Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this CAI on eBay from Pro Zen Motorsports in KY. Haven't mounted it yet, but the parts appear to be high quality. The filter itself is K&N. Cost was about $85, which seems very reasonable. Call 'em at 502-212-0469.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i dont know man, that filter looks really small. i got the drop in and it came with 2 of those K&N stickers, so i know the stickers are pretty small. if you want any HP gains i think you're gunna need see if you can get a bigger filter on the end of that thing

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
i dont know man, that filter looks really small. i got the drop in and it came with 2 of those K&N stickers, so i know the stickers are pretty small. if you want any HP gains i think you're gunna need see if you can get a bigger filter on the end of that thing
hows a bigger filter going to produce more power?

the filter shown wraps 360 degrees and the filtering element looks large enough to allow air flow to handle most anything 3.5's and 5.7's would need. granted the larger the filter, the more filtering area, meaning usually longer times between cleaning... one advantage i guess...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
larger filter surface area means that less air has to travel through each square centimeter of the filter. its common sense that a larger filter will let more air pass through. what if the filter was 1 cubic centimeter, could 3.5L of air be sucked through it in 1 second? yea probably, but it would be really hard on the engine, causing the engine to use more power to suck air in, leaving less power to be transferred down the drive train.

best way to get an understanding of it is to walk around your house at a brisk pace with a straw in your mouth. ONLY breathe through the straw. do it for like 2 minutes and you'll see why size matters.

having a cone filter isnt an advantage over stock if it is the same size as stock.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
larger filter surface area means that less air has to travel through each square centimeter of the filter. its common sense that a larger filter will let more air pass through. what if the filter was 1 cubic centimeter, could 3.5L of air be sucked through it in 1 second? yea probably, but it would be really hard on the engine, causing the engine to use more power to suck air in, leaving less power to be transferred down the drive train.

best way to get an understanding of it is to walk around your house at a brisk pace with a straw in your mouth. ONLY breathe through the straw. do it for like 2 minutes and you'll see why size matters.

having a cone filter isnt an advantage over stock if it is the same size as stock.
i understand the surface area part, brah, but it would seem to need to be near the size of a large breather filter to cause hinderance.

considering K N filters offer more air at the expense of less "actual filtering" cone filters produced by them many times can have less surface area VS a stock filter and still allow more air overall.

rksport had the same design for small gm cars about 8 years ago.... i though the same thing. "how is this little thing gonna do anything".... i was proved wrong. gained 7hp 9 tq with a smaller K N filter. granted different car, inline 4 with 115hp stock to the crank.

also breathing through the straw would be in correlation to the tubing size of the intake, not the filter :wink:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
well if you understand the surface area part then i guess we are both on the same side. larger is better and to me that one just looks too small. it looks like it would fit in the palm of your hand.

as for what you said about the more airflow and less filtering... that is the same exact thing i thought and thats what i told someone on a thread like 3 months ago and i got shot down by like 4 people. there are all kinds of tests they showed me that said that per square inch, k&n (or any other filter) actually allows less airflow than a paper filter (like stock). i argued with them but in the end i couldnt find anything to back me up except for claims from k&n. i tried to find the thread but i couldnt, or else i woulda posted it.

i still think that filter is too small. at WOT a 3.5L is sucking in over 100 liters of air a second, and having that much air go through that small of a filter is going to cause a lot of drag

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
well if you understand the surface area part then i guess we are both on the same side. larger is better and to me that one just looks too small. it looks like it would fit in the palm of your hand.

as for what you said about the more airflow and less filtering... that is the same exact thing i thought and thats what i told someone on a thread like 3 months ago and i got shot down by like 4 people. there are all kinds of tests they showed me that said that per square inch, k&n (or any other filter) actually allows less airflow than a paper filter (like stock). i argued with them but in the end i couldnt find anything to back me up except for claims from k&n. i tried to find the thread but i couldnt, or else i woulda posted it.

i still think that filter is too small. at WOT a 3.5L is sucking in over 100 liters of air a second, and having that much air go through that small of a filter is going to cause a lot of drag
pretty much are,brah... (same view)

big filters offer more area, but size of the filter somewhat correlates with the pipe size as well. the main thing to remember is the pipe will only allow so much through the opening.

heres some test that may back ya up if there is a next time:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm

and

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/how-well-do-k-n-air-filters-work/

the second one is a good summary, but gives some specs...:)

·
Registered
934 Posts
bigger is better. look at the air hammer....HUGE filter!

·
Registered
764 Posts
That filter is very small.
I will buy the orange silicone hose.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
hey thanks for those links! and yea i'm sure there will be a next time lol. everything on this forum is talked about at least 100 times. i actually bought the k&n and i'm in the midst of trying to prove it was better than the stock one. i drive from houston to dallas and back like 2 or 3 times a month and i've always kept very accurate MPG notes. so far the mpg with k&n is averaging 2 mpg LESS than stock. stock i got like 26.7 mpg avg, and k&n i'm down to like 24.5. HOWEVER there have been much worse conditions. ever since i've got the k&n every trip has had a headwind lol. last time i had a constant 14 knot headwind and got 19 mpg. so thats what i'm blaming it on. but i'm getting a volant CAI next week, so i better get some better fuel economy out of that lol.

as for this:
"the main thing to remember is the pipe will only allow so much through the opening."

i'm pretty sure the "choking" point of the intake is at the filter. and yea the pipe could be too small, but it's not as restrictive as a small filter is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey thanks for those links! and yea i'm sure there will be a next time lol. everything on this forum is talked about at least 100 times. i actually bought the k&n and i'm in the midst of trying to prove it was better than the stock one. i drive from houston to dallas and back like 2 or 3 times a month and i've always kept very accurate MPG notes. so far the mpg with k&n is averaging 2 mpg LESS than stock. stock i got like 26.7 mpg avg, and k&n i'm down to like 24.5. HOWEVER there have been much worse conditions. ever since i've got the k&n every trip has had a headwind lol. last time i had a constant 14 knot headwind and got 19 mpg. so thats what i'm blaming it on. but i'm getting a volant CAI next week, so i better get some better fuel economy out of that lol.

as for this:
"the main thing to remember is the pipe will only allow so much through the opening."

i'm pretty sure the "choking" point of the intake is at the filter. and yea the pipe could be too small, but it's not as restrictive as a small filter is.

dang, i was about to get a K&N CAI too lol guess ima try looking for something else

1 - 12 of 12 Posts