Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a car show this weekend, I was surprised to see a Park Ranger driving a Dodge Charger RT. Naturally, I had to find him and talk to him about his ride. One thing that I asked him was why the Park Service had gone with the RT over the V6. He told me that they looked at the V6 initially, but decided to get the RTs because they were only a few hundred dollars more than the V6s. He also said...and this surprised me...that when they were testing the Chargers, the V6s actually out ran and out performed the Crown Vics that they had (NOTE: this was his actual personal experience...not some "hear-say" that he was passing on).

I guess that's "one for the V6". :D

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
In the mosr recent Michigan State Police testing, which, being the Charger geek I am, I happen to have right in front of me (you can too, just Google Michigan State Police testing":) The V6 Charger and Magnum both lapped Grattan Raceway with times that were almost identical to the V8 CVPI.

5 laps each were run by four different drivers, and times averaged out.

CVPI w/ 3:55 gears
Mn:Sec:Hundredths

01:40:46
01:41:20
01:41:60
01:40:60

AVG: 01:40:91

Charger 3.5

01:41:04
01:41:48
01:41:11

So, the 3.5 Charger averaged only .2 seconds behind the CVPI

The Hemi?

01:37:69. or 3-4 seconds faster:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am a police officer and I can tell you that the V6 Charger will out perform the CVPI any day of the week. Also, it is a more comfortable and roomy vehicle.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the mosr recent Michigan State Police testing, which, being the Charger geek I am, I happen to have right in front of me (you can too, just Google Michigan State Police testing":) The V6 Charger and Magnum both lapped Grattan Raceway with times that were almost identical to the V8 CVPI.

5 laps each were run by four different drivers, and times averaged out.

CVPI w/ 3:55 gears
Mn:Sec:Hundredths

01:41:20
01:41:60
01:40:60

AVG: 01:40:91

Charger 3.5

01:41:04
01:41:48

So, the 3.5 Charger averaged only .2 seconds behind the CVPI

The Hemi?

01:37:69. or 3-4 seconds faster:)
Sweet...empirical data to support a "seat-of-the-pants" observation. :nerd:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
When I got my SXT, I offered to one of the Seargents if he wanted to take it for a test drive... (I do volunteer work for the local PD)... maybe I'm glad he didn't. I might not have got it back! :grin:

Our PD all use Impala's now. Our patrol car for the Citizen's Patrol is the only CV left in the fleet! Also the only one in the dept. with a trailer hitch at the moment, so the Sarge uses it to take out the Speed Trailer! :alien:

(I wonder if I could arrange with one of the other volunteers to do an informal "comparison" of the two... hehe. Not entirely fair, as the CV has well over 100, k miles on it.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have also read a few articles about law inforcement depts around here buying a few Chargers over the Crown Vics.

The overall performance of the Charger overtakes the CVPI in everyway. the only problem is that the Chargers are more expensive than the CVPI's

·
Registered
141 Posts
While, the CVPI may be more of a dog than the charger, I bet the charger wouldnt fair quite as well in a collision...

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The Hemi doesnt cost too much more. As far as collision, I'd say it will do as well or better, since its unibody has the benefit of 10 more years of research into crashes. And is more likely to avoid a crash, thanks to better brakes and ESP.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The Hemi doesnt cost too much more. As far as collision, I'd say it will do as well or better, since its unibody has the benefit of 10 more years of research into crashes. And is more likely to avoid a crash, thanks to better brakes and ESP.
About the same actually, but I agree that we will have less accidents with the Chargers.

http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm?myClass=PC&myYear=2006&myMake=Dodge&myModel=Charger&GoButton=View+specific+vehicle

VS

http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm?myClass=PC&myYear=2006&myMake=Ford&myModel=Crown+Victoria&GoButton=View+specific+vehicle

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was told by the "sales person" that the charger was a frame on body... Its a unibody? Never actually climbed underneath to see. I realize the sales person usually cant tell his/her head from their ass, as I was also told by the same person that you could get a hemi with the SXT... :lol:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I was told by the "sales person" that the charger was a frame on body... Its a unibody? Never actually climbed underneath to see. I realize the sales person usually cant tell his/her head from their ass, as I was also told by the same person that you could get a hemi with the SXT... :lol:
Aren't salesmen and dealerships in general great! Chrysler hasn't built a body on frame passenger car since the 50's. The talent pool must be about an inch deep for the dealerships to draw their employees from. Most people that work at Burger King know their product better.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I ran side by side with a CVPI from 0 to a speed above the speed limit :) and my SXT stuck neck and neck the entire time.

We didn't mash on it from 0 so I'm not claiming to have stuck with him from the jump so don't flame.

I was really surprised that he didn't pull away from me. He said the same thing though, his PD tested the Chargers and was very impressed with the V6.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts