Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day driving along my power steering hose blew. Only 3,000 miles. The engine compartment looked like some thing had been killed on the engine, power steering fluid all over the place. The hose had blown off completly. I'm having it towed into the dealership tomorrow.

Anybody else had any power steering related issues?

Also getting the sun roof rattle and driver side power window fixed (some times the auto up works some time it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Most cases I've heard about where "burnout" related and had to do with
the pump. This is the 1st hose (I've) heard about.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I had my P/S hose replaces twice in four months because it was leaking at the upper crimp sleeve (next to the pump). Third time's the charm - no leaks for over a year. Where did your's separate? Make sure they clean the engine compartment good and replace anything that cannot be cleaned (i.e. the hood insulation pad).

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Well, now I've heard of one, or should I say 2.:grin:

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
i had one explode on me in my suburban after i installed new p/s maby it was just a clog thats what caused mine. nut the dealer wil fix it an make sure to throw a lil dissatisfied customer their way get a few free oil changes outa it

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
The auto up feature on the window is usually operator error. Close the window, and hold the switch in the down position even after the window is fully down for several seconds. Then raise the window holwding the switch in up for several seconds after it is up. It will reprogram for want of a better word.
On the hose, total fluke.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back from the dealership

Well they found out what happened. Apparently the power steering hose was rubbing on the A/C pully and wore a hole thru the hose.

However, after they replaced the hose and fluids... now when driving when turning the car dives into the turn NOT how it was performing before.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Well they found out what happened. Apparently the power steering hose was rubbing on the A/C pully and wore a hole thru the hose.

However, after they replaced the hose and fluids... now when driving when turning the car dives into the turn NOT how it was performing before.
Hmmm... unless they replace some mechanical component of your steering gear (other than the PS hose), I can't imagine why your suspension/handling should change. :smoke:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Most cases I've heard about where "burnout" related and had to do with
the pump. This is the 1st hose (I've) heard about.
Can you please point me in the direction of some of these stories? I tried running a search and came up unsuccessful. I wasnt doing a burnout when this happened..... I was doing a donut. :D First time Ive ever done one in any car Ive owned. Hell, I dont even do burnouts that much period. I was real disappointed when I found out what this was, makes me scared to drive her hard anymore at all. And mine wasnt just the hose either, they said they are replacing the whole pump.

-Pat

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Can you please point me in the direction of some of these stories? I tried running a search and came up unsuccessful. I wasnt doing a burnout when this happened..... I was doing a donut. :D First time Ive ever done one in any car Ive owned. Hell, I dont even do burnouts that much period. I was real disappointed when I found out what this was, makes me scared to drive her hard anymore at all. And mine wasnt just the hose either, they said they are replacing the whole pump.

-Pat
Having the steering wheel cranked all the way in one direction (doing donuts) at high RPM's is what lunched the P/S pump. Once the steering rack locks, the system pressure skyrockets and stresses the pump and hoses. That is what makes the whining noise when you are idling and turn the wheels to the lock point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My PS pump was just replaced from me doing burnouts in the snow and got sprayed on the engine...Now its still leaking a bit need to take it in again. 37,000km

·
Registered
5 Posts
:knockout: Mine PS pump was just replaced also
burnouts in the snow did it...ws fixed now is still leaking a bit need to take it in again

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Can you please point me in the direction of some of these stories? I tried running a search and came up unsuccessful.
-Pat
No real specific threads I can think of, mostly "me too's"

One guy ( to remain nameless since he got the dealership
to fix under warranty) burned his up last year at the track event
after the spring festival. But it was like a 3 minute burnout with
enough smoke to hide an airplane hanger.......:lol:

·
Registered
377 Posts
My 03 ram must have hit a rock or something, I smelled something cooking up front, and there was PS fluid all over the bottom of the truck. The return (Low side) hose looked like an axe had whacked it. It was Friday, of course, so I had to borrow a neighbor's car for the weekend, and then waste an entire bottle of PS fluid driving it to the dealer. Cheaper than a tow. Kind of lucky it happened, the bottom radiator hose was ready to blow too, it had a slice in it, probably hit by the same thing that whacked the PS hose. The dealer had it fixed in about an hour, and they washed the truck twice to get the stuff off the bottom.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
my ps pump line is touching the air conditioner line too..i dont want it to rub a hole in it..what can i do to prevent it?
Show it to the dealer and get them to reposition the hose before it causes a problem.

·
Registered
289 Posts
well...i now have the "high pressure suppy line to the steering rack metal to rubber crimp leak" found it after checking everything out in engine compartment...last oil change..mechanic said i was low on steering fluid..he added some...steering was a little sloppy...so i checked it out...TA DA!!!
having it changed out tommorow morning....GODDAMN CHRYSTLER! DON'T YOU TEST THIS SH_T OUT BEFORE YOU PRODUCE AND SELL SOMETHING!

sorry about the flaming...i do feel better! :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
PS Pump blew doing a 180 burnout to park like a pro.. wasn't so pro when the damned thing wouldn't steer afterwards. They fixed it and replaced hoses that got covered in ps fluid, because they would 'Swell' They didn't align the damned wheels afterwards though, and I've noticed that my steering wheel is pointing to almost 15° off now :(

·
Registered
289 Posts
well got it fixed....is there a TSB on this problem?...obviously the pump nor the line can handle the pressure from the engine during WOT.... they should have used a heavy duty pump like RAM trucks have in them....did anybody get a hard time having the dealer replace the pump or line under warrenty?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts