Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 is too old and/or not optioned well enough to have the HID headlights, so I have been stuck trying to make the old school halogens work.

The lowbeams are 55w H11 style halogens, and I have tried various styles of the Sylvania bulbs, none providing much improvement to the overall poor performance of the lowbeams on this car.

I had pretty much resigned myself to the reality of the situation - I'm dealing with an inferior headlight housing design that is saddled with an outdated illumination technology. As such, there just ain't much I can do to improve the lowbeam headlights performance.

However, all may not be lost...yet. In a last ditch effort to get myself some decent lowbeam performance without installing a conversion kit and replacing all the associated hardware, I decided to give the 65w H9 halogen bulbs a try in the lowbeam slots. The H9s are normally a bright bulb or fog light bulb for other year models or different car models altogether, so a little modification of the bulbs' base was necessary to get them to plug into my lowbeam harnesses. That was done, and the bulbs do indeed plug in and work.

Now I wait...wait for dark so I can test these puppies out.

I don't know how many others are suffering in silence from this same problem, as it seems most everyone that doesn't like their halogens just upgrade to the LEDs. But for anyone that doesn't want to go that route, and for whom this little mod seems intriguing, check back later for the results of my real-time tests. I'm going to hit the road at dark and see if I can, well, see!

I'll update the thread with my results, good, bad or otherwise...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You might want to consider 9012 HIR-2 bulbs instead. They fit perfectly in place of 9006 bulbs with a slight modification to the tabs, and provide 1800 lumens vs around 1000 for the 9006.

They draw exactly the same power as the 9006 (55 watts) so you aren't drawing any more power than the circuit is designed for.

The 9011 HIR-1s make a great upgrade for your high beams, too...same 65 watts as your 9005s, but with 2300 lumens instead of 1750.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to consider 9012 HIR-2 bulbs instead. They fit perfectly in place of 9006 bulbs with a slight modification to the tabs, and provide 1800 lumens vs around 1000 for the 9006.

They draw exactly the same power as the 9006 (55 watts) so you aren't drawing any more power than the circuit is designed for.

The 9011 HIR-1s make a great upgrade for your high beams, too...same 65 watts as your 9005s, but with 2300 lumens instead of 1750.
Well I've already got the modified H9's stabbed and ready to go...so I'm pot-committed for at least this initial go-around. But if this does not work, I can look at these 9012 HIR-2 bulbs of which you speak. I have not seen this part number before though, is it a special order or otherwise difficult to acquire?

Also, I have H11 bulbs in my low beams, is the 9006 bulb plug-in the same as the H11 bulb's?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
They're not particularly hard-to-find, especially online. But, I thought you might have had 9006 low beams and not H11s. Sorry about that!

Good luck with the H9s. You could still do the 9011s in place of your 9005 high beams if you like.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it fills my old heart to the brim with joy to announce this particular hillbilly mod actually did what it was supposed to do!

Before, I was constantly straining to see what I was driving into when traveling on a darkened highway at 55+ mph, even outrunning my low beams if pushing past 70 mph. That is no longer the case with these H9s in the low beam slots.

I did have to stop twice and re-aim my headlights to point them down a little to keep them out of oncoming drivers' eyes, as was evident by the couple of folks who flashed me immediately after beginning my test drive. But once I got them dialed in, no more flashes from opposing drivers, and I was able to see what kind of trouble I was heading for at all times!

If anyone wants to consider this particular "upgrade", here's a breakdown of what you can expect to spend in terms of time and money to get it done:

Parts:
- 2 * Sylvania H9 halogen headlight bulb (65w) ~ $20 or less (mine were $7.33 each ordered from Amazon)

Labor:
- approximately 30 minutes (or less with proper tools) to modify the bulb housings (trim upper/inner tab between pongs to allow harness plug to fit)
- approximately 30 minutes to install the bulbs into the car

That's it. For a 20-spot and an hour of time, you too can see what you're driving toward at night now!

It truly is a glorious feeling!! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts