Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Police Charger 3.5L V6. I have a column mounted shifter and the shift indicator (the PRNDL Lights) went out which was located below the RPM meter. I am not sure if it is the fuse or the Light itself. All other lights on the dashboard light up except for those. I looked in the book and I am confuse about the fuses. What would be a solution for making them light up again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most likely the bulb went out. I have the regular shifter but all the letters are lit by one small bulb.

If your fuses went out then all would be out as far as lighting and whatever circuits it shares the fuse with (radio, cig lighter, etc)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You can replace the bulb with a LED. Go with a 194 Bulb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shifter lights are under the RPM. So I am going to need to replace the dashboard lights then. R/t Ran its a column shifter so the cover just won't pop off for an easy repair. It was a police charger before I had it so it does not have a middle console. The lights are under the RPM that are not lighting up, which are the PRNDL. All the other lights on the dashboard light up. Could someone help me out with pictures or something with how to change the dashboard lights in a 2006 Charger.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Basically you would need to take the instrument cluster out and see where the bulb is and than replace it
There is no quick and easy way to get to it
If you are going to do your own repairs you may want to buy a service manual
Here is a link to it http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=2006+dodge+charger+service+manual&_sop=15
Even with the manual it's not easy because there are some snap in tabs that may or may not break as you pull on them

Is it a light bulb or an LED display ?
If it's just a light bulb to display only the PRND and everything else works I would just leave it alone unless or until you have other more important reasons to take the instrument cluster out

If it's an LED display which I think most chargers are you may have to change the entire pc board that contains the LED display if you can even find one unless you see a broken trace on the pc board when you take it apart and you are handy with a soldering iron

·
Registered
320 Posts
Before you get a replacement and while you have the instrument cluster out you may want to take a close look at it and see if you notice anything obvious like a broken solder connection If you do you may even be able to fix the original instrument cluster if you re solder the broken solder connection

The display should have power with the ignition turned on
You may also try to wiggle it a little to see if the indicator comes back on

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thought I would post an update I removed my cluster and cleaned the connectors. Plugged everything in and now it works so must have been a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It's likely just a burned-out 194 bulb. Pop off the shift knob, pull off the shift bezel and replace it.

Good opportunity to upgrade to an LED.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's likely just a burned-out 194 bulb. Pop off the shift knob, pull off the shift bezel and replace it.

Good opportunity to upgrade to an LED.
I think he was talking about the display up on the dashboard under the tach. Must be an older model, as mine is on the shift knob too. (At least that's what the upsidedown photos show) :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 Charger 5.7 L. Ex Sheriffs cruiser. The PNRDL lights went out. It's has to be more than a buld. Because the car had manual shift on the shift column. There's a + and - button to shift through the gears. As soon as the lights went out that shifter quit working. Any ideas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 Police Charger 3.5L V6. I have a column mounted shifter and the shift indicator (the PRNDL Lights) went out which was located below the RPM meter. I am not sure if it is the fuse or the Light itself. All other lights on the dashboard light up except for those. I looked in the book and I am confuse about the fuses. What would be a solution for making them light up again.
Was this ever resolved I’ve done everything I can think of from replacing it twice to cleaning plugs taking it apart changing the plugs tracing wires and I find nothing wrong

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Charger with the non-column shifter also and I have the same issue of the lights for PRNDL below the the RPM gauge not displaying either, like the last poster I was wondering if anyone figured out the issue and how to get the lights to light up in the dash display, all other dash lights are working. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've replaced my cluster twice and also cleaned my connectors and still nothing. I really don't know where to look anymore :(

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've replaced my cluster twice and also cleaned my connectors and still nothing. I really don't know where to look anymore :(
Check to see if there is power coming to the cluster If there is no power than replacing the cluster is not going to fix it
On the other hand if you have power and got a used cluster it could be that you got a bad cluster
If it's just the PRNDL light than you don't need to replace the entire cluster It could be just the bulb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check to see if there is power coming to the cluster If there is no power than replacing the cluster is not going to fix it
On the other hand if you have power and got a used cluster it could be that you got a bad cluster
If it's just the PRNDL light than you don't need to replace the entire cluster It could be just the bulb
There is no bulbs on those cluster. It's a green digital
board. But I get what your saying. I'm gonna try and get myself a wiring diagram for a dodge charger 2009 cluster. If you guys have any links it would be appreciated. Thanks
The picture is just for reference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts