Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You prolly have these cables sitting in your home or office.

The power supply is such a common thing you can find them all over you're house. I have one on my hard drive and battery charger. I'm sure there are more those are the first two things I looked at. So i have my power.

I have a few drawers full of cords for computers, stereos, and electronics in general. After poking around in there for a bit I found a brand new VGA cord that will fit. So I'm set there.

Just finished doing the updater and now I'm good to go.

The VGA computer cable I found is a simple no name thing. It's something I'm sure you can get at any computer type store for dirt cheap. Also check with your IT dept. The cables that you plug into the back of a PC are not used as much anymore and they may have some to let go or at least borrow.

Save your money and look around.

Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mods please move to mod/perf section if you feel necessary...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thanks for the heads up - i wanted to go buy the cables before it got here - now I can start diggin in the cable box! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
BY the way...that computer cord is called a VGA cord.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
you would think they would upgrade to a USB cable...i guess the VGA does something more than a USB would be able to do....i guess!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yeah man...my second job is working on campus for the Media Services department...we use these all the time to sync laptops to projectors and stuff like that...the really long ones can get pricey...Here's to spending more money, cheers!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
you would think they would upgrade to a USB cable...i guess the VGA does something more than a USB would be able to do....i guess!!
You can get ones that are USB. It seems the "plug into the back" VGAs (or whatever it is) are more common and therefore cheaper. If I do buy one I'll hunt for a USB.

·
Registered
453 Posts
VGA is for video isn't it? I thought the cable in the pic was a serial cable like they used to use for external modems etc., only it's db9 to db9.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VGA is for video isn't it? I thought the cable in the pic was a serial cable like they used to use for external modems etc., only it's db9 to db9.
I have no idea, but the cable you see worked for me...

·
Registered
968 Posts
BY the way...that computer cord is called a VGA cord.
It can also commonly known as a 15-pin serial cable... but yeah, knowadays people probably know them as the "old computer monitor" connectors.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Oh, yeah it is... it's a 9-pin connector.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Some more guidance on power supplies.
I don't have the Diablo yet so I can't speak in specifics:

Power supplies (walwarts) come in 2 flavors, AC and DC. The wrong type can fry the accessory it is plugged into.
Voltage of the walwart should match the accessory, 4.5v, 9v, 6v etc.
The mA rating can exceed the accessory (it will only use what it needs) but should not be below what the device requires.
The polarity of the plug should be checked. Generally the center pin is positive. This is usually on the plug as a diagram + center, - outer.

Most of the time the above info is on the power supply and usually the device to be powered.

There are some wierd powered supplies out there. Take a moment and look before plugging it in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some more guidance on power supplies.
I don't have the Diablo yet so I can't speak in specifics:

Power supplies (walwarts) come in 2 flavors, AC and DC. The wrong type can fry the accessory it is plugged into.
Voltage of the walwart should match the accessory, 4.5v, 9v, 6v etc.
The mA rating can exceed the accessory (it will only use what it needs) but should not be below what the device requires.
The polarity of the plug should be checked. Generally the center pin is positive. This is usually on the plug as a diagram + center, - outer.

Most of the time the above info is on the power supply and usually the device to be powered.

There are some wierd powered supplies out there. Take a moment and look before plugging it in.

Oh good info!

I didn't check it before I plugged it in. I got lucky and was within the correct voltage... Check the voltage before you plug!

·
Registered
502 Posts
A VGA cable has three rows of pins (15 pins) a serial cable which is about the same size connector has only two rows (9 pins).

As far as the mA rating on your power supply it is not entirely true that the device will only use the correct amount of mA. These are very basic power supplys and they often use the device they are powering as part of the circuit. Most will not provide a constant voltage to a variable load. For instance a power supply the delivers 5v at 500ma might provide 7v if the device only draws 100ma or 3v if the device draws 750mA.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Exact one needed I got the info from Diablo sport..I got the poweradapter
from Radio shack..

input 120vac,60Hz,0.3A

Output voltage. 12v dc
Out put current 1500mA (max)

Part # 273-1775..

You can use a seial port cable 9 pin female to a 9 pin male
If you use a usb you will need to download a driver.If you use the cable you do not..

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Taken from the Diablo Sport Downloader instruction sheet.
HARDWARE ITEMS
A serial cable and an AC to DC power adapter must be obtained. DiabloSport offers both of these items in a package that can be purchased through any authorized DiabloSport dealer. The part number for this item is U7777. Alternatively, these items can be purchased locally from any Radio Shack or similar electronics retailer. The descriptions, part numbers and recommended source for these items are presented below.

1) Serial Cable:
- For PC’s with DB-9 serial communications port(s):
A standard, RS-232C, straight through, DB-9 male to DB-9 female cable is required to connect the PC to the Predator.
Recommended Source: Radio Shack part number: 26-117, 6-ft DB9 male to DB9 female shielded RS-232C cable
- For PC’s with USB ports only:
If the PC only has USB ports available, a USB to RS-232C converter cable is required. This cable will convert a USB port to a serial port to connect to the Predator.
Recommended Source: Radio Shack part number: 26-183, 6-ft USB to Serial Port Adapter Cable

2) Power Adapter:
The Predator requires a 12 Volt, 1 Amp power source to turn it on. An AC to DC power adapter allows the Predator to be turned on when not connected to the vehicle. The Power Adapter’s plug tip is 2.5mm in diameter and 5.5mm in length. The required polarity is center contact is positive and the outer contact is ground.
Recommended Source: Radio Shack part number: 273-1776, 12V/1000mA AC to DC Power Adapter (This item includes a Plug Adapter. Please specify part number: 273-1717 to obtain the correct adapter.
* Note: If the update will be performed with a laptop computer, the vehicle’s OBDII port can be used to substitute for the Power Adapter.

·
Registered
727 Posts
That vga cable is a fossile. My computer doesn't have an input for that(other than monitor), since it's newer. I had to buy the db9 to usb, which I bought for only $7, and it's much more convenient since I have a lot of usb ports in the front of my pc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts