Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason for the power steering fluid to be in at the "ADD" marker so soon. I have not seen a leak. Another question is in the manual it looks like replacement fluid is both Mopar Power Steering Fluid and Mopar Transmission Fluid. Is this true?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Is there any reason for the power steering fluid to be in at the "ADD" marker so soon. I have not seen a leak. Another question is in the manual it looks like replacement fluid is both Mopar Power Steering Fluid and Mopar Transmission Fluid. Is this true?
I had the same problem with my Charger. Turned out that it was weeping/seeping (a leak that is so slow it doesn't drip) at the power steering rack.

Every oil change when I was under the car I would wipe down the PS rack to take all the accumulated oil/dirt of it, and sure enough when I would check it again at the next oil all that oil/dirt was back. It took a few oil changes to confirm my suspicions.

I got it replaced under warranty at 13,000 miles

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem with my Charger. Turned out that it was weeping/seeping (a leak that is so slow it doesn't drip) at the power steering rack.

Every oil change when I was under the car I would wipe down the PS rack to take all the accumulated oil/dirt of it, and sure enough when I would check it again at the next oil all that oil/dirt was back. It took a few oil changes to confirm my suspicions.

I got it replaced under warranty at 13,000 miles

Great, and I am all out of warranty. What did they do exactly?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
yes sir! you can use either. i had the same problem with mine/no leaks but i would go threw sterring fluid every couple of months. as soon as it got to about 10.000 miles it stoped doing it. i cant figure it out. there was no fluid. the only thing i can think of is MAYBE they have a lite break in oil in it from the factory. the first 10.000 miles on my car it needed fluid 3 times and now the last 6000 it hasnt needed any. i dont get it!

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Both power steering and transmission "liquids" are FLUIDS, not oils...so, while you can throw Tranny fluid in your PS reservoir, you CAN'T put PS fluid in your tranny. Very important to not do that unless you want to spend several thousand dollars.:grin:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Great, and I am all out of warranty. What did they do exactly?
They replaced the whole damn thing. Power steering rack, inner tie rods, and aligned the front wheels.

Some guys have had this problem and I believe the have said that it cost them about $1000, but don't quote me on that.

Before you get all worried though, refill it and see if it continues to lower itself.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They replaced the whole damn thing. Power steering rack, inner tie rods, and aligned the front wheels.

Some guys have had this problem and I believe the have said that it cost them about $1000, but don't quote me on that.

Before you get all worried though, refill it and see if it continues to lower itself.
I was gonna take baby steps on this one. I got a 100K extended so it won't cost no more than $100. Thanks though

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I was gonna take baby steps on this one. I got a 100K extended so it won't cost no more than $100. Thanks though
Wait, I just thought you said you were out of warranty?

I'm confused :knockout:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait, I just thought you said you were out of warranty?

I'm confused :knockout:

Out of the basic 36K. If it was like a 5 min fix I would just do it myself. It's the fact I'll lose a few hrs out of the day and be out $100

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Out of the basic 36K. If it was like a 5 min fix I would just do it myself. It's the fact I'll lose a few hrs out of the day and be out $100
Gotcha :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts