Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor is a cop for pembroke pines, FL and he gets to take home the new v6 Charger police cruisers. I just installed a K&N Intake, coated headers and a magnaflow double exhaust with carved out catalytic conv. this morning it was sort of a coincindence that we both left at the same time. Since it was 6 in the morning and no traffic, we basically had this long stretch of road to ourselves. So my neighbor the cop pulled up next to me and said lets race, I reminded him that i had the v6 assuming that all police chargers were hemified, he said that only the highway patrol and special units get Hemi privileges so i thought what the hell im gonna smoke this guy with all my mods and when else will i get a chance to street race a cop without getting arrested. Well as we were both stopped at a red light waiting for it to turn, I was feeling good when i timed the light perfectly and got the jump on him by about a second or two, well to my horror this guy peeled out like he had a 5.7 and smoked the living crap out of me. What the hell did this guy have?? There must be something nasty under that hood and im a hundred percent it was a v6'er he only had one exhaust pipe just like my stock had. I need answers....

·
Registered
14 Posts
First i would like to say that i love my new charger i bought the 3.5 v6 no mods yet but soon anyway when i was down at the dealer they should me a police charger that they were working on and they told me that most of the new police charger are 2.7l v6 with a turbo

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
First thing. What proof do you have tht your mods made you faster. Before and after dynos, strip times, that sort of thing. I ask becuase the 5.7 world is full of folks who made those sorts of changes, and becuase of the computer, didnt get any faster.

Aztek, theres no such thing as a turbo 2.7 motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
just cus that they don’t offer a turbo to the public that doesn’t mean the police doesn’t have them there are a lot of things that are not offer to the public that’s how the police keep a heads up

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
just cus that they don’t offer a turbo to the public that doesn’t mean the police doesn’t have them there are a lot of things that are not offer to the public that’s how the police keep a heads up
Bill knows his stuff. I have not heard of a production turbo'd V6 either - Police, or otherwise. I'm always open to correction - have you got a link to this information?

Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you guys might be right the dealer might have just told me that so that i would buy a 2.7 insead of the 3.5 that they didnt have a turbo would be cool to have

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
you guys might be right the dealer might have just told me that so that i would buy a 2.7 insead of the 3.5 that they didnt have a turbo would be cool to have
A dealer told you.... :nervous s . That's probably where the problem lies!

You're right - a blown V6 would be nice. :grin:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts

Actually, no, theres not a lot of things police have that the public cant get, and even fewer that we dont know about, if any. The police dont "keep a head up", by which I mean they dont have secret engine packages the civilians cant get, or dont know about.

At least since the 70s, anyway. Ever since the 80s, almost all police cars have been exactly the same as civilian models. Even the Mustang GTs that were used were the same, engine wise. I'm open to any information that can be backed up beyond heresay, but, like the SRT-8 police cars, once you close in on these things, they evaporate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I remember seeing something on tv, I think it was the crown vics but the narrator talked about the only differences being the engine cooling system, trans cooling system everything beefed up so that there was no breakdown during long persuit's. No real or unheard of advantages over public autos other than a few radiators here and there to keep the car going longer than us civilians. I would think the most important thing for a cop in a chase would be longevity not how fast can he go.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First thing. What proof do you have tht your mods made you faster. Before and after dynos, strip times, that sort of thing. I ask becuase the 5.7 world is full of folks who made those sorts of changes, and becuase of the computer, didnt get any faster.

Aztek, theres no such thing as a turbo 2.7 motor.
I never dynoed before and after or none of that because whats the point i have a v6 its not like im gona be draging with it. But after reseting the cpu i noticed a lil improvement like more pep mostly around 2500-3500 rpm but nothing too drastic but just enough to gain an edge against a stock v6 by like half a car length under perfect conditions. I timed 0-60 in stock with my cell phone stopwatch and the difference was give or take a second and from 60-100 it was a lil more pronounced more like 1.8 secs. so how did he catch up so freakin fast when i was flooring it??? I keep hearing everywhere that when dodge learns how to better program the cpu we can get a ****load more horsepower out these things, especially for the Hemi's. Maybe its chipped up who knows?? I talked to my neighbor and it definatley has no turbo or supercharger and he doesnt know much about cars but he says that his dept. took them to a mechanic shop for like 2 weeks immediatly after purchasing them.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I never dynoed before and after or none of that because whats the point i have a v6 its not like im gona be draging with it. But after reseting the cpu i noticed a lil improvement like more pep mostly around 2500-3500 rpm but nothing too drastic but just enough to gain an edge against a stock v6 by like half a car length under perfect conditions. I timed 0-60 in stock with my cell phone stopwatch and the difference was give or take a second and from 60-100 it was a lil more pronounced more like 1.8 secs. so how did he catch up so freakin fast when i was flooring it??? I keep hearing everywhere that when dodge learns how to better program the cpu we can get a ****load more horsepower out these things, especially for the Hemi's. Maybe its chipped up who knows?? I talked to my neighbor and it definatley has no turbo or supercharger and he doesnt know much about cars but he says that his dept. took them to a mechanic shop for like 2 weeks immediatly after purchasing them.

See if he will let you look under his hood to see if anything is different.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Get a picture under the hood so we can analyze the data and set the record straight.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Alomst all police cars go to a shop for whats called "upfitting". Thats where all the gear that particular department specifies gets installed. Radios, computers, lighting systems. No mechanical changes there. And theres no "chipping" to be done, since theres no chips for this car that does anything.

As far as Dodge "learning how to program these things", they already know. And they program as much as they can, given the restraints they have to live in. "Tuners" can talk all the crap they want, but none of them have to meet the same standards that the factory guys do.

None of them have to make a car last 200K, under the worst abuse imaginable. Most of these folks have no clue as to what goes into industrial testing standards, where things have to meet worst case scenario and survive.

Sorry about the mini rant:)

How was he able to pull away? No telling, but I know its NOT becuase the police cars have any extra power over stock 3.5s. BEcuase they just dont.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As an ex police officer I can tell you this... the car that "smoked" you was probably just a 3.5 upfitted (No speed limiter, beefed up suspension, and possibly bigger breaks). I highly highly doubt that there is ANY police car with a Turbo or Supercharger... they just put to much strain on the engine. And if you have ever talked with a police officer you will know that their cars can get driven very very hard, therefore a turbo or supercharger (at least at this stage in our cars young life) is not a good idea for a department fleet (very expensive investment). Now if our car had been out as long as the Ford Crown Vic there would already be an interceptor package (or something similar) offered by Dodge with a factory super/turbo charger. The reason you probably got smoked was driving experience, Police Officers are well versed on getting where they need to go as fast and safe as possible. You probably just got out drove.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As an ex police officer I can tell you this... the car that "smoked" you was probably just a 3.5 upfitted (No speed limiter, beefed up suspension, and possibly bigger breaks). I highly highly doubt that there is ANY police car with a Turbo or Supercharger... they just put to much strain on the engine. And if you have ever talked with a police officer you will know that their cars can get driven very very hard, therefore a turbo or supercharger (at least at this stage in our cars young life) is not a good idea for a department fleet (very expensive investment). Now if our car had been out as long as the Ford Crown Vic there would already be an interceptor package (or something similar) offered by Dodge with a factory super/turbo charger. The reason you probably got smoked was driving experience, Police Officers are well versed on getting where they need to go as fast and safe as possible. You probably just got out drove.
Maybe dude i just floored it with no tiptronic or anything, but its not like its stick shift how can a tiptronic make that much of a difference i mean even if i had a full tank and he had like a gallon, the weight advantage factored in with the driving ability could not do what he did in my mind. But anything is possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Being a Police Officer myself...who gets to drive a v6 Police Package...and who owns my own SE 3.5...here's my guess: The Police Car gets driven hard...often, Your Charger gets driven hard now and then. I think it's probably just Hal vs. Hal. I can feel the difference everyday (and will again shortly after midnight tonight!)

I'd try resetting the dang adaptive learning computer...and seek a rematch. Either that...or check to see if there's really a V8 under his hood...he may have knocked a tail pipe off somewhere along his patrol routes...

Roscoe has to have his fun now and then too!!!

Gunny sends

·
Registered
246 Posts
If there was any special power enhancements other than what is already listed in Dodges Police car specs, don't you think we would be the first to know?
The first time anybody cracked open a service manual and saw special part numbers, tolerance settings, service bulletins, etc. we would be screaming bloody murder trying to get ahold of these enhancements. Hasn't happened.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I talked with a lot of cops down here in Houston, all with Impala's and all of them have told me the same thing. Every car is different on the mods they get depending on the officer; mods go from i/h/e to ecu to forced induction, just varies on the officer's rank and needs. Even Crown Vics are modded here, show me one that can keep up with Vette's.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I talked with a lot of cops down here in Houston, all with Impala's and all of them have told me the same thing. Every car is different on the mods they get depending on the officer; mods go from i/h/e to ecu to forced induction, just varies on the officer's rank and needs. Even Crown Vics are modded here, show me one that can keep up with Vette's.

I'm sorry, cops are blowing smoke up your rear. Forced induction? I'll believe that when I see pics. See, an officer has absolutely no compunction against lying if he thinks it might make his job easier. And gearheads who think that that cruiser is faster than his car might not run because of that. I've seen an officer lie flat out to a room of 300 Sailors. Why? I assume becuase he thought that its better that these people think those were really red light ccams, not simple traffic flow cams.

Divine? Ive seen the tests of the "Interceptor" Crown Vic, its not much, if any faster. And the Camaros and Mustnags are the same, engine-wise, as civilians buy.

Here, read all three pages.....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1269541.html?page=1

Heres a good source of info on the Mustang, link is to one page from an article where they mention the MSP testing, note the numbers. Fast for a police car, otherwise, meh.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/90MMFF3.html

0-60 = 6.4
1/4 mile = 15.22

0-100? 18.66

And the Camaro, which info I'll dig up later, was the saem story. Better suspension, cooling, etc, but no faster than the civvie versions. I'm open to facts, but "my buddy had" really has no real info.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts