Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

NHSP Charger was rear-ended on the highway today...

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
I'd bet he got hit doing a traffic stop.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I co-sign that thought, guaranteed it was during a traffic stop
That is why traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things that a cop can do, especially on the highway. Glad to see the car held up very well though. Honestly though, what kind of genius does it take to hit a cop car that has someone stopped, especially with all of the LED's and lights that these cars have on them now!?

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
That is why traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things that a cop can do, especially on the highway. Glad to see the car held up very well though. Honestly though, what kind of genius does it take to hit a cop car that has someone stopped, especially with all of the LED's and lights that these cars have on them now!?
Isn't it law in some states that when you see a police cruiser parked on the side of the road making a traffic stop that you are supposed to get into the far lane? I heard it was, and if you don't you are liable to get a fine if there is another cop around to stop you.

I always pull into the far lane when I see a cop...I have seen too many videos of crashes like this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Isn't it law in some states that when you see a police cruiser parked on the side of the road making a traffic stop that you are supposed to get into the far lane? I heard it was, and if you don't you are liable to get a fine if there is another cop around to stop you.

I always pull into the far lane when I see a cop...I have seen too many videos of crashes like this.

Hardly anybody heeds those laws.....Kudos that you do!:clap:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Hardly anybody heeds those laws.....Kudos that you do!:clap:
Thanks. I guess I value not only my life but others' as well. I cringe when I see people fly by cars parked on the side of the road like that. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

There is a law like that here in Oklahoma. If your unable to move over, your supposed to slow down. Since I do half of my driving at night, I'm able to move over. Quite a few others do also.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
It's now law in OH that you must slow down or pull over for both Police cars AND Tow-Trucks!

I've also read articles in reference to drunk-drivers, they tend to be drawn to the lights and actually drive right into them! :eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's now law in OH that you must slow down or pull over for both Police cars AND Tow-Trucks!

I've also read articles in reference to drunk-drivers, they tend to be drawn to the lights and actually drive right into them! :eek:
I'm pretty sure that's the law in most states now, at least I know it is in MI as well. I have noticed that in Michigan a lot of people heed this law quite well. I have a TON of respect for the police as they are not "trying to screw me" like a lot of people think, they are just doing their job and if I get pulled over I was doing something wrong. I've never been unjustly pulled over in my short life. I normally even move over or slow down for cars on the side of the road if people are changing a tire or if someone is outside the car. I've been buzzed a few times while changing a tire on the side of the road and it is scary as hell to have someone fly by you doing 85 a few feet from you.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

In Arkansas it is pretty strictly enforced. I have seen people get pulled over for not moving into the far lane.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts

Yeah, im pretty sure in West Virginia it's the law, and probably in many other states as well. In fact I was just talking to my gf about that a few days ago, I think she said her mom got pulled over and got a ticket for it.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Well, Dodge built the back end to meet an offset rear collison standard that didnt go into effect til this year. Seems to have been a good design.

In addition, the LX was designed to meet future rear crash standards, including a 50-mph offset rear crash. "We used multiple impact zones, including the spare tire and well, to protect the fuel tank," says Seel.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
So your saying my spare tire delete mod could possibly endanger my fuel tank if rear ended? :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Possibly. Heres what you could do. The SRT-8s have a hard foam insert for that cavity, which I suspect is mostly to make the SRT-8 crumple like the spare tire would.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So your saying my spare tire delete mod could possibly endanger my fuel tank if rear ended? :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
Makes sense if you think about it and look at the picture of the cop car. The tire/wheel is very lightly damaged compared to the rest of the car. The whole idea of all that damage is to absorb the energy of the impact so that less is transferred to you. Think about any professional race car you have seen crashed, the entire thing essentially falls apart. With every piece that falls off/smashes in, the crash energy is absorbed. Eventually something big needs to stop the other car though, such as a frame (or in this case the spare tire and rim). This ensures that the passengers in the rear seats (again see the picture) do not get harmed by the passenger compartment crushing. You might end up with a sore neck/back, but you wont have broken legs due to the passenger compartment collapsing or have 1st degree burns due to the gas tank exploding.

It's the same idea with the front end, the bumper, hood, etc. crumple and the engine stops the forward motion of the other car. Thus the crumpled parts absorb a lot of the impact energy and the engine keeps you from getting smashed by the other car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts