Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day, I go & fill up at a gas station. I turn the car off and fill up. When I'm leaving and Im heading out into traffic, Im noticing that my RPMs are getting higher and higher as Im pressing on the gas, but the car isnt shifting out of first. I try to lay off the gas to bring the RPMs down (and possibly reset the trans.) then I gradually press on the gas again... 3000rpm...4000rpm...5000rpm w/o shifting back down. As soon as possible, I pull over to the side and turn the car off and back on. Luckily that worked and reset the system. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. The first time, I was sitting parked and idling for a lil bit while I was inputing data in the nav unit. When I put the car in D and started going it just wouldnt shift out of 1st gear. Anyone else had this problem or know what could be the possible cause? I have a feeling if I take it to a dealership, they are going to look at me like Im crazy b/c its not something that happens all the time and probably wont happen when I take my car to the shop... Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
yep they will look at you crazy until the tcm sets a code which will then set a code in the pcm and activate the good ol check engine light with a p0700. then you won t be crazy cause there will be proof

·
Registered
348 Posts
So the other day, I go & fill up at a gas station. I turn the car off and fill up. When I'm leaving and Im heading out into traffic, Im noticing that my RPMs are getting higher and higher as Im pressing on the gas, but the car isnt shifting out of first. I try to lay off the gas to bring the RPMs down (and possibly reset the trans.) then I gradually press on the gas again... 3000rpm...4000rpm...5000rpm w/o shifting back down. As soon as possible, I pull over to the side and turn the car off and back on. Luckily that worked and reset the system. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. The first time, I was sitting parked and idling for a lil bit while I was inputing data in the nav unit. When I put the car in D and started going it just wouldnt shift out of 1st gear. Anyone else had this problem or know what could be the possible cause? I have a feeling if I take it to a dealership, they are going to look at me like Im crazy b/c its not something that happens all the time and probably wont happen when I take my car to the shop... Any ideas?

Dude u probably accidently nudged the tiptronic into first gear, it wont shift up unless u manually upshift or change it back to automatic by pushing it right and holding it for a good 2-3 seconds.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Dude u probably accidently nudged the tiptronic into first gear, it wont shift up unless u manually upshift or change it back to automatic by pushing it right and holding it for a good 2-3 seconds.
I have that happen from time to time, when I rest my hand on the shifter.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have had this same ting happen b4 and I threw a code but the delaer said they had no clue what the code was.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If I nudged it into first gear, wouldnt the gear indicator under the spedometer show that I put it in 1st? I've driven with the autostick and it wasnt in that mode. The gear selector indicator box was around the D with no other box indicating what gear I was in so I knew it was in automatic mode.

·
Registered
971 Posts
where do you check these codes?
The dealer checks the codes. Your Check Engine light will come on and then bring it to the dealer to read the code.

·
Registered
971 Posts
If I nudged it into first gear, wouldnt the gear indicator under the spedometer show that I put it in 1st? I've driven with the autostick and it wasnt in that mode. The gear selector indicator box was around the D with no other box indicating what gear I was in so I knew it was in automatic mode.
The transmission was in limp mode. It recognizes that your car has a problem with the transmission and will not go out of second gear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I first got the car, I did almost every morning, when pulling out of the driveway. I took me a while to stop leaning on the shifter while waiting to pull out into traffic.

·
Registered
322 Posts
......Im noticing that my RPMs are getting higher and higher as Im pressing on the gas, but the car isnt shifting out of first. I try to lay off the gas to bring the RPMs down (and possibly reset the trans.) then I gradually press on the gas again... 3000rpm...4000rpm...5000rpm w/o shifting back down. As soon as possible, I pull over to the side and turn the car off and back on. Luckily that worked and reset the system. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. The first time, I was sitting parked and idling for a lil bit while I was inputing data in the nav unit. When I put the car in D and started going it just wouldnt shift out of 1st gear........ Any ideas?
I have had a similar problem, though, My car would stick in second gear and not shift to 3rd gear - It would happen when I was accelerating from a stop or a roll, at Wide Open Throttle and sometimes at near WOT - It would happen both in auto-stick mode and automatic mode. I would have to coast a while, foot of the gas, and the transmission would resume regular functionality. Though, one time I pulled over and I put the car in park, waited a minute, then resume driving without an issue.

My problem seemed to be similar to what was posted in the following thread, but I did not hear a "pop" (as described in the noted thread) and I didn't get an engine warning light or code - The thread link is > http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30450

Anyhow, I had the TCM flash applied as noted in "TSB# 21-020-06" and the problem has pretty much gone away - except every now and then, it will stick in second, but if I let off the gas just a little, the transmission shifts properly without issue.

NOTE: In re-reading my post in the referenced thread, I see that I had posted 3rd gear to 4th, that was an error - it was 2nd to 3rd when the issue occurred.

hope that helps -

BT1024

1 - 11 of 11 Posts