Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can imagine my disappointment when, after waiting patiently for my Predator to arrive and trying to use it, I find out that Diablo does not support the Police Charger. According to John C at Diablo, he was told it was for "liability reasons". I can't for the life of me see how Diablo could be held liable for anything we do VOLUNTARILY to our vehicles. I guess it's like suing McDonald's for being fat!

Kudos to Tom over at TBYRNE who is talking with the "higher ups" to see what gives. :yes:

Here's the real kicker. Joe Gearhead can use the Predator to make his car be illegally fast, but a cop, who has a legitimate need to go fast, can't use the Predator. Seems like the liability is in NOT allowing us to use the Pred. Diablo is giving an unfair advantage to the competition.

Are there any other members out there who will chime in to support the cops who want "zoom zoom" in their cars? And for those of you who dislike cops because you got a ticket, one question: Did you ever get a ticket while driving your Charger from a cop who was driving a Charger?

Hate the Impala, Crown Vic, etc cops, not the Charger cops!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would think if you are talking about a department vehicle, then John at Diablo might have a valid point about liability. Due to things like policy or whatever. It could be in a contact that you are not allowed to change the stock settings. Diablo wouldn't want cops to start modifying their dept. cars, have something go wrong, then the police dept. tries to hold Diablo responsible. Hence why they would not make a tuner even for guys who have a personal police package Charger.

·
Registered
546 Posts
lots of liability for a town or city having a car doing 175 mph and hit a bus load of orphaned children.

many cities have a top speed cap on their vehicles. plus the charger rt stock outperforms the crown vic in so many areas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No hot-rod police cars

I would think if you are talking about a department vehicle, then John at Diablo might have a valid point about liability. Due to things like policy or whatever. It could be in a contact that you are not allowed to change the stock settings. Diablo wouldn't want cops to start modifying their dept. cars, have something go wrong, then the police dept. tries to hold Diablo responsible. Hence why they would not make a tuner even for guys who have a personal police package Charger.
You are on the right track... A police agency's fleet manager would go through the roof if guys out in the field starting trying to soup up their patrol cars. The liability would be to the agency that allowed it. It would work something like this - "Gearhead Cop" soups up his police car and then wraps it and himself around a utility pole and takes himself eternally out of service... then agency (going through the wreckage) finds out that "GC" hot-rodded his ride in violation of dept. policy and then all manner of red flags start popping up concerning the recently widowed Mrs. Grearhead getting her hubby's checks... etc.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
You can imagine my disappointment when, after waiting patiently for my Predator to arrive and trying to use it, I find out that Diablo does not support the Police Charger. According to John C at Diablo, he was told it was for "liability reasons". I can't for the life of me see how Diablo could be held liable for anything we do VOLUNTARILY to our vehicles. I guess it's like suing McDonald's for being fat!

Kudos to Tom over at TBYRNE who is talking with the "higher ups" to see what gives. :yes:

Here's the real kicker. Joe Gearhead can use the Predator to make his car be illegally fast, but a cop, who has a legitimate need to go fast, can't use the Predator. Seems like the liability is in NOT allowing us to use the Pred. Diablo is giving an unfair advantage to the competition.

Are there any other members out there who will chime in to support the cops who want "zoom zoom" in their cars? And for those of you who dislike cops because you got a ticket, one question: Did you ever get a ticket while driving your Charger from a cop who was driving a Charger?

Isn't the police package already uncapped for maximum speed? If not, shame on Chrysler. It's probably an issue with fleet sales and that officer does not "own" that particular vehicle.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You are on the right track... A police agency's fleet manager would go through the roof if guys out in the field starting trying to soup up their patrol cars. The liability would be to the agency that allowed it. It would work something like this - "Gearhead Cop" soups up his police car and then wraps it and himself around a utility pole and takes himself eternally out of service... then agency (going through the wreckage) finds out that "GC" hot-rodded his ride in violation of dept. policy and then all manner of red flags start popping up concerning the recently widowed Mrs. Grearhead getting her hubby's checks... etc.
Yep. That's the point I was trying to make. LOL

Besides, if the bad guy has a faster car, isn't that why radios and spike strips were created?

·
Registered
498 Posts
ROTFL!
I cannot disagree with your logic. :)
The only reasons that I can think of is that if something happens to the car, driver, or nearby orphans at high-speed while using the tuner is that the average person would be automatically at fault for going that fast, while a cop has a legitimate reason and so is not necessarily at fault... Maybe?
I'd guess it's probably more likely that they just haven't put in the development time for a smaller market.
I seem to recall that the police package doesn't have the 145 mph limit anyway, but I could be wrong...

Are the modifications in your sig for the car you use for work?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ROTFL!
I cannot disagree with your logic. :)
The only reasons that I can think of is that if something happens to the car, driver, or nearby orphans at high-speed while using the tuner is that the average person would be automatically at fault for going that fast, while a cop has a legitimate reason and so is not necessarily at fault... Maybe?
I'd guess it's probably more likely that they just haven't put in the development time for a smaller market.
I seem to recall that the police package doesn't have the 145 mph limit anyway, but I could be wrong...

Are the modifications in your sig for the car you use for work?
The Police Package HAS the 145 limit.

Concerning various liability issues.

If an officer is operating outside the departments PGO or SOP, then the Department is absolved of ANY liability. Only when an officer is acting in good faith in accordance with department policy can the department bear any liability.

In all states that I know of, if a cop is driving at any speed higher than the posted speed limit, he MUST have his emergency lights and siren activated. EVEN THEN, if he busts a red light, he must yield to traffic that would normally have the right of way. Lights and siren do not absolve you of your responsibility to protect life. You just can't drive like an idiot because you have lights and siren on. Incidentally, more officers are killed and injured in traffic accidents than by any other job related task.

So in reality, I could be driving a Ferrari and as long as I'm following department policy and state law; the liability issue is moot. If I drive recklessly and slam into a school bus, the department is free from liability because I am operating the vehicle outside policy and the law.

So back to my original point, I see no liability for Diablo whatsoever. And if an officer does anything outside department policy or the law, it's the officers butt, not the departments.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ROTFL!
Not only do you have 1000's of police chargers out there, soon, you'll have the "retired" cars out there as well.

The mods in my sig ARE for my patrol car. It's a "concept/show" car we are using as a PR tool. We'll soon have nitrous, lambo doors, 22"s, ground effects, custom paint and more...will post pix as we get further on in the project

·
Registered
702 Posts
And for those of you who dislike cops because you got a ticket, one question: Did you ever get a ticket while driving your Charger from a cop who was driving a Charger?

ROFL. For that quote, I vote they give the poor guy anything he wants for having Charger-to-Charger love! :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the agency has a written policy prohibiting the modification of squads, then "GC" has operated outside policy and is basically screwed (or his widow). Granted, it's not a good thing for his widow, but she shouldn't have married such a sh*tty driver in the first place. :grin:

So I still don't see how this makes Diablo any more liable than it would be if Joe Lunchbucket installs mods and kills his dumbass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ROFL. For that quote, I vote they give the poor guy anything he wants for having Charger-to-Charger love! :lol:
Please find enclosed one "Get Out of Ticket Free" card.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The Police Package HAS the 145 limit.
yeah but why would you need to go 145? isnt that why officers have radios? and why there are helicopters?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If the agency has a written policy prohibiting the modification of squads, then "GC" has operated outside policy and is basically screwed (or his widow). Granted, it's not a good thing for his widow, but she shouldn't have married such a sh*tty driver in the first place. :grin:

So I still don't see how this makes Diablo any more liable than it would be if Joe Lunchbucket installs mods and kills his dumbass.
wow i dont know why i found this funny that logic is disturbing on so many levels:lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah but why would you need to go 145? isnt that why officers have radios? and why there are helicopters?
To catch guys going 150 of course!

Actually, I don't really want the car faster, I just want it quicker....

·
Registered
498 Posts
So back to my original point, I see no liability for Diablo whatsoever. And if an officer does anything outside department policy or the law, it's the officers butt, not the departments.
I was actually thinking more of an accident where equipment failure at high speed (or other extreme conditions enabled by the tuner) is cited as a contributing factor, with no obvious fault of the officer who, unlike a civillian, presumably had a legitimate reason for going that fast. Then the manufacturer might claim that it never would have happened without the predator...

However, you've made me laugh at least twice during this thread, so predators for police-package-chargers definitely gets my vote!
I love the "she shouldn't have married such a sh*tty driver in the first place" quote. :)

I look forward to the mod pictures!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
wait a min so yo have the led tail lights and projecters on your squad car?

LOL AWESOME lets get some pics !! look at his mods already guys lol I say you should be able to use the tuner it only levels the playing field

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a Police Charger - with a Hemi - and I'm not a cop. Ed @ Southern Hotrod and I tried the predator on my car. My pcm needs a recalabration that won't take because of software issues??? and calabration issues? but Diablo is working on it.
Check my out " cop" car on this forum - newby check in under - Pursuit Charger plain white wrapper.

I want a predator too.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts