Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share some info on Project Squad Car...

Our project car is an '08 Police Package Charger (PPC). The car is not owned by a police department. It is owned by mere mortals, nay, even civilians. We want the car to remain fairly stealthy and at first glance people should think, "Hey that could be an undercover cop car". At the same time we want discerning enthusiasts who take a second look at the car to notice that this is NOT Barny Fife's patrol car...

So here was the plan...

First, To buy a cop car.

This turned out to be more difficult than you would think. You can not just walk into any Dodge dealer and get them to hand over the keys to a Police Package car. We tried many dealers and all of them had some BS answer as to why they couldn't. These answers varied from, "Sorry its against policy", which is totally believable to garbage about EPA this and too high performance for average customer, law suit that, blah blah blah...

Thank goodness for the internet. Through ebay and other online sources we were able to find a few cars for sale. Some had questionable history and others seemed to be okay. We wanted a black car with a Hemi. We found one in the mid-west that was brand new with delivery miles. After plenty of emails back and forth and some buffoonery on the part of the dealer and some teeth gnashing on our part, we became the proud owners of a real live cop car. Wa-Hoo!

Step Two, What we got and why.

One of the draws to the PPC for us is it's a simple stripped down car with a big old V8. Back in the days of the muscle car, you could order the cheapest car package available with the biggest engine and performance goodies. If you have ever heard Jay Leno talk about getting to order the Ford when he was a teen you know what I am talking about. (If memory serves it was a Galaxy 500 with a 427, 4 speed and strait pipes) That is no longer possible. But the PPC has heavy duty brakes, suspension, extra cooling capacity and no fluff... at least as little fluff as is allowed in todays highly regulated world. It is also a big "American" car with a honking V8 and a decent chassis.

Police cars and other service vehicles seem to have a strong following and a certain caché. Cars like the Ford Police Interceptor, Mustang 5.0 (old school, used by the highway patrol in several states), Chevy Caprice and the new darling of the po-po, the Hemi Charger are all similar in this regard. All of those cars except the Interceptor are no longer available new. I don't care how well these cars are serviced or maintained, they live a rough life. Besides that, we know the Hemi Charger will put the smack-down on any of the previously mentioned vehicles.

The PPC is very spartan. It has no center console, vinyl rear seats, ours has no dome light, the rear windows do not roll down from the back seat and the rear doors do not open from the inside. It also has a shifter on the steering column, a stealth mode for the dash lights, heavy duty brakes, suspension and cooling and different mapping of the engine computer.

Pics:

Rear 3/4:

Certified Speedo:

Front Seats and console (or lack thereof):

Rear Seats:

Part 3, Modifications.

So we got the stripped down V8 sedan, now what?

We started with the suspension. The PPC suspension is very stout. It is also similar to a Camel Trophy Defender in ride height. Good grief, the stock police suspension is tall! I heard that they changed to this ride height in '06 or so because the police guys like to drive through ditches and over curbs in pursuit of the bad guys. While the suspension still felt buttoned down and body roll was not nearly as bad as you would expect, it still looked awful.

Here is the before pic...

You can see the massive distance between the tires and the top of the wheel wells. Not good.

Solution... Pedders Touring kit. This kit was announced about the time we found out that we were getting the car. This kit consists of new springs, new shocks and struts and some bushings for the steering rack. Being new to the LX scene we were a little leery of this company. We had heard of all the big name suspension guys.. Eibach, Hotchkiss etc... but nothing of Pedders. They did seem to have a big following on this site (and others like it) so we ordered the kit. It arrived a few days later from the warehouse and was packaged very nicely. All the parts we needed were there. The install took us about 7 hours in a home garage with a floor jack, jack stands, a compressor, impact wrench and some basic tools. Could have done it without the compressor and air tools, it was just easier that way. The instructions left a little to be desired but for an average guy with decent mechanical ability it is more than doable.

The results? Fantastic. Many thanks to the guys at Pedders! They have a great product. It produced the desired results in ride height, it handles well AND it rides well. Everything we wanted in a suspension package was delivered. See pics below.

What about power?

The stock 5.7 is a big V8 that performs well but it is pulling around a big 4 door car. The stock engine has decent power but it is not awe inspiring. We looked at several options and settled on a Vortech blower. You can read about our results with that HERE

The Cliff notes version is that the Vortech rocks. It has lots of midrange punch while keeping the stock drivability of the car. Are there faster options than the stock Vortech package? Yep. But, from a roll at 30mph to full throttle the Charger and the Supercharger just work together. The car really accelerates HARD. With more tuning and/or a pulley swap this car would feel like it has a JATO rocket strapped on top. That is not what we are looking for though. We just wanted a bigger fatter power band and thats what we got. We really want to line this car up against a stock SRT-8 and see what happens. Seat of the pants says it is much faster than a 6.1.

Supercharged pics:

So the car is tied down and has some serious propulsion, what else?

A few things.

We decided to get the windows tinted. It just makes the car look so much better. We also are going to add a police style console in the center. This is a very cool metal unit with crinkle coat finish and room for a CB and switches. Of course the CB will need a big stinking antennae or two on the back deck lid. This only adds to the cop car mystique. The other things we would like to do are add a police style push bar. We actually have this but the Vortech charge coolers heat exchanger mounts right where the push bar wants to mount. (See picture above) This is going to take some creative brackets to make affixing the bar to the car happen. We are also debating on an SRT-8 front bumper/fascia and/or hood. We are also looking at a way to widen the stock wheels and get some bigger meats on the ground.

We know this car is not for everyone but the ones that do "get it" really do like it. Stay tuned for more info and updates...

And this is how she looks today...

Comments, Criticisms, Concerns, Questions and Kudos are welcome.

PS.. I am using the term "we" because I am the project manager on this car. The owner has the same automotive sickness that I have and has been kind enough to let me "help" put this thing together. Hopefully "we" does not read as inferred royalty.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
I would say most definitely not on the push bar. Not only that but the srt fascia wont work with that bar. It kinda sucks that there is no center console shifter but other then that nice car. Kinda different but nice. I'd flat black that *****. Oh yea and you need fog lights and darker tint on the front.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Dude this should be filmed as some kind of reality TV show or television similar to Myth Busters.

Awesome so far, and I'll be tuning in next week......

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Great progress so far ... You should do a rim like mine on that car ... and definitely tint the front windows and maybe remove the spotlight :rockon:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
awesome, I love it.
I should've held off on my SXT and tried to buy a police v8

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I would say most definitely not on the push bar. Not only that but the srt fascia wont work with that bar. It kinda sucks that there is no center console shifter but other then that nice car. Kinda different but nice. I'd flat black that *****. Oh yea and you need fog lights and darker tint on the front.
Bad Man... I have found in the last couple of days that you are not short on opinion. Seriously, I like that. :D

I kinda like the shifter on the column. It still has autostick (which I am not a big fan of) and it adds some old school flare. We will add the cop console soon. (Its in a box the garage as we speak)

The SRT-8 fascia looks like it will work. The holes in the bottom are the same height (measured from bottom of the grill to the tops of the vent/hole) as the stock bumper as far as I can tell. We also have the bigger problem of the intercooler's cooler being in the way. If anyone wants a good deal on a push bumper - new in the box - send me a PM.

I will look into the fog lights. Darker tint is not legal in this state and after much debate we decided against it. Some law enforcement types are not happy that we have this car (jealous?) and we don't want to give additional excuses for city revenue generation.

Flat black aint a bad idea...

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
Yea I knew about the auto stick on the column that is ingenious. I like the idea of the srt clip but I hate the look of push bars to me it looks like the car was bought at a used car auction if it still has the push bar. I guess I feel like that because the abundance of retired smashed up cop car vic's down here with the push bar and light. I would also check out the link black bullet posted about Kenny P's lights he has had them awhile now so maybe willing to budge some.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the lip on the bottom of BadMan and Gabes fascia? Is that available from Dodge or Mopar? Can it be bolted onto the squad car? That may be a better option than the SRT-8 bits.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
it sure is you can buy it at any dodge dealer parts department its around 100 bucks comes standard on r&t and daytona package cars.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Nice work...definitely a fan...
I have admired the Police versions for awhile as well..love the stealth aspect...but have had friends with ex-police vehicles who have defiently run into the whole--
"who do you think you are" " you think you are funny?"
pull overs...
best to not give extra excuses.

Some lights behind the grill would sure increase the questioning looks from innocents though!

Keep up the good work
and
Subscribed!:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I like where your going with this. I'll be following this thread closely. I like all the pics you have posted too. If you do lights in the grill, that would be great. Just make sure they are the LED's so they have that clear look to them until they light up. As for the pushbar and spotlight...most undercover Dodge Chargers, at least in CT, do not have them. But the marked/decorated Police Chargers do have them. If I was doing this project I would definately add the push bar and keep the spotlight. I think it enhances the whole "cop look" you are trying to achieve. Keep up the good work!

Xian

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I definitely DO get it and I love it! I tried hard to buy a PPC, but no one would sell me one. This was back in '06, and there weren't any for sale on eBay or the internet at that time. My reasoning was exactly the same as yours, plus I don't like the metallic black on the regular Chargers, I wanted "normal" black.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I would leave it how it is right now, its perfect!!!! Just be careful, you might attact some unwanted attention, especially if you put a push bar and lights on it, it already has the spotlight...Sure you might scare the hell outta other motorists, but the Po Po might not find your ride appealing to them...Other than that, def a cool ass charger! and if i could find a PPC i would buy one too, just for the colum shifter, and extra cooling, and 3 way ESP button...:rocker:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
why is everyone worried what the police will think? Everything he's doing is completely legal. As long as he's not pulling over cars or impersonating a police officer he'll be fine.
I doubt he'll get harassed more than any other motorist.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts