Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on some 22" wheels with 265/35 tires. Since i did that my steering wheel have been shaking constantly when the car gets up to speed. Do anyone have some advice on how i can fix this?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
FIRST try adjusting the tire air pressure to 38 psi in the fronts and run the rears the same. remember that the tires arent flat across the surface yet. next drive it for a couple hundred miles to wear the nipples off them and if it is still shaking have them rebalanced at a shop that has a road force balancer. and that should fix it but try the air pressure thing first.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I just put on some 22" wheels with 265/35 tires. Since i did that my steering wheel have been shaking constantly when the car gets up to speed. Do anyone have some advice on how i can fix this?
SA, big wheels\tires are very difficult to balance correctly. You should get them 'road force' balanced if you have not already. I think Discount Tires has machines for this. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
SA, big wheels\tires are very difficult to balance correctly. You should get them 'road force' balanced if you have not already. I think Discount Tires has machines for this. Good luck.
Uhm, not really. I can do up to 26's with ease. My 24's are perfect.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Don't do any of that yet. I just spent $200 dollars getting mine high speed balanced and I am pretty sure I didn't need too. I got mine done at Butler Tire and they said that our car's hubs are like a mercedes and need to be centered on the hub, unlike other cars where when you tighten the lugs the wheel centers up. Go out and buy some "hub centering rings", they are like $30 and make sure that there is a perfect fit between the hub and the wheel. If there isn't a perfect fit and just a little space, the faster you go the more the wheel is going to wobble on that hub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i checked the tire pressure and there all 37.5 or 37, and i have the hub rings to center it, so i guess ill try the balancing then. thank everyone

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Uhm, not really. I can do up to 26's with ease. My 24's are perfect.
Luck of the draw, my friend. Not all wheels or tires are equally round\balanced, some less so than others......

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do you still have your original rotors?

If so there are two clips that keep the rotor from falling off while on the assembly line. The stock wheels are machined for this, most if not all aftermarket wheels are not. If aftermarket wheels are installed and those clips are present it will make a perfectly balanced wheel shake like hell.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Do you still have your original rotors?

If so there are two clips that keep the rotor from falling off while on the assembly line. The stock wheels are machined for this, most if not all aftermarket wheels are not. If aftermarket wheels are installed and those clips are present it will make a perfectly balanced wheel shake like hell.

Yup yup^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
316 Posts
My 22's Had a bad vibration between 60 and 70, after having the tired re balanced like 5 times, the shp finally decided to check the alignment and found it to be off. after the alignment it was a lot better, now it seems to be coming back again. I wonder if maybee its the rotor clips that were mentioned above

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Luck of the draw, my friend. Not all wheels or tires are equally round\balanced, some less so than others......
I do this for a living. Usually nothing smaller than 20' (22's and 24's are the most common).

Ive done everything from a wheel bent from the manufacturer to 3 piece Asantis. Of all the wheels I have done I have had 2 custoemr complaints which were fixed. One with hubrings, and another with new tires. Other than that it has been smooth sailing. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I installed my 20's axis ordens and had the same problem you had..... they took out the rotor clips after I mentioned discount tire the problem and voila! no more vibration!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Im gona get some 22" jacks and five anytime soon, wraped with either Dunlop sport MAXX or continentals CrossContacts, now im kinda worried about this shaking and vibrating thingy!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same problem man. I bought my rims and tires over the internet and had them shipped. They were soposed to be mounted and balanced before they were shipped. Well, come to find out, only one was ballanced correctly. Take it somewhere that can ballance 22's and they will do it for about 30 bucks or so. And they will check your tire pressure. Also, make sure your rotar clips are off. They will be little brass rings around 2 of your bolts. You need to remove those before your 22's go on.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I like all the answers. I would certainly be sure the things that hold the rotors on are removed. Thats easy to do on your own. Then I would be sure you have hub centric rings... Then if that does not work then try the higher dollar balancing.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Anyone have a pic of these rotor clips?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Anyone got pics of the clips?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts