Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 06 SRT8, the two front doors both pop when opening and closing, sounds like the hinges are bad, any idea what could be causing this?... Is there a fairly inexpensive fix for it?...

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
White lithium grease, if you look in the door jam area you can see the point that's making the sound. Use the white lithium grease and you should be all set, granted I have to reapply every five months or so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'm not seeing the area that you're referring to, they appear to be sealed units that I can't get grease into, as I have tried... Could you better describe which area you're referring to, or maybe a pic if possible?...

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'm not seeing the area that you're referring to, they appear to be sealed units that I can't get grease into, as I have tried... Could you better describe which area you're referring to, or maybe a pic if possible?...
You could probably also listen if it is coming from the front of the door, or the rear of the door!

If it is coming from the front of the door, that is where the door connects to the car with the hinge.

If it is coming from the rear of the door. that is the area of the door that connects to the car only when it closes!

You probably want to go ahead and apply the white lithium grease to both of these areas anyway!

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
You could probably also listen if it is coming from the front of the door, or the rear of the door!

If it is coming from the front of the door, that is where the door connects to the car with the hinge.

If it is coming from the rear of the door. that is the area of the door that connects to the car only when it closes!

You probably want to go ahead and apply the white lithium grease to both of these areas anyway!
True! I've actually applied the grease and it still make the popping creaking noise for a day or two, have to reapply, still do it until it finally worked it's way in and now I'm all good, until spring anyway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is definitely coming from the hinges, from the noise, I'm guessing both front upper door hinges, but definitely worse on the driver's side as it gets the most use... So you just keep applying lithium grease till it works its way in?...

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
It is definitely coming from the hinges, from the noise, I'm guessing both front upper door hinges, but definitely worse on the driver's side as it gets the most use... So you just keep applying lithium grease till it works its way in?...
Yeah, I know my explanation of my process isn't precise, sorry about that, I would take pictures and show you exactly where I do it and all that but I can't at the moment. I spray the hinge and work the door a few times, also be sure to wipe up an access

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, I'll try to get some grease into it and see if it will silence it any... Thanks again for your help... If anyone else has any other ideas or useful information on this issue, please let me know as I'd rather find a permanent fix to the problem if at all possible...lol

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Alright, I'll try to get some grease into it and see if it will silence it any... Thanks again for your help... If anyone else has any other ideas or useful information on this issue, please let me know as I'd rather find a permanent fix to the problem if at all possible...lol
Here's a quote from the LXForums:

There is a recent TSB for the 2007-2010 cars.

"link broken"

SUBJECT:
Lower Door Hinges Make Popping or Groan When Opened Or Closed

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves spraying white lithium grease between the roller and roller pin while
avoiding getting grease on the . This needs to be done to all lower door hinges.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The lower door hinges make a moderate to loud popping/groan sound when the door is
opened or closed.
This is due to the roller axle not being properly maintained with grease.

DIAGNOSIS:
Open the doors and listen for the popping or groan sound from the lower hinge, if the
sound is present perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Open door.
2. With straw installed on the lithium grease spray can (p/n 04318066AB), spray a very
small amount of grease between the roller pin and inside roller surface (axle).
3. Open and close the door 10 times to work the grease onto the roller axle.
4. Wipe away any excess grease in the sprayed area.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for every door.

Here's the link to the actual TSB http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/SB_PDF/TSB_LC_2301810.pdf

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The 2006 Chargers used a different door hinge than the 2007 and later models did. It is the upper hinge that's the issue. It was an old Mercedes design that is prone to failing and makes the popping noise. Greasing it won't help (believe me, I've got the same problem). It needs to be replaced.

2006 upper door hinge P/N 5161445AA
2007-2010 upper door hinge P/N 4575747AA

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
The 2006 Chargers used a different door hinge than the 2007 and later models did. It is the upper hinge that's the issue. It was an old Mercedes design that is prone to failing and makes the popping noise. Greasing it won't help (believe me, I've got the same problem). It needs to be replaced.

2006 upper door hinge P/N 5161445AA
2007-2010 upper door hinge P/N 4575747AA
Not necessarily, I have the new hinges and still have the problem, it was never actually fixed with the new hinge style, so unless adding grease literally does nothing I wouldn't even bother changing it out. Like I mentioned before I still have to add grease to the hinge from time to time. If you check out the pdf link I posted it shows the new hinge style.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I checked out the link and looked at the difference in the door hinges... Looks like the link is pertaining to the newer style of hinges solely as it only lists 2007-2010 models, and by the looks of their design, they appear to just be an old school step down type hinge, which of course is VERY easy to lube up... Mine is apparently the faulty sealed Mercedez version, which I will try my best to get some grease into... Any other ideas or solutions floating around out there?... My car is absolutely beautiful, till you open the doors...lol

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Not necessarily, I have the new hinges and still have the problem, it was never actually fixed with the new hinges. If you check out the pdf link I posted it shows the new hinge style, same issue.
It's actually a different issue on the 2007 and up cars. It is the lower hinge that makes the noise on them (I have that TSB in my files).

On the 2006 it is the upper hinge that is the issue. The roller assembly is inside the upper hinge on the 2006 and can't be greased to fix the issue and requires replacement. The 2007+ has the roller assembly on the outside of the lower hinge and it can be greased.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Well I checked out the link and looked at the difference in the door hinges... Looks like the link is pertaining to the newer style of hinges solely as it only lists 2007-2010 models, and by the looks of their design, they appear to just be an old school step down type hinge, which of course is VERY easy to lube up... Mine is apparently the faulty sealed Mercedez version, which I will try my best to get some grease into... Any other ideas or solutions floating around out there?... My car is absolutely beautiful, till you open the doors...lol
It's actually a different issue on the 2007 and up cars. It is the lower hinge that makes the noise on them (I have that TSB in my files).

On the 2006 it is the upper hinge that is the issue. The roller assembly is inside the upper hinge on the 2006 and can't be greased to fix the issue and requires replacement. The 2007+ has the roller assembly on the outside of the lower hinge and it can be greased.
Whoops! My apologies! That sucks the old hinge doesn't even an area to grease up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought it was my uppers that were making all the noise... So the 2007-2010's have the pressure hinge at the bottom instead of the top as were the 2006's?... So that would mean that all 4 hinges would have to be replaced, correct?... I don't imagine any of you guys out there would happen to have all 4 front door hinges used in Brilliant Black by chance would you?...lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if this would be a silly question or not, but has anyone attempted to drill into these Mercedez hinges and thread a grease fitting into it?... Just wondering if that could help with the issue, or just cause MORE issues...lol

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I've thought about drilling a small hole in the barrel of mine so I could spray grease inside but I haven't found a diagram of the internal assembly to let me know where the right place to drill would be.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I'm in the process of trying to figure out that exact question, what it's doing in there so I can figure out where to drill to get some grease in... So, being an older Mercedez hinge, does anyone happen to know what years of Mercedez came with this style of hinge, I would think the Mercedez guys would have to have an answer to this issue, yes?...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can vouch for the lower "roller hinge" being an issue. Every once in a while, I get that pop sound when closing my drivers side door. A nice spray of WD-40 on the hinge and all is well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts