Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at possibly buying a 2008 R/T and it has MYGIG, and the dealer's site listed options say it has satellite (not just satellite ready). But I can not find a typical satellite antenna on this vehicle.

On the rear of the roof it has a black 8" whip, but at the base of that whip it is about the same size of what a satellite radio antenna would be without the whip. I'm curious, is this antenna only for the FM tuner, or is it FM and SAT?

Here is a picture of the antenna in question, can someone please identify if this is strictly FM or does it have the Sirius ant built in.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The combination of base and whip is for the FM and satellite. The whip part is the FM and the base is for satellite. Many people replace the long FM antenna with a stubby, which in my opinion looks much better and seems to work just as well (depending on area). I can't remember the website that sells the stubby, but I'm sure someone will chime in with it.

So to answer your question, the antenna pictured includes the sirius antenna.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWESOME! Thanks for that response. I was hoping that was what it was. I didn't really want to have to add an additional antenna to the roof for satellite. I knew that the base of that thing had the same dimensions of a typical OEM satellite antenna. I just wasn't sure. I probably would replace the whip with the shorter one too.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
that is the same as mine - i think part of it is for the remote start. - i could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
that is the same as mine - i think part of it is for the remote start. - i could be wrong.
I have the antenna pictured and do not have remote start, but that's not to say they don't also hide the remote start antenna inside there somewhere. I wouldn't imagine the remote start antenna is very substantial.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
^^^ yea your probably right. they do sell after market remote start, i wonder where they mount that. also a buddy of mine installed a mygig and put the antenna above the unit in the dash, and it works. so who knows what the heck is in the antenna! :)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
And for those who like to be able to identify model years using visual cues, the '08 Charger is the only model year with this style of combo antenna. At least from what i have found so far.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
what is the "O series" do you have a pic?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
And for those who like to be able to identify model years using visual cues, the '08 Charger is the only model year with this style of combo antenna. At least from what i have found so far.
Upon seeing another Charger on the road, I like to quiz my wife as to what year(s) it could be based on the antenna and tail lights.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Upon seeing another Charger on the road, I like to quiz my wife as to what year(s) it could be based on the antenna and tail lights.

Other than the '08 antenna and the '09 taillights, I'm not sure of how to tell the older ones apart.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Other than the '08 antenna and the '09 taillights, I'm not sure of how to tell the older ones apart.
Well, can distinguish the R&T package Chargers apart between '06 and '07 based on wheels and spoilers and what not. I guess I should have mentioned I do use more cues than just antenna and taillights. It's hard with non-R&T package cars between '06 and '07.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
But wheels and spoilers can be changed. But I guess with time you can learn. I can spot a Dakota R/T from a distance even compared to a lowered nonR/T dakota.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
But wheels and spoilers can be changed. But I guess with time you can learn. I can spot a Dakota R/T from a distance even compared to a lowered nonR/T dakota.
I didn't mean to imply that I can eye any modified Charger on the road and tell the year (I cannot). It's meant to be very lighthearted. If I see a 2009 based on tails, I'll ask her what year it is, and I'll even say, "look at the tail lights." Or if I see a 2008, I'll ask her what year and say, "look at the antenna." Often, the average person doesn't notice (nor cares about) the subtle changes between years.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that I can eye any modified Charger on the road and tell the year (I cannot). It's meant to be very lighthearted. If I see a 2009 based on tails, I'll ask her what year it is, and I'll even say, "look at the tail lights." Or if I see a 2008, I'll ask her what year and say, "look at the antenna." Often, the average person doesn't notice (nor cares about) the subtle changes between years.
I completely understand. Most people couldn't pick a Dakota R/T out of the crowd either. Let alone, know there was ever a R/T model of the Dakota made, or that they put the 5.9L in them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the small antenna at the front of my roof is for? Is it for the Sat TV?
Yes, that antenna is only there if the car came with VES and Sat TV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts