Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I keep seeing stuff online about how great this programmer is... I think it's probably the one I want, but I'm not at all savvy about new tech- I've had two Chargers before: a '71 and a '72. They didn't need a programmer to run fast.

My questions are pretty simple, and they basically boil down to "is this more of a pain in the a$$ than I wanna deal with?"

1) Do I need to plug in a laptop to set this thing up? (dealbreaker right there.)
2) Do I plug it in, flash it, and unplug it, or do I leave it plugged in all the time to tune on the fly?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
1. you dont need a laptop in the car.. but you do need a computer to update the programmer to the latest rom file.

2. you just flash it.. the tuner is not plugged in all the time

its not a pain at all.. i never used a device like this before and it was very easy to use..

just one point to recall is that if you take the car to the dealer for service or any work.. return the car back to stock tune.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dont really think anybody here should just be told these are plug-and-play.If no datalogging is done and a tune is thrown in that is causing a lot of engine knock(as in my case),I would think you would harm the car over time.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have not plugged mine in since I put in the 91 CAI tune. Should I do some data logging to make sure its not creating knock?

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you stick to the canned tunes, you should be ok.

I didn't even have to update mine for my 2009, it came updated already from the place I got it from.

Makes a big difference, the car is a LOT more fun to drive (not that it wasn't before... but still)

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought mine a month ago and am on my 4th tank of gas w/ aces iv and I am still getting bad knock at all tunes and different gas stations.Maybe its just me but from what I have seen -better check for knocking with datalogging immediately after installing these tunes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts