Charger Forums banner

What tune are you going to use?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 400 of these things already out there with tons of stock cars, cai's, heads, cams, etc...TONS of variables. What are you going to do with your predator?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You are missing a choice. What about those of us who are running 93 oct + custom tune + quick adjust. :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm currently running 93 w/CAI with some QA changes. I'm considering a cam install in a few thousand miles at which point I'd probably go custom tuned.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I'm currently running 93 w/CAI with some QA changes. I'm considering a cam install in a few thousand miles at which point I'd probably go custom tuned.
do you mean.. "at which point id probably be crazy not to get a custom tune"

i have a full jba exhaust(headers back) cai. and soon to be pred.
i talked to andy at PPP for a while and he said that i may not see any benefits from a custom tune, as the 93 oct + cai basically covers that, but he could take a look at my results and see what can be done

had i gotten long tubes, however, it may be worth it. anything past long tubes, in my opinion, must have a custom tune to take advantage of the improved ability to make that much more power.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
so after you get headers or a cam is when it is time for a custom tune? or is every set up different and should be consulted with diablo tech support

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
They say even longtube headers require custom tunning but it isn't a bad thing if you run stock tune. But once you get a cam, it is almost must, to get a custom tune.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you can make an argument for anyone to get a custom tune...depending on why/what conditions they are tuning for. If you plan on mashing your foot into it regularly for 1/4 mile times, then you are probably looking at some subtle mapping changes from the stock tunes...I could be wrong, but with 115 variables getting mapped....there has to be a bit more tweak in a car by car scenario. So...for $100 let's say, to get a tweaked custom tune emailed for the track and maybe find another .05 to .15 on the Predator...count me in.

Not saying it's there....for my car anyway...but I suspect we'll find some can get the extra out of it for that type of application.

I think the 93 with QA is almost all I need...and yet the ability to tweak more....is freaking haunting me. Just went on a quarter mile run with all the PID's logged. Problem was 45 of the PID's didn't register and one of them was required or the quartermile macro excel spreadsheet to work and get 60', ET's, etc....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Is there a company offering a custom tune with you emailing them your log? I would definatly be interested in this as long as the price was right. I heard prices of having them dyno tuned of being $300, is this correct?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Is there a company offering a custom tune with you emailing them your log? I would definatly be interested in this as long as the price was right. I heard prices of having them dyno tuned of being $300, is this correct?
I don't think the software is available yet, but it will be soon.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it's available. Dave from B&G has already delivered several. You can data log, email, he will tweak the new CROM for you to install.

A few guys on the LX forums have already gone down this road.

I'm going to wait for a good 55 degree day and get several data logs of 1/4 mile runs and then start having him tweak.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes it's available. Dave from B&G has already delivered several. You can data log, email, he will tweak the new CROM for you to install.

A few guys on the LX forums have already gone down this road.

I'm going to wait for a good 55 degree day and get several data logs of 1/4 mile runs and then start having him tweak.
I may have to look into this. Do you know the price he is charging? Also you going to Cecil tomorrow?

·
Registered
928 Posts
yep hes correct, PPP has it too from what I have heard. and its MUCH cheaper than a dyno tune.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have to look into this. Do you know the price he is charging? Also you going to Cecil tomorrow?
Wish I could, need to be in NYCity for a couple of days of meetings. Looks like it may be a wash out anyway.

Was that your silver charger running there last week? Never got a chance to say hi. Spent some time with software :silenced:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have ordered the Predator for my stock charger srt8 (well, Mopar CAI and 180 thermo) and will use the 93 CAI tune.

However, in speaking with Josh at HHP, I will soon be ordring a second Diablo unit to log data from my heavily modified 300C (cam, heads headers etc..) and he will load a custom tune and e-mail back to me for download. It currently has a B&G flash and dyno'd at 370/373 (90 degree humid day too!). I am hoping to get another 20-30 HP from the custom tune..it just feels and sounds like it runs a little rich right now.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
So far I'm running the 91 CAI tune with a few quick adjusts. Just today started doing some data logging and am trying to make heads or tails of it. Hopefully I'll find a couple spots where a tweak will unleash a little more power yet.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Don't know where we can get 93 octane here in Southern Killafornia - so it'll have to be the 91 octane CAI for me.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pablo, the nice thing is that you can swap in and out of tunes. So when you drive to Omaha (or whereever) and find that they have 93, tada...you have a tune. I'll likely swap to a 91 tune as I get out of racing season...heck, may even drop to just the stock tune and put 89 in for the winter months.

Much easier to do than the old jet chip...plug and play. Ain't it great? :)

SRT8 - did Josh suggest Dave at B&G for the tunes? I think it's pretty awesome that you can email CAR tunes....wild.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Don't know where we can get 93 octane here in Southern Killafornia - so it'll have to be the 91 octane CAI for me.
reason number 439781 not to live in cali

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
......and now we have cmr beta tuners.....already posting......

WOWZA, I feel like a mustang owner now. Tons of opps and a tuner that can make it work..plus dyno guys to help variable car issues.

2 yrs later, I feel like I have a new car and reasons to break the motor open.

YEEEEHAW!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts