Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My hunting buddy lives in another state and is a police officer. His department has Chargers and I asked him how he liked them and had two complaints:

One of them sucked water into the engine. This doesn't surprise me because it appears that the source of fresh air is a vent below the grill and I could see someone moving through some fairly deep water and pulling in some water. Seems like a design flaw for the police package, however, because they may encounter such conditions and need to be able to deal with it.

Two of them went through brakes quickly. I suspect this was a result of hot-dogging, but I would have thought that the police package had better brakes than a regular R/T from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmm, sucking up water, eh? Youd need to be in water deeper than say hip deep, or deeper. Thats not a design flaw, thats a stupid driver. Cars are NOt trucks, and shouldnt be driven as such. The bottom of the airbox is the intake point, and that is actually shielded some by the bumper. You might even get away with hood height, if it were a short distance, and you kept moving, but its a gamble. What state is he from?

As for brakes, brakes have been a problem, not sure how sorted out it is, but dodge has been working on it. could still be hot dogging, lots of officers, after 30 years of driving anemic sleepmobiles, do go a bit nuts with real power.

·
Registered
130 Posts
One thing I noticed in police work is that some guys go through brakes like crazy, while others much less so. Driving style has a lot to do with it. My experiences are with take-home cruisers with only one driver per car. Some burned through brakes at 5k miles, while others could go 30k or more.

Most people would never drive their personal Charger as hard as a police cruiser.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I think PD's would be good candidates for EBC Yellowstuff pads. The dust wouldn't show so much on black steel wheels, either. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,630 Posts
Sucking in water???

I don't think they were designed as Amphibious vehicles...

:rolleyes2:

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
well i always beat the crap out the cars, just the nature of the beast. nothing liek the smell of super heated brakes :) .......i thought the problem with the charger brakes was that the rotor was made of crappy material .

·
Registered
373 Posts
old riding buddy of mine worked at a dealership and they serviced all the state troopers cars in the surrounding counties at this dealership. He said they are super hard on brakes and go through them twice as fast as you would on a normal vehicle.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Its a charger, not a zodiac. Design flaw? If your taking water THAT high.....your not the smartest driver.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
smart may not always be the case ! it could have been a case of boys being boys :) im guilty of that time and time again. :) heck one time i snaped the driveshaft on a crown vic launching hard and preloading the tranny to up about 3k rpm . now i know what a crown vic drive shaft can take ? going back to base was hysterical because the drive shaft was slapping the bottom of the car and the faster i went the more like a machine gun it sounded like. people where well to say the least freakin out as i was going by .god that was a fun 20 minutes lolololol.of course i never said how it happened :) like im sure the trooper isnt saying how it happened lololololol..

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
lololololol 120 proof i wonder what kind of power that would make.

·
Super Moderator
11,630 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
i wish they still made 94 octane.i dont even think sunoco makes 94 anymore at least no where around me in nyc .

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If the cars were sucking in water, than the LEOs were doing something they are not suppose to.
I have hydro locked a Crown Vic and I was doing exactly what I am supposed to do.

If saving someone's life results in a screwed up engine that is the price of doing business.

Not every situation allows you to step out with a tape measure and check the depth of the water that the bad guy just drove through at 60 mph.

Both the Vic and the Charger have similar problems with ingesting snow as well. I have had to stop and open the box and dig out snow just to keep them running.

I have also clogged a Vic filter with deer hair. :eek3:

The Charger is a far superior police car IMO but still falls far short of what it should be.

Hopefully the Carbon E7 pans out. http://www.carbonmotors.com/

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I don't see "snorkel intake and exhaust" on the specs for the E7! ;)

It would be pretty cool to see them on the road though! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I have hydro locked a Crown Vic and I was doing exactly what I am supposed to do.

If saving someone's life results in a screwed up engine that is the price of doing business.

Not every situation allows you to step out with a tape measure and check the depth of the water that the bad guy just drove through at 60 mph.

Both the Vic and the Charger have similar problems with ingesting snow as well. I have had to stop and open the box and dig out snow just to keep them running.

I have also clogged a Vic filter with deer hair. :eek3:

The Charger is a far superior police car IMO but still falls far short of what it should be.

Hopefully the Carbon E7 pans out. http://www.carbonmotors.com/
Be fair, sometimes what you, as a LEO, are supposed to do, exceeds the limits of the vehicle as designed. Not any fault of the car, nor of yours. Just the intersection of COTS equipment with LEO requirements. The Carbon would be nice, if reality can match the concept, but personally, I don't hold out much hope.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts