Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if its possible to program a third key that is used? i have a 2006 charger and i know with the 06 and 07's you can program a third key yourself if you have 2 working ones. i know the procedure and how to do it program the third one but i was wondering if it will work since this key is used. i dont want to try it yet because im scared the anti- theft will kick on if i do since its not a blank key. the third key is cut to my car but it is used and wasnt for my car (dont ask why i have a used key that is cut to my car, long stealership story)
thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and if the key does have to be blank is there a way to clear it?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i bought a transponder key from eBay and was able to program a third working key. you just have to go through the programming all the way to the third key.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes, you can easily program it as long as the other 2 are still programmed. The key just sends out a signal, it doesn't have a memory of what it was programmed to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you can easily program it as long as the other 2 are still programmed. The key just sends out a signal, it doesn't have a memory of what it was programmed to.
ok but if my anti theft kicks in and get locked out , i will find you.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Whoa, not so fast. The key does more than just "send out a signal", it actually receives data from the car, does a math problem and sends back the answer. And since part of that math problem is part of the vehicles VIN, it does matter. Once a key is mated to a car, it's done, cant be rewritten. Fobs, that's different, but the SKIS chip, that's a one way ride.

PCMs, they will tell you at the dealership cant be rewritten, but they can. Keys, nope. If you want, I'll find it chapter and verse in the book.

Alex, you can try, so long as you dont try the new key more than twice. If you get to start and it dies in a couple of seconds, it did not work, going twice more like that will kick in the antitheft. But one try, separated by good starts with a valid key should be safe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoa, not so fast. The key does more than just "send out a signal", it actually receives data from the car, does a math problem and sends back the answer. And since part of that math problem is part of the vehicles VIN, it does matter. Once a key is mated to a car, it's done, cant be rewritten. Fobs, that's different, but the SKIS chip, that's a one way ride.

PCMs, they will tell you at the dealership cant be rewritten, but they can. Keys, nope. If you want, I'll find it chapter and verse in the book.

Alex, you can try, so long as you dont try the new key more than twice. If you get to start and it dies in a couple of seconds, it did not work, going twice more like that will kick in the antitheft. But one try, separated by good starts with a valid key should be safe.
thanks, so what your saying is i can try it, but it most likely wont work because the keys are a one time use kinda deal and cant be reprogrammed. the old key that i want to try and reprogram is from my car so it still theoretically has my vin number stored inside that didnt change, so is there still alittle chance of it working? or am i thinking to hard :confused:

heres alittle backround info on why i have 2 old keys to my car and tell me what you think

-my car wouldnt start and the battery died on me like 7 times in one day and once i replaced the battery i was locked out to anti theft and it wouldnt start for more then 2 seconds and it was also giving off some FCM code
-tried literally everything i researched for 2 days, nothing worked
-brought it to the dealer, dealer said they need to give me a new key reader that goes on the ignition and 2 new keys to go with it, (i didnt agree with this but whatever it worked) so now i have two brand new keys cut the same as the old and 2 old ones that are no longer linked to my car
so i was wondering if i can reprogram the old keys

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmmm, odd set of circumstances, worth a shot in any case. Dealers an idiot, I think, but WTH, just, if the car starts and dies after an attempt, dont keep trying. Do a few normal drives with a good key.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, odd set of circumstances, worth a shot in any case. Dealers an idiot, I think, but WTH, just, if the car starts and dies after an attempt, dont keep trying. Do a few normal drives with a good key.
ok so i did the key programming to the two old keys, and it worked so now i have 4 keys that can lock and unlock my car. however i did not try to start the car with the two old used keys that i programmed, i didnt have the balls to try it. if the old keys can now lock and unlock the car does that mean i will be able to start it no problem and they are now linked to the car ? or is there a chance of it not working and my car shutting down. wanted to see what you had to say before i go and try it
thanks

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Give it a shot, unless you do it three times in a row, you wont have any issue. Remember to let it run for a few seconds, takes a second or two for the full check to run. If the car runs past say 10 seconds, it's good. If it doesnt make to five, the SKIS programming didnt work.

The fob can work but not the antitheft, they are two different systems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it worked, going to have a little chat with the dealer tomorrow since they basically gave me 2 new keys for no reason when they prob could have used the old ones, and they also replaced something on the car they werent supposed to so i have to go there anyway. but thank you for the great info, really helped me. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Takes a little understanding about the SKIS, and a lot of people dont read the "General Description" section of the manual, they simply follow the steps for troubleshooting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts