Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks: Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue, and if so, how to resolve it.
I bought a new '11 Charger a couple of weeks ago (love, Love LOVE the car). It comes with a year of free Sirius satellite radio service and TravelLink. It does not come with real-time traffic, which I want. I called Sirius to ask about adding it (with the assumption I'd pay for that, while Dodge pays for the satellite service). The Sirius customer support person said the account was locked and they couldn't add the feature. (They were baffled about the account being "locked," meaning they couldn't change it.) Dodge customer service responded to an inquiry by directing me to the dealer. And the dealer said they'd look into it, but haven't gotten back to me.
It seems odd that you can get a year's free radio service when you buy a new car but can't change or add any features to that service for a year. I mean, I'm happy to give Dodge or Sirius the $10 a month -- or whatever the fee -- the real-time traffic nav would cost. Thoughts on what, if anything I do now? TIA.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's strange but I thought I saw videos with those features installed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's possible for the service to be added. But Sirius can't do so as long as Dodge has the account locked (since it provides the free, one-year subscription to Sirius) and no one at Dodge or my dealer appears to know anything about how to unlock the account so I can add it. It's odd when a company can't find some way to take money for a service you're willing to pay for, lol.

·
Registered
539 Posts
locked? i remember upgrading my free account when i first bought the car to the everything package for a few extra dollars but i did it online at the sirius website. try to register and set it up there. i doubt dodge has anything to do with it. i don't understand why it would be locked if you want to upgrade. are you leasing the car?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey rtjoe: That's pretty much all I want to do: Upgrade the account and pay the extra cost myself. I called and spoke to a Sirius customer service person who said the account associated with my radio was locked -- and the "owner" wasn't a person or dealer but a number. Said he hadn't seen that issue before and suggested I contact the dealer and Dodge. I bought the car, so it shdn't be a leasing issue....

·
Registered
539 Posts
ok then, exactly. i bought my car also. OUR names are on the titles. OUR cars, OUR radios. its ridiculous that you have to waste your time and make the effort to fix this by calling dodge or making a trip to the dealer. now that they sold you the car they probably want nothing to do with you, right? did you try doing the upgrade yourself at sirius.com?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey rtjoe. I haven't tried to update it myself on the Sirius site, but found where it's possible to do that. I also wonder now whether the GPS system in the Charger is even set up to display real-time traffic. It's not showing on a list of systems that does that, so this may all be for naught anyway. I'll poke around tonight when I can get the radio ID and see if I can do it myself. Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Weird. Mine came with a one year trial of the traffic service as well as the regular radio programming.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gladiator: Mine has TravelLink in addition to the radio. What I was hoping to add, if it's available, is the real-time traffic info, which shows green/yellow/red lines along major highways to indicate whether traffic is flowing. Last two cars I had had that service, which I really liked (but I was also on XM, not Sirius). The TravelLink is useful for weather/gas prices etc. but doesn't show me the real-time traffic flow....

·
Registered
539 Posts
oh, wow, you do have travel link! my car is only set up for traffic (wo/ travel link) which has saved my ass so many time from getting caught in bs. if i had the option for sirius traffic w/ travel link i'd get it for only $2 more a month. i signed up for the 3 year deal and saved some $$$. i understand what you're saying... all you need is real time traffic, but the weather and gas station prices is just cool to play with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed, rtjoe. I like the TravelLink and will keep that regardless. I just want to add the real-time traffic service. Of course, I'm not even sure the Garmin-based nav in the '11 Charger is set up for that feature. The dealership wrote me back today, said I must have missed an earlier e-mail and told me to call Sirius again -- supposedly, any issues have been resolved. So I'm going to do that and see what I can find out. I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
539 Posts
it says to press the menu hard key, then press travel link soft key. how can they give you that for free and not traffic. it doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And...I have an answer. This particular radio doesn't show up in the Sirius system as being capable of receiving real-time traffic updates, just TravelLink. I had suspected that might be the case. (You'd think the dealer would know that, but they may have misunderstood my question.) Not a huge deal, as I can always use the Maps app on my iPhone, which actually has better coverage. It just means that I won't have it integrated in the radio.... So now we know.

·
Registered
539 Posts
well there ya have it. thanks for the post btw. i went to http://mofv.com/mygig/ to see if i could find an answer for you and found that there were updates for my radio that im buring now lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey rtjoe: Excellent on the update for your system. I love crowd-sourcing questions, as everyone learns something. And I appreciate you looking for an answer to my question!

·
Registered
539 Posts
hold on... are you saying you have travel link and NO traffic? that doesn't sound right. edit:from sirius.com... What is the cost of Sirius Travel Link?
Sirius Travel Link is only available with compatible vehicle navigation systems. A complimentary period of service is typically included with the purchase or lease of a new eligible vehicle, which period may vary by vehicle model. After the initial period of complimentary service, you can purchase SiriusXM Travel Link for $1.99/month or SiriusXM Travel Link PLUS SiriusXM Traffic for $5.99/month

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Gladiator: Mine has TravelLink in addition to the radio. What I was hoping to add, if it's available, is the real-time traffic info, which shows green/yellow/red lines along major highways to indicate whether traffic is flowing. Last two cars I had had that service, which I really liked (but I was also on XM, not Sirius). The TravelLink is useful for weather/gas prices etc. but doesn't show me the real-time traffic flow....
Yeah I know. I have that. The older Nav from 06-10 has the traffic stuff but no weather or gas prices. I get the green lines and red lines and stuff. Have since day one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correct, rtjoe. I have TravelLink, but the radio doesn't support the separate real-time traffic info. Even though Sirius offers them in a bundle, I can only get TravelLink. So once the year's subscription is up, I'll be able to get the Sirius radio stations and TravelLink.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gladiator: I'd bet that since the radio doesn't support real-time traffic, Dodge figured they'd give people TravelLink as part of the one-year free subscription. I drive 50 miles each way every day for work (around Boston), so the real-time nav was handy. But I'm finding I can just check the Maps app on the iPhone and get pretty much the same info.
Off-topic, that daily commute is so much more fun now. I can't get enough of the Charger.

·
Registered
539 Posts
unbelievable. oh, well, like you said use the iphone. Gladiator, did you dl the latest updates? the gracenotes is a *****. its been going on almost an hour and im half way through using Fios 35/35 connection! oi vei

1 - 20 of 25 Posts