Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a sub box for 2-12's that ports up through the rear deck. I've built a couple of sealed boxes but the trunk seems to eat up most of the sound. I built a box with the subs facing toward the back of the car, and my latest box has the subs facing the back seat. It sounds pretty good now, but only when the back seats are down. I lose a lot of sound when the seats are up.

Has anyone done this with success? I will use some software such as Bass Box Pro or WinISD to make sure the port is the correct size and length and tuned correctly as well as I can. I will probably push the port through the 8" factory sub hole in the rear deck lid. I'd really like to get everyone's input on this, for I am looking to achieve the best sound possible out of my box and system.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A friend of mine in the blue 300 has done that. He did 3 12" jlw6's and did a blow thru through the deck. he cut the deck in a rectangle in i think it was 5"x14" and that was fed directly into the box with the 3 12"s

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
he isnt on any of the threads. im sure you will be able to pull it off

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
It looks like you are doing it the right way, using software to know the right specs. My personal opinion is to point them rear but leave space above the box and below the deck, that lets the bass move more freely through the trunk and will still sound better with the seats down but should be deeper all around. I used to build boxes for a custom shop part time, it can look custom while still being a functional box.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
What kind of equipment are you gonna run?

I plan to just pretty much eliminate all the rear sheet metal and fab something up in mine. I want the subs and the port to fire off the rear window; along with some rear fill...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My preferred method would be to do it like that, with the subs mounted in the rear deck firing up towards the window into the car. However, I'm not up for that much work, plus taking that chance of screwing something up. I can build speaker boxes out of wood, but that's about the extent of it.

I have (2) CVX 12s, (3) Audiobahn amps totalling about 1200 watts, Infinity 6x9's in the rear deck, Blaupunkt 5.25s in the front doors and Blaupunkt 3.5s in the dash, Batcap 300.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just posted a thread about having the same problem losing the base with the sub s firing towards the rear of the trunk.....i tried to turn em aroudn that didnt work.....i even have my rear deck ported and the box ported firiung through the rear deck......i even spoke to a few ppl who said it has something to do with the accoustics of the car....which suck.....im going to talk to someone about building a band pass seal/ported box completely built into the rear deck.... lemmme know how your box works out............im frustrated as hell trying to figure this all out...

·
Registered
831 Posts
another solution would be to cut out the material behind the armrest so when you fold the armrest down you have a port. just a thought. also if you dynamat your whole trunk and trunk lid you should gain a lot of sound.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had a car way back in 1995 a Grand Am GT. I used 4 12s in a iso bandpass box ported into the rear deck. The subs are all in there own chamber and they face each other. The sound is great, and there is little rattle from the trunk...

http://www.gohoautoaudio.com/html/boxes.htm

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I just posted a thread about having the same problem losing the base with the sub s firing towards the rear of the trunk.....i tried to turn em aroudn that didnt work.....i even have my rear deck ported and the box ported firiung through the rear deck......i even spoke to a few ppl who said it has something to do with the accoustics of the car....which suck.....im going to talk to someone about building a band pass seal/ported box completely built into the rear deck.... lemmme know how your box works out............im frustrated as hell trying to figure this all out...
elaborate on your setup...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wish I had pics of my last 300C, the only one I have is below, it shows the amps that I mounted to the box... I had a SEALED box built in the trunk that was bolted up under the rear deck. The hole in the rear deck was enlarged, and a JL 8W7 was put back there with 500 watts to it. It sounded sick I loved it, but I should have gone with a 10 or jammed a 12 in there.

The sub was in a sealed box... DO NOT TRY TO MOUNT A SUB TO THE REAR DECK, you will get tons of vibration and rattle. THe set up I used had no trunk rattle, and sounded crisp!

·
Registered
681 Posts
tight

Wish I had pics of my last 300C, the only one I have is below, it shows the amps that I mounted to the box... I had a SEALED box built in the trunk that was bolted up under the rear deck. The hole in the rear deck was enlarged, and a JL 8W7 was put back there with 500 watts to it. It sounded sick I loved it, but I should have gone with a 10 or jammed a 12 in there.

The sub was in a sealed box... DO NOT TRY TO MOUNT A SUB TO THE REAR DECK, you will get tons of vibration and rattle. THe set up I used had no trunk rattle, and sounded crisp!

Can you fit your golf clubs in there? ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes for sure. The box was very small for the 8... Even with the amp rack 2 sets fit easily. Remember this did not go to the floor, it was way above that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I talked to an install tech at the place where i bought my subs/amp and he says hes done about a dozen 300's and found that for some reason...facing the subs sideways in the trunk has a far better result than forward or backwards. It would look awful silly with a box in there sideways, but you may want to check it out and see if it does in fact make an improvement.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had a stereo place make me a custom plexi glass band pass box with 2 jl audio 13w6 subs and they made a port comming up from the top of the box that goes right into the ported hole they made in the back...IM sorry I don't have any pics but will post when the box is finished..It's a clean sound and the bass stays all inside the car no rattling...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts