Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know I have been reading how people are please with the different tuners that have been purchased for things like raised shift points and better / harder shifts. I was in my truck and I never really haul anything, but I have pushed the little "tow" button on the shifter. What it does is make the truck hold a gear longer giving you that torque feeling. I also had a Mitsubishi Eclispe in '90. That was an automatic with a "power/econ" button. What that did was allow the car to raise the shift point under WOT. These are most likely not the correct numbers, but an example. Econ would shift @5500RPMS and when depressed to "Power" it would allow the engine to wind up to about 6200RPMS. What would the feeling be about adding a feature like this to our cars. I am speaking of a factory feature not a mod.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i see it like this. Domestic manufactures are picker and picker about taking things from us like this as to preserve their parts during warranty.
example , your power/econ button would change shift points in the charger.
a. The tranny would take more wear shifting gears at higher rpms than it does at low rpms.
b.also specific strategies have to be met on can enabled cars. Shift points are not determined solely by foot on throttle anymore. Shift points are determined by other factors such as tranny fluid temp, engine temp, throttle, and i'm sure theres more.

We can t even open our trunks anymore without the car being engaged in park.

With as many parameters being measured by the pcm as there are on CAN cars i doubt things like these will be seen any dodge/ ford vehicles. (i'm not a chevy guy so i dont know jack about what the programming is)

So many things are done to preserve parts now. Hemis' run hot for emissions and to ease the load on the converters. Converters can swell if not hot enough cause they have to do more to carry out their job. That could also lead to more failures and therefore one of the two reasons our cars run hot stock.

There are tons of these scenarios we could use on our car. Like why we dont have control over mds activation

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My '99 Pontiac Gran Prix had the econ/performance button that did exactly that -- changed the **** points. I didn't use it much. I pretty much always kept it in the performance position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts