Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: The shift knob on the 2007's was changed mid-year.
Edit: See http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105735 for more pics and info on how to remove the shift knob
If your car was built on or before 03/18/2007, it has the threaded shift knob and the instructions and pictures in this thread do not apply. Just turn the sucker and it should spin off.

If your car was built on or after 03/19/2007, then it has the pull-off shift knob and you should keep reading, because this applies to you.

For those of you wondering, OEM part number for the pull off shift with leather and red stitching is 04578694AA. Thanks to frogzilla8 for confirming this info.​
More pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrdolomite/tags/shiftknob/

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
is that the work of BT? i really wanna get the ball, they look so clean.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't played pool in a while, what number is missing from that ball. :rolleyes:

J/j It looks nice.
Heh, for those who still couldn't figure it out, it started life as a 4 ball, which is purple. Dang digital cameras just can't seem to photograph that color very well.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
is that the work of BT? i really wanna get the ball, they look so clean.
Nope, just home grown. Because of the goofy pull off shifter in the late model 2007s, BT doesn't have an adapter for them yet. Right now, it's just slipped onto the shaft and in extreme shift-mergencies it could pull off. I have my fabrication department, also known as my Dad, working on a more permanent attachment method.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Chrome Ring - external view

The chrome ring which causes all the anxiety and issues. That little slot (which faces the front of the car when it is on the shifter shaft) does _NOT_ contain a set screw or any other item which would release the ring. My guess is that maybe it used to in the earlier models, but not on the late 2007s

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The Chrome Ring - internal view

The interior of the chrome ring, The four small, rectangular indentations at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 and 10:30 at the outermost edge of the ring are receivers for the four small, rectangular clips on the shifter knob. This is why to remove the ring, you just wedge something (something non sharp, like putty knife) between the ring and the knob and slowly push down.

Also at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 and 10:30, further towards the bottom of the ring, and innterwards from the indentations above, are four small vertical ridges. These push against four large, white tabs on the shift knob itself and hold those tabs into the slot on the shift knob shaft. See pics that follow and it will make more sense.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The Shift Knob - removed

The infamous pull off shift knob. The small, c-shaped plastic tab, at 3:00, is one of four tabs which click into receivers on the chrome shift ring, see previous pic.

The four long plastic tabs, at 6:00, each have a small ridge on the inside of the plastic which click into the slot on metal shaft, see next pic. These tabs are held in place by the four plastic ridges on the interior of the chrome ring, see previous pic.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Shift Shaft - revealed

The shift knob shaft, with both the chrome ring and shift knob removed. The small slot in the middle of the shaft is where the four tabs of the shift knob click into, see previous pic. This is what prevents the knob from pulling off, especially after the chrome ring is in place, as it keeps the four tabs from flaring out to release.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Shift Shaft - revealed part II

The end of the shift knob shaft is not threaded, but has been milled to have two flat sides (which face the left and right of the car). This slips into a corresponding slot deep inside the shift knob, which prevents the entire knob assembly from turning, even under extreme shifting.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cool idea. It is a different look

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Thanks for the info ..... I now that eventually I'll be changing out the shifter knob on mine too, and with a 6-2007 build date, it's gotta be the pull-off type ...

Again, thanks for the info and the pics to make it much easier to understand ... :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
The chrome ring which causes all the anxiety and issues. That little slot (which faces the front of the car when it is on the shifter shaft) does _NOT_ contain a set screw or any other item which would release the ring. My guess is that maybe it used to in the earlier models, but not on the late 2007s

hmm this is funny. i have an EARLY 07 build. january something of 07 and my Know is this type

·
Registered
199 Posts
looks like we kicking it old school... nice mix the new with the old...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The ball above is exactly what I want, does anyone make that for the new/non-threaded stick?
Not that I ever found, and I'm a pretty good googler. BT was talked about making an adapter, but I think it was going to add some bulk to the knob, plus they had so many other cool things to keep them busy. If you have access to a drill press and a micrometer you can roll your own. If not, give a PM and I might be able to hook you up.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Edit: The shift knob on the 2007's was changed mid-year.
If your car was built on or before 03/18/2007, it has the threaded shift knob and the instructions and pictures in this thread do not apply. Just turn the sucker and it should spin off.

If your car was built on or after 03/19/2007, then it has the pull-off shift knob and you should keep reading, because this applies to you.
NUTS! Guess I got a freak knob or something....my build date is 3/9/07 and its a pull off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts