Charger Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've had two inverters go out on me. One inverter popped last week as I was getting parked for a car show and tonight as I was preparing for a car show on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I see my smoke coming out of my hood and my other inverter caught fire. The inverters that went out are only 1 on each side. People have been telling me to go change to led halos so that I don't have to deal with inverters, but I just like the solid light. I sent in my first dead inverter last week and haven't heard anything from you guys and I'm going to send in the second one now. I've been happy with all the AAC goodies that I have and I guess stuff happens. This is the first bad thing I've had to write about you guys and I'm hoping you guys can take care of a loyal customer. I pass out your fliers at every car show and those fliers go fast. I'll be needing some more.

Here are pictures of the first inverter and second inverter that are now toast.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have the same problem. Bot sides have holes melted thru them and the invertor is completely warped. Its so frustrating, and especially since I tried to get them replaced once before and never got a response.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
I had two shut down but fortunately no fireworks. I gave up on them and if I get halos again they will be LEDs.

·
Registered
629 Posts
i ordered some of the newer XE invertors to hopefully help correct the problem. Has this fixed the problem for anyone? or does the problem continue?

·
Registered
214 Posts
ACC has a new inverter that is suppose to hold up to higher heat..
It has Fuses in them.. Looking at your photos, Doesn't look like you have the new ones..
The heat from Hemi engines burn out the old inverters.. I went thru a few myself. However I got the news ones. and on top of that I went to Auto Zone and I purchase Exhaust Heat Wrapping paper.. (Silver paper) I wrapped the inverter REAL GOOD with that. So Far no problems 3 Florida summer mths already.. Also you have to place the inverters as far to the fender as you can. I used those tie up things and tied them up above my head lights.

If you purchase these halos directly from ACC. Send them back the old inverter and ASK them for the new inverters.

·
Registered
629 Posts
ok im hoping this works... I have the new invertors coming in the mail.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did sent the inverters to them. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
i ordered some of the newer XE invertors to hopefully help correct the problem. Has this fixed the problem for anyone? or does the problem continue?
I had the XE inverters and was SOL.

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Can you show us where you had them mounted? Seems thats a huge issue and everyone has different spots.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
My first inverter blew the fuse. Unfortunately you need to go specifically to radio shack to replace it. I did and found the inverter was dead. I'm grateful for that inline fuse. I dropped it in the mail and AAC got me a new inverter crazy fast. I go to reconnect it all and find my other inverter that didn't even have power supplied to it was now not working. Good luck with the XE inverters guys. I hope they work out. AAC was stand up and got me the replacement stuff no questions asked and was great to work with but the product quality wasn't there at all. I'm sure they would have kept hooking me up with new stuff but I'm not really interested.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
I had mine double sided taped very securely to the back side of the headlights.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my inverters are all free floating so they aren't touching anything, so they have plenty of air around them.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They've always given me really good customer service. I'm hoping they haven't returned my calls or emails is because they are busy.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Yeah that shouldn't really need to be a consideration should it? Do you really want electronics hooked up to your car that get hot as a regular symptom of just being on? Your engine bay itself is hot enough anyway. That California engine bay air isn't all that cool.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a custom 1 piece Full radiator cover with art work on my car..
A ***** to remove but I have to remove it shorthly to work on back of grille.
Once I do that I will take some photos..

Question.. Why are you paying for inverters if they have a life time garr on it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
A few things to consider:

1) Inverters may be rated to 140 degrees Max. so of course they're subject to failure at 180 and above. Relatively easy to replace and I know Justin will replace just about any bad inverter with no problem or questions asked.

2) Those who think the grass is greener on the LED side of halos are wrong. They fail just as much and ... you are left with splitting your lights to fix them.

Either way I know AAC will stand behind the product. Just ask yourself which is the lesser of 2 evils. Bad inverter or bad segment in an LED halo.

It is simply a mod EVERYONE loves to hate.... and Love.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
I have responded to your post in the body:

A few things to consider:

1) Inverters may be rated to 140 degrees Max. so of course they're subject to failure at 180 and above. Relatively easy to replace and I know Justin will replace just about any bad inverter with no problem or questions asked.
My question is then why are they being sold for use in vehicles then? The engine bays can get to 200 degrees in hotter areas with the engine running. Sounds like this product shouldn't exist to begin with
2) Those who think the grass is greener on the LED side of halos are wrong. They fail just as much and ... you are left with splitting your lights to fix them.
Going to call B.S. here. LED technology is new and of course there are some kinks. However, CCFL halos are NOT new and the kinks are STILL not worked out. Either way, LED are still more reliable hands down no questions ifs ands or butts about it.

Left splitting your lights? What happens in the winter when the CCFL rings crack because of the cold? It happens all the time they are quite fragile. Also, a big pothole has damaged a few as well. If they mess up, there go the headlgihts! Many also installed the inverters INSIDE the headlight housing, which would also require them to be taken apart.

Either way I know AAC will stand behind the product. Just ask yourself which is the lesser of 2 evils. Bad inverter or bad segment in an LED halo.

It is simply a mod EVERYONE loves to hate.... and Love.
A bad segment in an LED halo? Do you mean bad individual L.E.D. that you'd probably not notice immediately anyway and could live with until a replacement arrives? If any aspect of a CCFL halo goes bad, you're out at the bare minimum an entire ring, or the entire side of halos. Possibly even a fire as a result!

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Yeah LEDs don't potentially result in a car fire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.