Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dodge Charger pursues high-speed police market; vehicle production advantages touted
RICK KRANZ | Automotive News
Posted Date: 5/26/05

Dodge says it can fill orders for 2006 Charger police cars quickly because the vehicles can be built one at a time rather than in batches.

Depending on price, that assembly method could give Dodge a sales edge. Production begins in the fourth quarter.

"We won't build the cars in batch form," said Craig Love, vice president of Chrysler's rear-wheel-drive product team. That's because police versions will not differ significantly from upscale Chargers.

Full Story

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well August is when the police cars are to start production.

here's the new Charger squad brouchure from Fleet; scroll down to the last 2 pics and click on each. There is an enlarge feature below (says something like download orignal picture)

public.fotki.com/copcardo...ure/dodge/

Here's a pre-production Charger squad in Maryland:

www.copcar.com/month.htm

It will be nice to see the new dog-dish

So the column shifter will have AutoStick toggle control and I bet it will be UP and DOWN in the direction I'm used to like my 94 Impala SS and 75 and 78 Dodge B-bodies (not to mention my poor 78 Malibu which was destroyed in 1998). I wonder how tough it will be to adapt this system to an R/T or SRT8 becuase I like the UP DOWN instead ofLEFT RIGHT.

PS why can I not start a new Thread from the forum index, I had to find an old thread to reply too; it says I don't have permission...

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Becuase those threads are the ones that are in the center when you pull up the main page, only Admins can start those.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I did not no this. So I can start a new thread in GENERAL DISCUSSION but not DODGE CHARGER NEWS. I guess I thought since August police build was news I would put it there.

I could have sworn I used to be able to start threads in the NEWS section or was that back in 2004/2003.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Or point the link out specifically to an admin and ask them to do it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Department of Public Safety (DPS), Texas, is in receipt of or already has twenty Charger units for testing purposes. Don't exactly know how they're equipped. Daytona owners beware. :eek:

·
Registered
215 Posts
These Chargers may see their first severe duty applications in Hurricane Rita operations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have heard that over 10,000 orders for the Dodge Charger AHB Pursuits/Interceptors have been received. Michigan State Police should be done with their tests and next month the Los Angeles Police Dept/ Los Angeles County Sheriff and the California Highway Patrol will be testing these cars soon. Will not be surprised that the CHP will pick the Dodge Charger Hemi AHB Interceptors over the Ford Crown Victoria for their new battlecruisers. I highly suspect that the Charger AHB HEMI will be the fastest four door sedan ever built, passing the 1969 Dodge Polara A38 Interceptor with a 440 Magnum 4bbl 375 hp 480 ft pds of torque that did 147 mph in the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea Michigan. (yes, that 4700lb squad with disc/drum brakes and aerodynamics of a cinder block!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let me clarify my statement above: AHB is a police package code used for years in the Chrysler camp now. A38 is the old code for police package before 1981. Dodge Charger Pursuit is the 3.5 liter V6 with 250 hp - 250 ft pds of torque. Dodge Charger Interceptor is the HEMI 5.7 liter with 350 hp 390 ft pds of torque. Unlike the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor that is chipped no higher that 130mph, the Charger AHB should hit 150 plus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh by the way, don't be surprised that some of the troopers/police officers driving the Crown Victorias/ Impalas have a bumper sticker saying "MY NEXT POLICE CAR IS GONNA HAVE A HEMI!"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pulled onto hwy 101 in Northern Cal. yesterday at a good clip and looked in my rearview and saw a black and white CHP coming up fast, As it got closer I realized it was a Charger. 2 troopers in the front seat with smiles on their faces as they came up on my rear. Those things look intimidating, not to be messed with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am I the only person that is pissed that the gov. gets enough spending money to spend it on that

and that is the miniscule trickle......it probably took millions of dollars to politicians in your state to get that done............most of it wasted on bureaucratic gov. organization

i hate my state-----hopefully others are smarter

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Manpower, care to tel us more about yourself? You sound like either a gearhead police officer or a cop car aficinado who has jumped the Charger wagon:) ahead of the flood I'm sure we'll see once this thng hits the streets.

In either case, welcome, you appear to know your stuff.

Doc? Do I know you from the SRTforums? And BTW, not to turn this into a political thing, but exactly what do you mean? Spend it on what? Testing police cars? Or those two troopers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, a confirmed police car nut. Here is the impressive part about the AHB Charger. The Charger have pulled more orders than the Intrepid which had a flaming brake problem for two of the three years tested at Los Angeles. (over 10,000 orders vs. approx. 5000 Intrepids built in 3 years). To compare this cruise missile to the P71 Crown Vic or the 9C1 Impala is comparing apples to oranges. To get a proper perspective to this new squad is to compare it to the Chevrolet Camaro Severe Service Package last built in 2002. Me thinks that this AHB Charger will outhandle, outbrake, and outaccerate every police package car, special service package SUV tested before and now tested to this point. I have heard that Dodge has tested the AHB Charger Hemi without the speed limiter and has reported that this car flew over 163mph plus with Z rated tires. But it will be chipped at 150mph because the county and state budgets have a cost ceiling of not paying tires that is over V rated (149 mph). But the 163mph squads will probably go to the Federal Government (try to purchase this car after 5 years at the auction). Here is my take: The Dodge Charger will make inroads with County and State Governments but will not be like the 60s, 70s and 80s, when you get the best performance and lowest bid price was Chrysler. The lowest bid price will be the P71 Crown Victoria. Why? The Crown Victoria has amoritized its stampings and construction long time ago. The redesigned 2006 Chevrolet Impala 9C1 with the new 3.9 liter motor has come out, will be second after the Crown Victoria. Stay tuned for more!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dr SRT, testing is very important. Any car manuafacturer can claim that they make a police package car, but to back it up , testing must be used to affirm or disprove the claim. The Michigan State Police (MSP) tests for top speed, braking and handling. Here is an example: Brake Test: Brake Heat-Up:
Phase 1: Two 90-0 decelerations @22ft.sec squared. Six 60-0 impending skid (abs) maximum deceleration rate stops) A 4 MINUTE HEAT SOAK (rememeber this is in rapid sucession!) Phase 2 Brake Heat-Up: Two 90-0 mph decelerations @22 ft.sec squared then another Six 60-0 impending skid (abs) maimum deceleration rate stops. Then they average the braking rate and give results: any severe brake fading, Vehicle stopped in straight line, and Vehicle stopped within correct lane. and to be under 160 ft. (police package car standard) The MSP test is brutal to be sure, but the West coast guys (LAPD, LASD and CHP) even more so tests for temperture rise in the coolant, transmission, oil and brakes using temperture probes plus the handling, gas mileage and accesability to fix underhood parts. The CHP takes the car and run the car for 25 miles at over 120 mph to see if the engine and transmission stay in one piece. Why they do that, you ask? Liability is one of the answers. A police officer is using his squad to respond to calls and the chances of that officer getting hurt more in accidents is even more so than the officer using his gun. Plus, if you had a really dumb city manager buying non-police package cars at full price and the car reaches 20,000 to 30,000 miles and began to fall apart, overheat, or brakes failing at the wrong time, at 6 months, you have a very big problem. Ask Baltimore PD about the civilian Taurus in the 90's The tests is published and can be mailed or e-mailed to any municipality to find the car they need. You want good gas mileage, OK Chevrolet Impala 9C1, Rear drive with proven components - Crown Victoria - Fast 60 to 130 mph catch times with decent gas mileage (26 mpg) on the highway, Hemi Charger . In other words to find the best car for the job. No more no less. And at the same time, the manufacturer get feedback from the testers to improve the cars. For example: Pre-2003 Ford Crown Victorias have a nasty habit of oversteering extremely quick at the handling limit. The testers ask for improvements and Ford replied by moving the shock absorbers outside of the frame rails, next to the tires and add a panhard rod to minimize axle shift at the limit. That is why testing may cost a little money, but paying out comprehesive and liability damages is even more so. Now I get off my soap box thank you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Manpower:

I wonder why DaimlerChrysler didn't opt to use the old "Pursuit" name for their new cruiser (the 78 Monacos were called Pursuit as well as the A38 code). Perhaps it's because GM of Canada uses the name in a Chevrolet cobalt 4dr twin.

You mention the 69 Polara 440 (which has been the benchmark car that all others have been judged over the decades). I believe the 94 Caprice 9C1 with the 5.7 came very close to that benchmark (the 95s and 96s were essentially identical) and the car before the 94 that was anywhere near close to the 69 was the 78 Monaco/Fury Pursuits.

You also mention that the new Charger is more like the Camaro special service car vs the Caprice/Impala 9C1. I'd say that's true, for the most part, as I owned a 95 Camaro Z28 with 3.23:1 posi rears/auto. I have also owned since new a 94 Impala SS (essentially a Caprice 9C1) auto with 3.08 posi and that car screams unmodified on the highway and mine does 0-96mph in 6.0s flat on a good day (and I have that good day captured on video on a crisp evening on a December filming, while driving, the digital display. It will do 6.5 on any day. This car was very fast off the line and on the highway at 4200lbs and only 260hp and 330lbs-ft of torque. The Charger R/T with the Perf Pack (Daytona power and suspension) was pretty darn good but not that much different than my Impala on the highway.

The acceleration felt closer to the Camaro, however, the Charger weighs in at 4100lbs and has 350hp and 390lbs-ft of torque. This tells me that the Charger should be MUCH faster off the line vs my Impala and it's not which tells me that if DaimlerChrysler's traction control circuits/ESP circuits can be defeated 100% and a limited slip axle added, more power to the ground managed properly will yield an acceleration time around 5.5s (to compare a 3400lb Camaro with 275hp/325lbs-ft did 0-96 in 5.8).

The Charger R/T is rated at 6.0s 0-96 (mind you Car and Driver got low 5s in one of their "banzai" car tests in a 5.7 Chrysler 300C last year but after how many tries; the car needs limited slip surely).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mopar G,

The Dodge division has not annointed the Charger a subname (Pursuit or Interceptor) as this time. However, the performance numbers I have gathered, calling the the Charger a Pursuit or Interceptor is to denote a class of Police Packages: 1. Patrol 2. Pursuit/Interceptor 3.Surveillance 4. Undercover 5. Taxi 6. Service.
But then again, I wish that Dodge did do the deed because the Crown Vic is awfully slow for the 4.6 liter engine with 250 horsepower and that is not an Pursuit or Interceptor as Ford has named after its Panther chassis. Here is the numbers for the 1994-95-96 9C1 Caprices:

1994 0-60 8.30 seconds
0-100 21.64 seconds
Top Speed: 141.2 mph
Quarter Mile: 16:18 seconds 86.8 mph

1995 0-60 7.53 seconds
0-100 22.43 seconds
Top Speed: 135 mph
Quarter Mile: 15.87 seconds 89.8 mph

1996 0-60 7.91 seconds
0-100 21.41 seconds
Top Speed 139 mph
Quarter Mile 16.14 seconds 88.0 mph

Let's compare the 1977/78 B-bodies Dodge Monaco/Plymouth Fury to the above stats:

1977 Dodge Monaco E86 440 4bbl 245hp 350lbs of torque

0-60 8.1 seconds
0-100 24.3 seconds
Top Speed: 126 mph
Quarter Mile: 16.3 seconds 88.2 mph

1978 Plymouth Fury E-86 440 4bbl 225hp 360lbs of torque

0-60 9.2 seconds
0-100 24.8 seconds
Top Speed: 132.7 mph
Quarter Mile: not listed

Both cars with the 2.71 gear ratio - It has been said that a 3.21 gears were used, it would get up quicker without losing top speed listed above.

But wait a minute here, these times are slow compared to the time I got from my personal car. Yes, the Michigan State Police test all cars with two people on board with approximately 300 lbs of equipment, like on the street. All these cars have no lightbar, spotlights or push bumpers on there because to make it fair. (slick top) If you add a lightbar on it, you lose 5 to 8 mile per hour top speed, single or dual spotlights, 1 to 4 mph or push bumpers an additional 2-5 mph. Unfortunatly I do not have the times of the Camaro Severe Service Package numbers to compare with the Charger AHB at this time. I shall dig some more .

·
Registered
41 Posts
MoparG said:
Manpower:

I have also owned since new a 94 Impala SS (essentially a Caprice 9C1) auto with 3.08 posi and that car screams unmodified on the highway and mine does 0-96mph in 6.0s flat on a good day (and I have that good day captured on video on a crisp evening on a December filming, while driving, the digital display. It will do 6.5 on any day. This car was very fast off the line and on the highway at 4200lbs and only 260hp and 330lbs-ft of torque. The Charger R/T with the Perf Pack (Daytona power and suspension) was pretty darn good but not that much different than my Impala on the highway.

The acceleration felt closer to the Camaro, however, the Charger weighs in at 4100lbs and has 350hp and 390lbs-ft of torque. This tells me that the Charger should be MUCH faster off the line vs my Impala and it's not which tells me that if DaimlerChrysler's traction control circuits/ESP circuits can be defeated 100% and a limited slip axle added, more power to the ground managed properly will yield an acceleration time around 5.5s (to compare a 3400lb Camaro with 275hp/325lbs-ft did 0-96 in 5.8).

The Charger R/T is rated at 6.0s 0-96 (mind you Car and Driver got low 5s in one of their "banzai" car tests in a 5.7 Chrysler 300C last year but after how many tries; the car needs limited slip surely).
I certainly hope you realize the typo you made (repeatedly). There is no way that those cars are running those 0-96mph times. Those are the 0-60mph times that are posted all over the place. Maybe you meant 0-96kph?

1 - 20 of 213 Posts