Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my wheels powder coated asap, but local shops are telling me they cant do 2 tone PC. I want a black lip and a white face and they are saying that they will need to have them PC all black and then paint the face white.

And then some are saying that you can sandblast the chrome off and then others say you cant.

Not sure what to think right now ...

Now a $400 is turning into a $900+ job

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
You would have to paint the lip i think. Unless its like a 2piece or more forged wheel so you can take it apart and powdercoat them in separate pieces.

·
Registered
871 Posts
They are just being lazy. You can powdercoat two different colors. Either that or they have no experience doing it. Oh and they dont need to strip the chrome off either.

We did this one white face red lip all powder

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are just being lazy. You can powdercoat two different colors. Either that or they have no experience doing it. Oh and they dont need to strip the chrome off either.

Yea I am going to keep calling around. Those wheels are pretty much how I want mine except with a black lip, but lol nice trailer.

However, I've heard from several people that the MOZ chrome sucks and it would be best to remove it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well it's up to you but I think it'll be better to leave it. Wheels are normally not completely even under all the chrome. So you may have a lot of waves and pits

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

Do you work for a Powdercoat company in the OC?
If you do could you PM me who did the wheel work for you?
Or contact info for the shop who did the work for you?

Thanks,Jim

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
hahah israel, im the one who told him to get rid of the chrome since him and i have the same wheels, and you know the problems i ran into with chrome. see imaballa, he said the same thing i did about the two tone!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
and i really wish i had taken a picture of the peeling lips from sandblasting. that would show you that sandblasting doesnt take the chrome off

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Sandblasting won't take chrome At least not without a lot of sand blasting. As far as the two tone powdercoating it can be done, just involves more work for the person doing it. I do my own sand blasting and powdercoating for all my parts in my garage.

If it's blue, made of metal, and in my engine bay I powdercoated it

Also did my intake manifold, and two of my stock rims.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
well like i told you (posting this for others to see, who knows who may be interested also)

chemical dechrome: 140
PC one color: 260

total of 400 not including mounting, dismounting, and balancing

like i also said, my PC price went from 65 a rim for one color, to 250 for two because of masking and labor

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
FWIW, I have a total investment of ~$300 into my home powdercoating set up. With all the stuff I've done myself it's saved me money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
yyyyeeeahhhh i hope you told him that too. try and find larger shops that have a lot of larger orders. the place i used did sandblasting and powdercoating....they did a ton of sandblasting for brake rotors, and powdercoat for things like skateboard truck manufacturers and other mass quantity items. i think that ended up helping me because all their work had them open 24 hours a day

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got another quote ...

He quoted me $135 a wheel for the 2 tone powder coat.

He said he would sandblast them and hand sand them down to a very nice and smooth finish.

He said during sandblasting, if the chrome was chipping or not holding up then the chrome would then need to be stripped.

He also said he would prime them, lay down the white, semi bake them, pull it out, mask the rims off, and shoot the black, then re-bake them, and then lay some clear down.

He seemed very knowledgable about the process and was a very nice guy.

However, the sandblasting is against what bugsy believes, and bugsy would know what to do sense we have the same wheels.

Not sure what to do?

$135 seems like a nice price.

THe total for the whole job would be $135 x 4 but he said the turn around time would be a couple weeks sense he is busy :(

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
haha hey thanks for the kind words, but dont make me out to be an expert on this subject lol...i just know what im saying because like you said..same rims.

if i were you, i think i would go with that guy and his price. my cost per wheel was 65 bucks, plus chemical stripping...100 a wheel said and done.

his price of 135 a wheel basically breaks down to him doing the same process twice (using my prices, thats 65 x 2 a wheel, coming to 130 a wheel). if you add the labor of masking on all four wheels, and hand sanding on TOP of sandblasting, youre only throwing in an extra 20 bucks for all four rims.

just keep in mind, that the probability of you having to pick the wheels up and find a chemical stripping/chome place is VERY HIGH with these rims. before you even start to take the rims off your car, find a place that will do it, and for how much and how long it will take (remember like i told you via PM that some places only do rims in large quantities, and may take up to three weeks to get them done for that reason).

so keep in mind that MINIMUM youre gonna pay 550 for powdercoat, and possibly well over 700 depending on how cheap you get chemical stripping done, if needed.

just look at the big picture price wise, cover your bases, and if you can pull it off, definitely go with this guy id say. dont hesitate to ask to see some samples he's done too. im sure he has some small items on display at the front desk or laying around in the shop.

good luck man those will look sweet! and by the way...are you going to go with an ALL white faces, or do the indents between the spokes black too?? personally id do the whole face white...the indents will help to give the white some break up

edit: didnt see the part about the time....i was quoted a week, but it took closer to two, not including the chemical stripping. two weeks isnt bad at all...i went by the shop a few times and they always were doing something with my rims. he'll have to take them out after each baking period, inspect, and do some light sanding and respraying. just expect those kind of small displays

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hehe ... I was just thinking too that I have a spare dinner roll in storeage. It was one that curb rashed goin like 45mph. I was thinking maybe I can drop it off to him and test the sandblasting out to see if it's going to work or not.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
you could, but each rim is different. no way to tell how low the low spots are in the chrome without just going for it on them

remember one of mine was perfect, and the second was halfway perfect, and the other side a trainwreck

1 - 20 of 37 Posts