Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gee, the power steering pumps on my gen cars must be pretty weak.

Researching the threads showed several mentions of ps pumps going out after (what I consider) minor periods of exercise (snow stuck, etc.) and now I experienced it, too.

In my case, I was just doing a bit of spirited driving on a twisty mountain road with plenty of space, went through about 6 or 7 turns and BAM, the pump fails mid-corner and I'm left with stiff steering. Kind of an "Oh Crap" moment. All was well because there was plenty room to shave speed off.

I'm not bitter, just disappointed. I have put all my other cars' and Jeeps' steering through much much more rigor both on and offroad, and in open track events with no steering problems before. Disappointing because these are supposed to be high performance sedans. It should be able to hold up to some quick steering action.
My power steering line had failed back at 61,000 miles, and now the pump at 102,000. Every car model has a few weak links; guess steering is one for the 06-10 Chargers.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

Researching the threads showed several mentions of ps pumps going out after (what I consider) minor periods of exercise (snow stuck, etc.) and now I experienced it, too.

In my case, I was just doing a bit of spirited driving on a twisty mountain road with plenty of space, went through about 6 or 7 turns and BAM, the pump fails mid-corner and I'm left with stiff steering. Kind of an "Oh Crap" moment. All was well because there was plenty room to shave speed off.

I'm not bitter, just disappointed. I have put all my other cars' and Jeeps' steering through much much more rigor both on and offroad, and in open track events with no steering problems before. Disappointing because these are supposed to be high performance sedans. It should be able to hold up to some quick steering action.
My power steering line had failed back at 61,000 miles, and now the pump at 102,000. Every car model has a few weak links; guess steering is one for the 06-10 Chargers.
Think about that. You have over 100k miles on a 6 year old car and the PS pump failed. How is that a weak link? It sounds more like the rest of the car has exceeded expectations while this one part wore out in a normal time period. Perhaps the longevity of the rest of the vehicle has distorted the perception of the pump failure as being premature or "weak"?

Perspective is everything.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Make that an 8 year old car approaching 9 years old.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duly noted, but on every other car or truck I've owned, the power steering was a complete no maintenance/no fuss/use it for 10 years+/100k + system.

Just not used to it being a problem at all.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Took ya long enough. ;)

I blew the PS pump on my '07 Charger after about a year of ownership.

Of course, doing autocross and track days with it were somewhat out of it's design spec... :shifty:

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts

While it faired ok for the year, one of the dumb things that Chrysler did is use ATF+4 in these steering systems. Remember that ATF+4 is transmission fluid and contains friction modifiers in it. Like adding sand to the system....while exaggerated....still true.

When we make the steering system fluid, we give it all the MS-9602 specs but don't add any friction modifier to it while adding the QB steering system lubricant catalyst to it. No more whining or straining. Then you can go as hard as you want and no issues. :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts