Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2014 White Dodge Charger RT(Straight Pipe System,Res Delete) (Dyno/Tune,) (KN CAI) 20' HCat Replica)
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ChargerForums! I've got a question for those knowledgeable about Police Packages! It's open to anyone, but the more you know the better. I saw a 2015 Police Package for sale at about 80k miles for about $11k. I just want to know more about them. Are they worth it over normal? What can you do with them? Can you make them more civilized? I'm not a big fan of the on the column over the 8spd on the floor, but not much I can do about that. Are the rims changeable? the center console(can I do anything with it or even change it out?), Can I put the 8.4 in screen in it? What can I do with the Aux buttons on the steering wheel?
I know this is a long read, but if you did, Thanks so much! Please share this to anyone you know that may know about all of this. Feel free to throw out anything you know too!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is it all wheel drive or rear wheel drive? Bare in mind, ex-police cars lead hard lives. They also have very stiff suspensions that you may not be able to live with. If it's rear wheel drive, get it cheap.

Greg

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,111 Posts
2015 is a 5 speed NAG1. You can convert to the floor shifter. Takes work and lots of parts.

Yes you can add the larger screen with nav and such. Just costs money. Been done look on FB for parts and people having done it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wheels, interior shifter etc is all swappable and not too hard. They should be a bit cheaper then normal charger. The good about them is heavy duty parts. Look over it well before buying to make sure your not buying one they spent all its time foot to the floor and running over stuff.

Spend some time browsing the forums and all answer a lot of your questions.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Charger Pursuits are do not command a price premium over R/Ts, it's the other way around. That's why you'll see so many retired Pursuits advertised for sale as R/Ts, which they absolutely are not.

Since the very stiff suspension and typical hard life of a Pursuit has already been brought up, I'll just add that you should always check the service hours of any potential Pursuit purchase. Then divide the odometer mileage by the hours and get the average speed. Given the same mileage number, an ex State Police or Highway Patrol unit with an average speed of 45 MPH is a better bet than an ex municipal unit with an average speed of 15 MPH.

A solid, clean, well maintained Pursuit can be a great way to get the Hemi Charger experience at a low price, although the one you described doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
2014 White Dodge Charger RT(Straight Pipe System,Res Delete) (Dyno/Tune,) (KN CAI) 20' HCat Replica)
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right. I ended up finding a better deal on a 14 RT, but I'd still like to learn about Police Packages... maybe for a future project, but anyway, keep the info coming guys thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Chrysler 300S
48 Posts
If you don’t have extra cash for repairs, a used police car is a bad investment. People think they are always maintained excellent, but usually they get used and abused. When they have major issues or high mileage they get dumped. The first used police car I got needed timing chain and guide replacement, new transmission due to burned up od band, and all the little things like shocks replaced. All of this in the 15k I owned it - and it only had 60k on the clock (all cars from this dept get sold at that mileage). You also get to deal with electrical gremlins from hacked wiring from the emergency equipment removal. I installed those for a few years so I know it can be a royal pita to fix.

Make sure you look over everything thoroughly before buying if your heart is set on it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
They get abused but they are usually maintained better then most used cars. The only things mine needed was a headlight bulb, a couple new brake rotors because they were pitted with rust from sitting (probably could have been cleaned up) and a u-joint was seized. All done when i first bought it. I've bought ones in the past that didn't need anything. Some are junk but you can tell pretty quickly when you look at them. There's also the problem of things missing like spare tire parts or trim pieces.
Wiring is a hit or miss. I've never had to do anything other then remove some redundant stuff left behind.
For both cases look over the car well ahead of time and you'll get an idea if it's a good buy or not.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,111 Posts
They get abused but they are usually maintained better then most used cars. The only things mine needed was a headlight bulb, a couple new brake rotors because they were pitted with rust from sitting (probably could have been cleaned up) and a u-joint was seized. All done when i first bought it. I've bought ones in the past that didn't need anything. Some are junk but you can tell pretty quickly when you look at them. There's also the problem of things missing like spare tire parts or trim pieces.
Wiring is a hit or miss. I've never had to do anything other then remove some redundant stuff left behind.
For both cases look over the car well ahead of time and you'll get an idea if it's a good buy or not.
I was going to say, everyone hops of the Pursuits are POS beaten to death yada yada yada.

Better service history on fleet cars than a lot of personal cars. The only Pursuit I would not want is a local city car. I would take a State Patrol car any day. They are Take homes, and they are held responsible for thier car.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
I happen to like the Pursuits for what they are; column shift, the wheels, etc., etc., Sounds like you do not, so why get a Police car.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Won't have the column shifter to kick around any more, it's on the floor now oh yeah for 2021.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
They're still advertising it on column for 2021 pursuit.
The 2021 cars will have the A8 and the two 2021 test cars that FCA sent to Michigan for the State Police tests both had floor shifters. So guess we will see.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The 2021 cars will have the A8 and the two 2021 test cars that FCA sent to Michigan for the State Police tests both had floor shifters. So guess we will see.

Who knows. Maybe they didn't have the parts worked out yet when they did testing but column shifter is listed as standard option. Being in the console is in the way of too much equipment.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Who knows. Maybe they didn't have the parts worked out yet when they did testing but column shifter is listed as standard option. Being in the console is in the way of too much equipment.
I asked that question when I first saw the floor shifter and was told the radios and equipment can be worked through the Uconnect now so not an issue. I agree with you though, the column shifter seems like a better idea or maybe a rotary. The floor shifter definitely does seem in the way.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,901 Posts
There is a "Street Appearance Package" offered for pursuits that has the floor shift and clad wheels, I don't kow the rest of the package items.
The last one I gave a walk around was a 2014 County Sheriff's car here. And I have seen it pulling a car over in traffic.

I think the wheels were different on these packages between 2WD/4WD and V6/V8 units.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
The Street Appearance Group cars have a console (see pic) but the A5 shifter was still on the column.

SAG includes:
Full wheel covers
Heated mirrors
Front reading/map lights
Illuminated cup holders
Full length civilian floor console
Dual remote USB ports for charging
Rear climate control outlets
Floor carpeting with front and rear carpeted mats

LDDE48 has a new 2021 on order so hopefully it comes in soon and we can see some pics and what they did with the shifter for the A8.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,901 Posts
I see. The one I seen while talking to the officer with my R/T of the same color parked along side it at Shane's Ribb Shack had a floor shifter and I specifically asked about the console shifter hearing the words "Street Apperance Package" for the 1st time. So I dunno, maybe special order or a fleet upfitting, or a load of BS.
The 1st thing I looked for was the BR9 brakes and they were there.

If you wanna see lots of department vehicles, City, State, & County and EMT & Fire as well go to a place tlike this at lunch time.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Well that is very interesting, never have seen a floor shifter on a factory Pursuit but guess the BR9 brakes don't lie.

This is the floor shift test car they sent to Michigan, supposedly a 2021.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've never seen it either. I was trying to get a street appearance package car a month or two ago, it had radio plate not the console but could have been ordered that way.
I.don't know how much integration with the screen the equipment has unless its new equipment that's compatible. It's funny that both dodge and ford say that yet all but the base package still comes with the radio mounting console and default equipment installed in it.
That picture of the floor console also looks like it has the auto climate control button. I don't know about 2021 but other years it wasn't available. Maybe they sent a regular charger with the police stuff added to it. Pedals aren't the stock police style either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts