Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys and gals, bear with me here! Im sure these questions may have been answered, but every time I try to find the answers in threads, they get side tracked talking about other stuff! So the Predator is en route to my house and I have some questions, please try and help me out:

1) I have 93 octane available in my area (in fact, I dont even think I can get 91!), but I hear some negative feedback about running this tune (knock retard and whatnot).... Can I install the 91 octane tune and run 93 gas without any problems, or would this not be recommended? I would imagine the 91 octane tune should provide me with the notable gains people have been referring to, but am I really losing that much from not being on the 93 tune?

2) I am going to get the 180 T-stat on Thursday. What exactly is this supposed to do for me? I know it makes the car run cooler, but Im referring in relation to the Predator. NOT having this makes the fans run alot, correct? When I do put the 180 in, what settings need to be changed on the Predator to coincide with this change?

3) In short, all I need to do is install either the 91 or 93 CAI tune (depending on what you guys think is OK) and change the fan settings, correct? Are there any options on the unit I need to check off since I have a catback system?

Thanks for all your help in advance. Ideally, I want the best performance out of both the car and the Predator, but I dont want to be hurting it at the same time by not using either correctly. I am still under warranty and even though I cant wait until its up, I still would like to avoid unnecessary warranty trips to the dealer if possible. I just want to make sure that if I install the 91 octane tune, Ill still get performance but wont be simultaneously hurting anything by running premium fuel since our owner's manuals DO recommend AGAINST the continuous use of premium fuel. But if I do go with the 93 octane tune, what should I look for in case things go wrong? Once again, please excuse any repetitiveness of these questions. Hopefully this thread can become a source of useful information to other people in my shoes!

-Pat

·
Registered
805 Posts
I can give you a little help. I'm running 92 octane, the program I'm using is 91 CAI tune. Yes the fans run on high quite a bit with the stock thermostat. I would recommend changing the thermostat, the only other program I've used so far is the trans for firm shifting. That's as far as I've got, only had mine install last Saturday. I'm sure there is more to play with but mine is more or less stock. Oh either 91 or 93 CAI tune states any exhaust mods.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
good questions i have the same. ordered the predator yesterday and im getting a lower thermostat saturday. pat if you havent seen there is a video how to change the thermo very easy and with no wasted coolant and no extra coolant needed to purchase

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Im running 93cai (no issues at all), firmer shifts, put tire size in, couple others i forgot what they were and left fan alone for now. I dont see the point in putting in a 180tstat since its just about winter anyhow. Have fun with your diablo its a blast.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Where are you guys buying the thermostat from? Is there a link to the install vid?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Looking for vid link as well. :) Don't want to waste any coolant.

What is the real benefit of an 180 degree thermostat anyway? I understand what it is for, but aren't our engines designed to run between in a certain temp range? Is there a real performance increase by running a lower thermostat?

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
i guess the motor runs best around 190 but stock runs 205 so putting a 180* which really runs around 185 you are running in the peak zone for mpg and wear in the motor. the engine components need to reach a certain temp since there are some various materials used so that they wear like they are supposed to. im only going to the 180* thermostat since its not far of a drop and if i see any issues im going back to the stock

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
think 1 guy found a tenth of a second gain at the track with a lower thermo

·
Registered
453 Posts
think 1 guy found a tenth of a second gain at the track with a lower thermo
I don't care much about my 1/4 mile time so does it really benefit me to do this? Or is it a good idea anyhow?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The hemi engines begin pulling timing back at 190 degrees. Since this translates to reduced power, you want to find a way to keep the engine cooler than 190. To do this you need 2 things.

First you need the thermostat to open at a lower temperature and allow coolant to flow between the radiator and the block. To do this we install a 180 degree (or lower) thermostat, instead of the factory 205 degree.

Second, in order to make the coolant exchange heat with the air, you have to move air accross the radiator. The stock tune does not have the fans running at temperatures where the stock thermostat would be closed, so this is why just changing your thermostat does not show you any cooler temperatures other than on highway driving. You either need to set the cooling fans to start at lower temperatures with the Predator, or do some other kind of fan mod. Fortunately the canned tunes in the Predator allready have the fan adjustments in them for 180 degree thermostats.

I've been using the 93 CAI tune with raised shift points and firmer shifts and love it. The only thing I've had to get used to is not downshifting when coming to a stop with auto-stick, since the car wants to drop a gear right when I do and it jumps to one gear too low.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I don't care much about my 1/4 mile time so does it really benefit me to do this? Or is it a good idea anyhow?
running your car at peak timing and temps make the motor last longer and get the best milage you can

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can actually run the 93 tune with 91 octane. I did it, watched my logs and all was good. I did get a little bit more KR than with the 91 tune but not much at all. 93 oct with the 91 tune will work just fine as well. The 93 oct tune was designed to use 93 octane and will produce a better performance, but it is not much more than the 91 tune with 91 oct. Diablo recommends that you use 91 oct or higher with the 91 tune, and vice versa for the 93 tune. They do not recommend you dropping the octane lower then what the tune was designed to handle. On another note, these canned tunes were designed and tested in Florida with the temps and humidity from that region. Someone on the other side of the nation will probably have to tweak the system to get similar results. That or they are getting better results than what Diablo did in Florida. I hope this makes sense, it is hard for me to type it all up and make sense at the same time. The 93 tune is the better performance tune with 93 octane, use a higher octane and your smiling even wider.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys thanks for all the information in this post, you've been very informative! One more questions though.... I think Ive been convinced to do the 180* t-stat swap, so what setting do I need to change on the Predator to coincide with the fan? Night tops made it sound like you dont have to switch anything with fan settings because the canned tunes already have the setting changes included in them for the fan.... is this right? Or is there a section in the predator I need to go to in order to switch what temps the fans go on at? This is only of concern for me because I dont like when the fans run as it is, that sound is annoying to me. Anmd having them run alot more often like people are saying would really push me over the edge, so I just want it to get straightened out. I want the performance of the predator no doubt, but I want to the cooling system.fans to run like stock. Thanks again!

-Pat

·
Registered
24 Posts
The canned tunes are already set for the 180* t-stat but some have decided to lower theirs even more. The Predator sets the fans at 199* across the board. I would probably do 185 for the low and 190 for the high and MD fans. By the way, it has been proved that their is no medium setting with our fans. It is pretty much just the HI and LOW fans that we use. Just make sure that the MD fans are the same as the HIGH.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Diablo recommends that you use 91 oct or higher with the 91 tune, and vice versa for the 93 tune. They do not recommend you dropping the octane lower then what the tune was designed to handle.
I forgot where but I read that the 91 tune can be used with 87, 89 and 91 oct. But eh 93 tune must use 93.

I've been running with the 91 tune on 89 oct so far with no problems. Maybe next tank I will go with 91 to see the difference.:monster:

BTW: I did the 91 tune before installing my 180 tstat. Fans ran virtually all the time. Since I put in the new tstat I have not noticed the fans at all.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but how do these things work? how and where do you install it? does this void the factory warranty?
the tstat is really easy to install, read one of the other threads and there is a video link on how to do it. its right at the front of your engine basically, totally easy, just make sure the engine is cold.

shouldnt void warranty, cant unless they can prove it caused damage.
they open up the coolant flow at a lower temp to start cooling the engine sooner.

and why is your name 22's when you got 18's on the car in your pic

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but how do these things work? how and where do you install it? does this void the factory warranty?
tstat question already answered

From what I have gathered the Predator could potentially cause problems and void warranty if misused (and proven by the dealer to have caused a problem).

It modifies settings in the cars computer. It sounds like most folks return to stock settings before taking the car in for service.

It plugs into the computer port underneath the steering column...you do you tweaks and then unplug it and put it away for later use.

·
Registered
453 Posts
running your car at peak timing and temps make the motor last longer and get the best milage you can

That sounds like a good reason to me! Gonna have to work on that this weekend perhaps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts