Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I landed a new set of wheels that I'm gonna have powder coated. I was talking to a guy that does powder coating today, and I hooked up on some wheels, thinking he would hook me on some powder coating. He said he would charge me 500 bucks to have my OE wheels powdered. Gloss black, at that. Now, immediately I knew this price was outrageous. I asked him why, and he explained to me that it would have to be sandblasted to remove the previous finish, which I had never heard of. Could anyone enlighten me to this?

On a second note, I talked to my body shop and he said he could have them painted for me for like 200 bucks. Color matched to my car. I'm thinking about just having them painted. Seems like powder coating may hold up longer, but the price just doesn't seem right in my area.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
most powder shops will powder a wheel for about 40-50 bucks.. it does get a little more expensive teh more they have to mask off like if you wanted certain parts one color and other parts another color.. they have to use a special high heat masking tape, transparent greenish color stuff at about 15bucks a roll.. however, if you just want your whole shabang powder coated all one color then i say no more than 250 total... heck, my powder guy, even with all the masking he would of had to do becuase i only wanted my lips powdered red, he was only gonna charge me 160 = 40 each, and thats with him masking the entire rim just about, except the lips. he even would of had to mask off the complete inner barrels too... because once you send an electrical charge through them, the powder will stick to everything, then you bake it on.. once done you just remove the high heat masking tape.... the 500bucks he quoted you and he is taking you for a ride... and even if he had to sand blast them, well that should only run you about 20bucks each but i doubt you would need them blasted at all unless they are really rusty..... and granted that 160 price my guy gave me is because he already powder coats a lot of our teams stuff so i ge the hook up, but in all reality i wouldnt pay more than 275-300total

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
PM freebird bro, he has a guy that does all his stuff, maybe he can hook you up with a deal.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Here in Cali Someone was just quoted 25 per wheel. *shrug* I have used this place for years with no issues.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
$65 under 19', $70 for 20' and up around here..

·
Registered
804 Posts
So, I landed a new set of wheels that I'm gonna have powder coated. I was talking to a guy that does powder coating today, and I hooked up on some wheels, thinking he would hook me on some powder coating. He said he would charge me 500 bucks to have my OE wheels powdered. Gloss black, at that. Now, immediately I knew this price was outrageous. I asked him why, and he explained to me that it would have to be sandblasted to remove the previous finish, which I had never heard of. Could anyone enlighten me to this?

On a second note, I talked to my body shop and he said he could have them painted for me for like 200 bucks. Color matched to my car. I'm thinking about just having them painted. Seems like powder coating may hold up longer, but the price just doesn't seem right in my area.
who knows what THAT guy was smoking...but anyways i got my stockers powdercoated for $200, $50 a wheel...now if he told me 500 i would have slapped him...lol its true they have to sandblast the original finish and then apply the powder or whatever im pretty sure thats how it goes...lol but it does last a long time...get it done bro you wont regret it oh but shop around some more...hehe

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
yeah 500 is WAY too much. for my 22s i paid 85 a wheel. F that guy!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
then just ship them out to a reputable coater.. shipping without the tire mounted would only run you like another 80bucks total for all 4... tires have to unmounted anways in order to PC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts