Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed mine but I'm having a weird problem thats sorta like a rubbing noise. I read a thread a while back where somebody had an issue like this and another member helped them fix it. I can't seem to remember who it was and didn't come up with something with a couple searches.

Anybody?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
it was me and bstowers

hey the wife just walked in and i have to take her to eat right NOW...lol i will get back on in a little if bstowers doesn't help ya first

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
your rattle is a fairly easy fix....jack her back up, crawl under and then you need to do a few things...look at the muffler area...make sure the pipes where the bend head out aren't touching the sides or near....you need to make sure you have about 1/2 inch clearance min....

next check the black crossmember that you took off(area before the muffler toward the headers)....if it is fairly close then put some washers underneath the 4 points that you screw it on to give some clearance.

ok the biggest two problem areas......the tire well and right across from it is the crossmember that ties into the lower A frame. you HAVE to pull these bad boys down with another tool (pry bar....good size flat head screw driver) and then while holding it tighten the hell out of the clamp. again you have to have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance.

obviously you need to untighten unclamp each clamp point and then tighten down as you head back to make sure clearance is perfect....once you do this you are golden.

i have had it for 3 months and have no rattle issues...bstowers fixed his and same and then bad_24_7 did his like i said and he is golden also.

once you are done drop it and drive it like you stole it....in about 500 miles they will get even deeper and throatier (they will break in)

·
Registered
382 Posts
GoDaddy said:
next check the black crossmember that you took off(area before the muffler toward the headers)....if it is fairly close then put some washers underneath the 4 points that you screw it on to give some clearance.
This was definitely my problem, but i fixed it a different way. Loosen the clamps on the pipes and then jack them up just forward of the crossmember. I took my trusty floor jack and put a small 2x4 on top of it and just jacked them up. Raise the pipes until they are at least an inch above the black crossmemeber. Now, wedge something between the pipes and the crossmemeber that is approximately 3/4" thick and can hold the weight, and then let the jack down. Now, fully tighten your clamps back up. Use the jack to raise the pipes just enough to remove your wedge from the crossmemeber and you should be all better.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
oh yeah i forgot that you did that....i tried to find the other post with all of this in it but couldn't....thanks for the chime in bstowers....still - always predictable!!! lol

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was driving it like I stole it since I put it on :) the rattle was only noticeably mainly while turning at slow speeds or parking lot stuff. I'll get under there tomorrow and go over things closer. It's funny how it seems like everybody who put it on ran into this LOL

There's a weird smell in my garage tonight... the new metals heating up for the first time or something?

Also, my wife told me the car is too loud :) driving down the freeway tonight to take her to a move (the man) she complained about the noise..... I just turned the radio on LOL

·
Registered
382 Posts
farkedup said:
It's funny how it seems like everybody who put it on ran into this LOL
It's because those stupid instructions tell you to do it, basically. They have you put it all back together, clamp it down, and then put on the crossmember.

farkedup said:
There's a weird smell in my garage tonight... the new metals heating up for the first time or something?
There's an oil-based coating on the pipes. It's probably that. It'll be gone in a day or three.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
my wife loves the sound....she is way too cool for her own good though. the notes the system came with expain that its the exhaust burning grease or something like that....(can't remember) goes away in a day or so....to me it was the same as the smell of the exhaust when i bought the beast.

the rattle, well, its like this...its a bolt on cat system made up of multiple parts...if you aren't anal when installing it, it will give you a little bit of a hassle. i plan on having mine welded together after i install the headers b/c that borla setup is staying on forever.

i didn't have a rattle until i dropped my car to the ground. then developed one and it sucked figuring it out too.

ok enough on the small talk, what do you think of the sound??????

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm certainly enjoying it :) Once I track down that noise I'll be all set! If only I didn't have to work tomorrow LOL I work online but I have so much to get done if I want to get this charger paid off and everything in time to buy a 'vette for my ;)

It'll just be the "basic" mods for me on this charger unless headers/cams do something INSANE to the charger like I think they might :) I also have to do nearly all of these mods to 2 vehicles since I have to track down a good exhaust for my Hemi Ram 1500 :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Only problem I encountered was getting the stock system off, luckily I had GoDaddy walk me through the whole procedure. The actual install of the borlas only took 45 min, no rattle anywhere, not even alignment issues.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
farkedup said:
I'm certainly enjoying it :) Once I track down that noise I'll be all set! If only I didn't have to work tomorrow LOL I work online but I have so much to get done if I want to get this charger paid off and everything in time to buy a 'vette for my ;)

It'll just be the "basic" mods for me on this charger unless headers/cams do something INSANE to the charger like I think they might :) I also have to do nearly all of these mods to 2 vehicles since I have to track down a good exhaust for my Hemi Ram 1500 :)
One word: Supercharger. There's one out for the truck with one coming for the cars as well. :eek:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
hopster said:
One word: Supercharger. There's one out for the truck with one coming for the cars as well. :eek:
you might get too excited but check this site out brother....www.gsmotorsports.com .... already have a s/c out for our cars. don't wet yourself though :happy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts