Charger Forums banner

Problem DURING fueling. NOT after!!!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mnunes 
#1 ·
I have a 06 5.7 R/T Charger and I live in Oregon where it is illegal to pump your own gas.

Weird problem has surfaced in the last 2 times that I have pulled in to put gas in it. Even at the slowest auto-feed setting at the pump, it will shut off. I have tried to have the attendant reposition the nozzle and/or pull it further out of the car to try and solve this but nothing so far has helped.

Is this a venting issue? Has something gone south that I can't seem to nail down? There was one other thread that had to do with this problem but there was no solution or possible cause posted by anyone. Could the EVAP canister possibly be causing this? Like I said, I live in Oregon so I can't pump my own gas.

#3 ·
I live in Texas, where it's illegal to back my own car out of my driveway. The friendly backup attendant who works on my street says that it's hard to put the car in reverse sometimes. I've thought about driving up to Oklahoma so I can test out the reverse gear, but I live in Austin so it's kind of far...

Sorry for the jest; it was just too hard for me to let go. I occasionally need to travel to Portland for business, and I always forget about that law at least once whenever I go until I get the nasty look from the attendant when I get out of my car and start heading for the pump!

Here in Texas, we don't even have the plastic accordion sleeve that goes around the pump nozzle, so the only thing that will turn the flow off is if the tank is either full or if the fuel is not going in for some reason.

Since you can't really troubleshoot the fueling issue yourself, I don't know how you could narrow down the problem other than taking it in for service. Presumably, the attendants fueling your car have a LOT of experience doing it, so if they claim there is a problem, they're probably right.

Let us know how it turns out!

#4 ·
Never heard that you can't pump your own gasoline. We do it in Ohio all the time...unfortunately we get the gasoline from the surrounding states that don't meet their standards so they dump it all in Ohio if it doesn't meet MI, IN and PA specs.

Anyway, there is a vent tube that should allow pressure out of the tank. When they open the cap does it make a wheezing or high air pressure sound? You may have a crimped or clogged vent tube if that is the case.

Also I now the new pumps from Gilbarco have high volume these days and can really pump fuel in very quickly. They are much more sensitive to fuel back up because of this. You are not alone in this though as I know of Infiniti, Honda, Toyota and others that have the same issue start to pump and stop. Try again and 3 seconds later..stop.;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#5 ·
When you pull into the station, let the car idle for about 45 seconds before shutting it off. That can help with the symptoms you're describing. I think the real fix is to get the purge valve and/or tank replaced but without experiencing the post-fuel stalling and desire to wait however long it takes them to do a replacement that might not be worth the hassle to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.