Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why hasn't anyone come up with a "rock blocker" application for the windshield? Watching the NASCAR race last night, it occured to me that a protective layer of plastic sheet like they pull from the windshield of the NASCARs could be used on our street cars. I realize the reason for NASCAR using them is not for breakage but for vision but it seems to me this could be applied to prevent stone damage on our cars.

The insurance companies would love it since replacement of the windshield is a common claim due to rock and road damage. The auto glass companies would hate it. I would love it since I hate that dreaded sound that sounds like someone just shot your Charger in the windshield with a .22 caliber. Scares the crap out of me every time.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Yeah, scares the sh!t right out of me too...every single time!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think it may be more of a legal issue. You can't have tint (even if the tint is 100% transparent) on your windshield in the areas below the AS1 line. Parking stickers and stuff seem okay though.

and I think you'd run into more hassle then it's worth trying to prove that the windshield film is neither hazy or glare-y. I don't think the argument of "but NASCAR uses it" is really effective since NASCAR also uses fake headlight stickers.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would think they would have something better by now
I think it'd be pretty cool if they found a way to create a forward shield like in Star Trek where inbound particles were vaporized by some weird electro-protective field. But then I guess if you hit a pedestrian things would get messy when you obliterated their skin.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, the glass is shatter-proof but it's built into the inside of the glass. I think what you're talking about is putting a protective layer on the outside. Unfortunately, as a matter of physics, a small rock that's been kicked up traveling toward you at X mph and you traveling toward it at likely 60 to 80 mph is going to burst through whatever plastic "coating" you put on the outside of the windshield. The force, mass times acceleration (speed squared) is just too great, which is why traveling at 5mph can inflict such great damage to your vehicle.

Great idea in theory, but think it breaks down in reality.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
yea appling film to something that is made to shatter a specific way, such as as1 and as2 glass, will change the properties of how it does its job. What would your wipers do to the thing anyway? what about the ice you have to scrape off. I think it would be a waste.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dealer installed diamond fusion on my windshield when I bought it. So far no problems and the windshield is in great condition and for a plus the water slides right off like rain x is on it. Going on two years now and it is still holding up.
A google search will bring up more info on it.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I think it'd be pretty cool if they found a way to create a forward shield like in Star Trek where inbound particles were vaporized by some weird electro-protective field. But then I guess if you hit a pedestrian things would get messy when you obliterated their skin.
But if you truly vaporize the pedestrian, is there really a mess? And is there really a problem if there's no body? Are there extra points for nuns and puppy dogs? (ode to Death Race 2000)

I'm sure that Scotty could put one together for us. We'd just need some Dylithium crystals and a Warp Drive and I'm sure he'd have us operational within a lightyear or so ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.