mileage, and tire wear. So there's not really any "correct" answer as it depends on what the driver deems more important to their needs.

Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort to get slightly reduced tire wear, slightly better fuel economy and slightly less mushy handling. So I've got mine dialed in at 36psi. I would imagine that if you go much higher than this you'll have tires that will tend to wear out more in the middle of the tread. And as someone else already mentioned, you shouldn't exceed the maximum cold pressure rating stamped on the tire itself.

Best,

·
Registered
231 Posts
I always run per the mfr. recommendation on the door jamb, 32 PSI in my case.

A lot of the shops like to crank my tires up to 34-35, so sometimes I have to bleed them back down.

Drew

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
As Rtiz said, there is no single 100% "correct" tire pressure for everyone. Personally, I run my pressures to where I get even tread wear for normal driving. If I know I'm going to do some "spirited" driving through some good corners I will increase the pressure to reduce the sidewalls flex. My truck has 35psi recommended pressure according to the door jam, but also according to the door jam my "stock" tires are 225/55/17s when in fact the stock size is 255/55/17. Dodge screwed up the door jam stickers on the Dakota R/Ts all the time. Different brands/models of tires also need different pressures. For the most part on my truck I run 32psi in the front and 27-30psi in the rear. Less weight on the rear tires requires less pressure to get the same even tread wear. But now since I switched rims, even though the tires are the same, it appears I'm going to have to run about 35psi in the fronts and 30-32 in the rears to get the same tread wear I had with my stock rims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts