Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*Update*
I used some lucas fuel system cleaner in the tank at full up, had no issues til around 1/4 tank. I was pulling from a stop and when it hit 20I could not accelerate any more. I pulled to a side street and it started working fine again. I filled up again adding the lucas one more time, it has done the same thing 3 more times. It will cut power and start going fine again after about 10 second.

I am wondering if it is the carbon build-up breaking loose. Any other ideas?

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
I used some lucas fuel system cleaner in the tank at full up, had no issues til around 1/4 tank. I was pulling from a stop and when it hit 20I could not accelerate any more. I pulled to a side street and it started working fine again. I filled up again adding the lucas one more time, it has done the same thing 3 more times. It will cut power and start going fine again after about 10 second.

Yeah, stop putting that crap in your tank. You didn't have any issue before you used it and then when you did after using it, you added more resulting in more frequent issues.

See a trend here?

Cause=effect.

Clear that stuff out and run straight fuel and watch the issue correct itself.

· Read Only
7,055 Posts

Hmm. Since you never had the issue until you started using the lucas stuff, I'd highly advise to STOP adding it. I'm sure @370 HEMI can chime in with more details on how all that stuff works.

More info might help as well. What's your car's year/trim/etc?

· Registered
7,376 Posts
Over the many, many years I've been involved with autos, I never knew anyone who had anything good come of using any Lucas product.

For that matter, most of the gunk/"motor honey" the auto stores try to sell you is garbage.

· Vendor
10,500 Posts

Lucas contains petroleum distillates (petroleum waste left over from refining) mixed with a cheap compound that is called poly-isobutylene. It burns to a gummy residue in the engine and also in the injectors.

What you want is to stop using the Lucas and get some ACES IV in the fuel. It is not a polymer, or petroleum distillate, alcohol or metal compound but rather a unique product that gives you detergency to keep things clean, ignition improving to produce more HP and Torque, and real lubricity created as a reaction to heat.

We have treated many thousands of vehicles with everyone enjoying the difference. You use 1 oz per 6 gallons. With the problem you are having, I would suggest ACES IV-FIC to get things cleaned out for real and the lubricity in the cylinders.

Much better performance without a problem like you are having now!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

· Vendor
10,500 Posts
Over the many, many years I've been involved with autos, I never knew anyone who had anything good come of using any Lucas product.

For that matter, most of the gunk/"motor honey" the auto stores try to sell you is garbage.
Krautmaster,

You are completely correct. Every additive says Caution: contains petroleum distillates. Also they can contain polymers, alcohols and metals too!

The Lucas Heavy Duty Stabilizer was evaluated by Exxon/Mobil.

I have a copy you will want to see:

Again more poly-isobutylene and bright stock. They are doing now what STP did 40 years ago. People buy it because it is cheap but not good for anything you put it in!;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

· Vendor
10,500 Posts
Speaking of STP..what's your take on this?

Well, STP stands for "Scientifically Treated Petroleum"

That is your first clue, but here is the MSDS on it:

Solvent Naptha (petroleum) Light Aromatic 60% - Dry cleaning fluids. Drys out seals and attacks injectors!

Alkylphenol Polyoxyalkyl Alkylamine 55% - Anything with an "ol" is an alcohol. This is a surfactant product that is an alcohol related soap that is supposed to clean. Remember that when you burn an amine you get more gum and varnish!

Hydrosulfurized Kerosine 50% - thin cheap K1 kerosine.

While I know you can't add 60% + 55% + 50%, I put that there as they will vary those amounts. If I had to guess, it would be in order of cost. So 40% Kerosine, 30% Naptha and 20% Alkylamine with the rest comprising 10%.

So far you are trying to make your car run like a 2 stroke engine...adding oil and soap to your gasoline. These reduce or dilute the octane value and BTU release you would get from your fuels.

The rest are simple toluene and toluene compounds and low grade kerosine.

This is a waste of money producing nothing but a lighter wallet. No power, dirtier engine oil, low temperature burn up and not much cleaning.

If you really want a fuel system cleaner get some ACES IV-FIC. It contains much more detergency than the regular ACES IV but still has the ignition improver, lubricity compounds and anti-corrosion agents with anti-oxidants in it.

Here is the thing. It is $4.97 at our local Walmart. $4.97 x 1.0675 tax =$5.30 for up to 21 gallons. That is 25.2 cents per gallon.

ACES IV-FIC is $68.60 and does 200 gallons. That makes it 34.3 cents per gallon but really cleans safely while producing more power, torque, BTU release and lubricity.

Granted, you only need it for 3 to 4 tanks and then you should be able to switch to regular ACES IV for a maintaining of cleanliness. However, most people continue with the whole FIC bottle and then go with ACES IV regular EFI Version.

When you buy it in the gallon form you get it to 31 cents per gallon regular use.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

· Vendor
10,500 Posts
Where would you buy the ACES from?
From us as we are the manufacturers of the technology.:bigthumb:

BND Automotive LLC - 440-821-9040. Just give us a call.

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a LOT of googling on this issue and found more info. Someone with near identical issue said a Chrysler tech was called in to look at his and determined that it was the battery. After replacing it They had no more issues. Glad my dad works for interstate batteries, got a good deal on one.

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
I did a LOT of googling on this issue and found more info. Someone with near identical issue said a Chrysler tech was called in to look at his and determined that it was the battery. After replacing it They had no more issues. Glad my dad works for interstate batteries, got a good deal on one.
So did you replace the battery and it fixed it?

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
I replaced the battery, the issue was random so it will take a few days to determine if it was resolved. Will update early next week if it is fixed.
Thanks, please keep us updated. I'm sure folks will want to know. :beerchug:

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the problem happened twice more last week after my wife filled up at chevron and drove 90 miles. I used up the fuel and filled with shell, drove 400 miles and still has not happened again. Will update more with any future changes.

· Vendor
10,500 Posts
So the problem happened twice more last week after my wife filled up at chevron and drove 90 miles. I used up the fuel and filled with shell, drove 400 miles and still has not happened again. Will update more with any future changes.
Are you using the ACES IV?;)

LMK

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.