Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow charger enthusiasts,

well here goes, i bought my charger from a local dealership, My charger 2008 R/t, I test drove it and on the same day bought it! my charger is a used car, it had 104,xxx miles, ever since i got it i knew it had damage to the rear bumper but i didn't pay much attention. now it bothers me since i baby it a lot.

My question is, is my rear bumper fixable or should i buy a new one, have it repainted and installed?
:confused:

now i found the bumper on Carid but it seems sorta skechy, is it a good seller? heres the link

http://www.carid.com/2008-dodge-charger-bumpers/replace-rear-bumper-cover-9952243.html

here are some pics of my rear bumper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it the bumper or the structure supporting the bumper? The picture is unclear (not talking about the blurriness).

I ask because the last time I was quoted something similar it was $325 to repaint because they said they would do the whole bumper and the whole quarter panel so that it all matched.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The gap is due to an improper install, not because there is anything wrong with the cover itself. The inside attachments of the cover to the quarter panel need to be replaced.

There were early issues like this on the '06-07 covers from the factory that required the installation of a 1" flat plate to the underside of the bumper cover lip to snug it up.

Read this thread...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1748967

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think the previous owner hit something that cause the bottom to fold in.

This picture below shows a red circle. i can feel the bumper absorber there with no pressure from hand:/

hope theses pics help...

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The first thing I would do is remove the cover and see if the bent lower portion can be pushed back into shape. I would also want to know if any of the mounting locations are compromised. Then I would re-install properly and see if it will line back up. If it does, then it can be repaired and repainted.

If it won't line back up or go back to the original shape, it needs to be replaced.

If it does, I would buy a good OE replacement cover like this one and have it painted to match...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bumper-...dge|Model:Charger&hash=item35cc1ef896&vxp=mtr

Reactions: Jamesxo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im gonna remove the bumper next week :/ see whats up with it ill post some pics of the removal and how it looks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ddaddy for the help, i removed the rear bumper and fixed it, no more gap :D but i did break some clips like for the rear fender liner.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Thanks Ddaddy for the help, i removed the rear bumper and fixed it, no more gap :D but i did break some clips like for the rear fender liner.
Glad to hear that it worked out. You can buy the clips from the dealer. Post some pics of your repair if you get a chance, I'm sure folks would like to see how it turned out. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here They are, now its not super perfect but it looks better than before, i removed only one side to fix the gap, i didn't replace anything i just readjusted it. :D

The Bottom had clips that was making the bumper get pulled back for some reason. i removed them, i will replace later on.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Hey, that looks really good for just a little effort! :bigthumb:

Reactions: Jamesxo
1 - 11 of 11 Posts