Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2012 police package Charger 5.7 blows the power steering fuse. only at a sharp turn. have checked wiring and all is ok. fluid was low and replaced the fluid with the recommended type. thought it was fixed but still blowing the fuse. any suggestions? Bad pump? or bad rack?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
When you replaced the fluid did you purge the air from the power steering system?
There are several DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) for the Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) system. Plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car OBD2 port and see if any pending/active DTCs are logged, There are also some Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) and software updates for the EHPS system. You can contact your FCA dealership to see if any of these updates apply to your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fluid was low not completely out. I have not hooked a reader up to it yet due to the check engine light not being on and no messages in the heads up display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The fluid was low not completely out. I have not hooked a reader up to it yet due to the check engine light not being on and no messages in the heads up display.
hello
can i please know if u finally came to a solution
and if can you please tell me how
im running in the same problem and i changed the power pump and still have the same problem
ty

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Do you have the wiring diagrams for the system? Have you measued the idle amp draw on the circuit? You say you checked the wiring, but did you check all the gounds? Did you check for any corrosion inside connectors?

Are there any other items running off that fuse? Being a police car, somone may have tapped in somwhere using some of the circuit capacity.
So disconnect everyting on that circuit that should be there, and see if ther is still amp draw.

Does the sound of the pump change anywhere in the rack travel?

Mechanically, is ther any binding in the steering, bent components? Jack up the front end, see if you can move the wheels lock to lock with the same resistance. (by hand)

A couple things to check, hope you find the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2013 Charger RT, RWD, 101,300 miles. Having the same issue as ChargerHemi88. Whenever I turned the steering wheel all the way, my power steering fuse would blow. Couldn’t find any ground issues or other electrical problems. I recently reached over 100,000 miles so I got a special warranty from mopar (900$ a year, but if anything breaks they will fix it, for the most part that is). Mopar suggested replacing the whole power steering pump. Getting the pump on Friday will let you guys know if that resolves the issue. Not sure if this will help anyone but maybe this could save someone some trips to the mechanic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2013 Charger RT, RWD, 101,300 miles. Having the same issue as ChargerHemi88. Whenever I turned the steering wheel all the way, my power steering fuse would blow. Couldn’t find any ground issues or other electrical problems. I recently reached over 100,000 miles so I got a special warranty from mopar (900$ a year, but if anything breaks they will fix it, for the most part that is). Mopar suggested replacing the whole power steering pump. Getting the pump on Friday will let you guys know if that resolves the issue. Not sure if this will help anyone but maybe this could save someone some trips to the mechanic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts