Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm trying to figure out if predator tune adjustments also effect open loop in general or ONLY wot?

the reason is my iat sensor is broken. I'm getting a new one but until then it automatically stays in open loop until a fixed iat sensor is plugged in

so I'm wondering if adjustments that normally wouldn't work at partial throttle (closed loop) might be in effect of it's stuck in open loop?

if it ONLY works in wot then open closed loop wouldn't make any difference.

and no I'm not gonna drive around without a iat sensor. I'm just wondering because It feels like gas mileage was different and I wanna see if that might be why

· Registered
4,001 Posts
Closed loop mode is when the PCM is using the input signals from the upstream O2 sensors to determine fuel injector pulse-width (fuel trim adjustments) to manage AFR (air-fuel ratio). Open loop mode is when the PCM is not using the input signals from the upstream O2 sensors and just using the values that are in the Speed Density Tables.

When is the engine in Closed Loop vs Open Loop ...

Open Loop:
Engine start-up (crank)
Engine warm-up
Acceleration
Deceleration
Wide open throttle (WOT)

Closed Loop:
Idle
Cruise

· Premium Member
4,200 Posts
and no I'm not gonna drive around without a iat sensor. I'm just wondering because It feels like gas mileage was different and I wanna see if that might be why
Wonder why it's so hard to take you seriously.

Well, that and the thing where you don't listen to anything anyone tells you here, ever.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Closed loop mode is when the PCM is using the input signals from the upstream O2 sensors to determine fuel injector pulse-width (fuel trim adjustments) to manage AFR (air-fuel ratio). Open loop mode is when the PCM is not using the input signals from the upstream O2 sensors and just using the values that are in the Speed Density Tables.

When is the engine in Closed Loop vs Open Loop ...

Open Loop:
Engine start-up (crank)
Engine warm-up
Acceleration
Deceleration
Wide open throttle (WOT)

Closed Loop:
Idle
Cruise
I thought it was in closed loop also at partial throttle and slight acceleration?

and like I said if a part of the o2 sensor isn't working it would be stuck in open loop mode. if it's using the preset values then I'm wondering if that means that when it's in open loop it's always using the predator tune modifications because I know that people have said that if you change the values on the predator tune it only works for wot so I'm wondering if that's actually wot or if it's just open loop in general

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder why it's so hard to take you seriously.

Well, that and the thing where you don't listen to anything anyone tells you here, ever.
what have you told me that I didn't listen to? besides unhelpful people just saying to get a V8 when I don't want a V8

going through these forums there's a lot of people throughout the years that have asked for help doing various things and they get a lot of unhelpful advice about just buying a different car. not everybody wants to buy a different car. I have a different car. I want to make THIS car better.

if I find a decent supercharger sometime I might put that into but I also want to do other things

and this one is a pretty simple question. does the predator tune work in open loop mode or does it only work at wide open throttle?

I have a new sensor ordered in the mail but Christmas season things take longer

in the meantime I want to know because honestly if being an open loop mode makes the performance better or improves gas mileage I might just deactivate the o2 sensors

· Registered
2017 Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
3,646 Posts
what have you told me that I didn't listen to? besides unhelpful people just saying to get a V8 when I don't want a V8

going through these forums there's a lot of people throughout the years that have asked for help doing various things and they get a lot of unhelpful advice about just buying a different car. not everybody wants to buy a different car. I have a different car. I want to make THIS car better.

if I find a decent supercharger sometime I might put that into but I also want to do other things

and this one is a pretty simple question. does the predator tune work in open loop mode or does it only work at wide open throttle?

I have a new sensor ordered in the mail but Christmas season things take longer

in the meantime I want to know because honestly if being an open loop mode makes the performance better or improves gas mileage I might just deactivate the o2 sensors
The tune changes all parameters throughout the pedal position, not just at WOT. You will feel the changes even at part throttle. We've told you that already.

We've also told you adding horsepower is not going to give you better MPG, it's just evidently not what you wanted to hear.

· Registered
4,001 Posts
The tune changes all parameters throughout the pedal position, not just at WOT.
How noticeable these changes are throughout the RPM range depends on the tune and the engine. If you install one of the preloaded (aka canned) tunes the biggest difference may only be noticeable at WOT; except for throttle response, shift firmness, etc... adjustments. A good custom tune will be noticeable throughout the RPM range but the engine's power curve will determine when the changes are most noticeable.
if a part of the o2 sensor isn't working it would be stuck in open loop mode
It isn't the O2 sensor that determines Open Loop / Closed Loop ... it's the PCM. During Open Loop the PCM does not use the input signal from the O2 sensors ... so the O2 sensor is ignored.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How noticeable these changes are throughout the RPM range depends on the tune and the engine. If you install one of the preloaded (aka canned) tunes the biggest difference may only be noticeable at WOT; except for throttle response, shift firmness, etc... adjustments. A good custom tune will be noticeable throughout the RPM range but the engine's power curve will determine when the changes are most noticeable.

It isn't the O2 sensor that determines Open Loop / Closed Loop ... it's the PCM. During Open Loop the PCM does not use the input signal from the O2 sensors ... so the O2 sensor is ignored.
yes but obviously it's a fail safe that if the o2 sensor isn't working for some reason it's going to default itself to open loop mode until it's fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts