Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys please can someone explain the difference between "heads" and "headers"; long tube vs short tube (what are we talking about); and the almight "cat back". Will these parts really make a difference or do we already have pretty good ones already. Last question i have super 40' mufflers on original piping is that ok along with heads and headers or do I need short or long tubes? Get were Im going with this? CONFUSION

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
1) Heads: these are the parts that bolt to the engine and contain the upper valve train. Aftermarket heads are usually replaced with a cam swap to compliment the total package with increased airflow.

2) Headers: these are used to replace the OEM exhaust manifolds. Two types exists, short tube and long tube. Short tube headers are sometimes referred as "shorties". Each configuration, long vs. short, has their own characteristics with regards to the where the torque is best at a specific RPM range, i.e., at the lower RPM band or increase the upper RPM band. Personal preference, ease of installation and reading results from others will help you make a decision on what to get.

3) Cat-back: this is where you replace the entire exhaust system from the end of the catalytic converter on back. Increases exhaust flow and reduces back pressure. Ideally, you also want to replace the cats with the "high flow" variety. Some long tube packages include these.

Your 40's are fine, and basically just change the the tone of the exhaust. Not sure it would help much with increasing HP.

Now with so much to choose from, I'd read what others have done, look at your budget and make a informed decision. GL...

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Great write up Crow. A few things to add. Long tube headers very often come with the high flow catalytic converters. Headers allow the engine to exhale better. The more air you can move through the engine, the more hp your engine makes. Some high flow long tube headers however can cause a check engine light sometimes because of the rear oxygen sensors. Mopar or AEM long tube headers do not have this problem.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

thats stock exhaust, hand drawn by yours truly in CAD
:D good luck

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sweet!!!! Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
this one? :D :D :D

:rockon:

·
Registered
676 Posts
this one? :D :D :D

:rockon:

I think this pic should be added to the Charger Forums banner at the top of the page. It could be cropped to fit in that red empty area in between the chargerforums.com and the R/T badge. That way anyone visiting the site can be in awe of the Hemi and its exhaust layout with that stunning picture :)

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
That etch-a-sketch picture is always good for about 90 seconds of chuckle every time I see it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys for all the write ups much gratitude

·
Registered
260 Posts
so in terms of making a purchase do you have to buy each part separately (headers, tips, resonators, cat, suitcase etc..) and weld it together and have it installed or is there packages that are offered that have everything ready for you?

Also i have a High output V6 and it only came with 1 exhaust...now i do want another one and i wanna give it a reall meaan sound. what is the best package i can get for:

a) under $300
b) under $500
c) under $800

I'm still trying to figure out how i can a really sweet sound at a reasonable price.

I really like the way the Super 44's sound (as i heard on youtube). not sure how much those are as well so if you guys could give me a hand as to the specifics I need for my model (2009 Dodge Charger SE w/ upgraded High Output 3.5L V6).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts